Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

why no F award seats on connecting flights with int'l biz awards?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16, 2019, 9:49 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold

I have 4 international J saver award tickets booked. I was able to easily find saver biz space on the TATL and TPAC flights on both UA metal and partners. But I can never seem to get a F award seat on the UA flights to/from MCI that connect with the overseas flights.

I have MCI-ORD in econ, ORD-NRT in J
I have ICN-SFO in J, SFO-MCI in econ
I have MCI-ORD in econ, ORD-CPH in J
I have ARN-IAD in J, IAD-MCI in econ

Has anyone ever gotten a saver F seat on the connecting domestic flight for a saver biz award? Is this just the way UA doles out saver awards?
Old Aug 16, 2019, 9:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by susiesan
Has anyone ever gotten a saver F seat on the connecting domestic flight for a saver biz award?
Yes, but I haven't' always been successful. I've waitlisted successfully a couple of times also.

Is this just the way UA doles out saver awards?
Yes.
Old Aug 16, 2019, 10:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
I do think it's kind of silly that they don't use MSC to open more IN/I space on domestic connectors, but that's the way it works. Waitlists can be successful sometimes, but they're always a gamble.
Old Aug 16, 2019, 10:08 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
As someone who flies a lot of J and F saver awards, I concur with jsloan. Theoretically, waitlisting can be an effective strategy, but in practice, I've had mixed results. The biggest problem for me was that I never seemed to get added to the UG waitlist as a UA CC holder for CPU (years ago, it worked fine for me) which was one of the reasons that I recently cancelled all of my UA cards, even though I am on pace for 200K miles of UA flying this year. I now put all of my air travel on my CSR.
Old Aug 16, 2019, 10:09 am

Programs: UA Lifetime Plat; 2 MM; Amex Rewards; Hyatt Plat; Marriott Plat.
I agree with the previous comments-I always seem to get put into coach on the domestic legs and waitlisted for F. More often than not, the F space does not clear. I have had some success at check in where sympathetic gate agents moved me up on the upgrade list. It is a crapshoot.
Old Aug 16, 2019, 10:12 am

Programs: UA MM/1P, EK Au, QR, TK, Marriott Life Ti, Hilton Dia, IC Dia, Hyatt Glob, Accor Pt, Shangri-La
I have noticed this continuously over the past few months. I suspect that UA is low-balling customers, figuring that they will still book the award (at J prices of course) if the long-haul segment is in J and the domestic segment(s) are in Y. They may be correct in their assessment (as your willingness to book indicates). In many cases, though, the domestic segments I have found are trans-con or nearly so, so it's not trivial. Really chintzy in my opinion, and I assume it's intentional.
iskingolf likes this.
Old Aug 16, 2019, 10:24 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by mecabq
I have noticed this continuously over the past few months. I suspect that UA is low-balling customers, figuring that they will still book the award (at J prices of course) if the long-haul segment is in J and the domestic segment(s) are in Y. They may be correct in their assessment (as your willingness to book indicates). In many cases, though, the domestic segments I have found are trans-con or nearly so, so it's not trivial. Really chintzy in my opinion, and I assume it's intentional.
Even though you have noticed this recently, UA has been doing it for many years now. It is one of the most frustrating things about their award policies.
coolbeans202 likes this.
Old Aug 16, 2019, 11:24 am

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
I am one of those folks that do not care about the domestic leg as long as the TATL/TPAC is Polaris, but that is because I am flying domestic for less than an hour or so: SAN-LAX or SAN-SFO. However, if the domestic leg were a longer leg to say SAN-IAH I would start getting annoyed.

When the award travel have been for others then I do call and ask about the domestic leg to ensure the person is on the waitlist.

However, in fairness it does tell me at time of booking it is a mixed reservation but I thought this meant I paid less in miles although not sure how the new dynamic pricing is going to impact that if at all.
Old Aug 16, 2019, 11:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
It is indeed a silly policy, UA is particularly stingy on domestic F space, with the assumption they can sucker people into paying ToD to upgrade.
Old Aug 16, 2019, 11:44 am

Programs: Once a somebody now a nobody
I think UA is the stingiest of the big three for domestic F saver awards..at least outside of 7 days. I'm based in ORD and can't tell you the last time I saw a saver F award for a domestic segment available. Of course I find UA miles to be the easiest to use to get Int'l awards, both UA and on Star partners. Each program has it's pros/cons and unfortunately saver F domestically is not a strength of mileage plus.
Old Aug 16, 2019, 11:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
However, in fairness it does tell me at time of booking it is a mixed reservation but I thought this meant I paid less in miles
It doesn't.

Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
although not sure how the new dynamic pricing is going to impact that if at all.
Any change from dynamic pricing will be for the worse.
Old Aug 16, 2019, 11:49 am

Programs: UA MM/1P, EK Au, QR, TK, Marriott Life Ti, Hilton Dia, IC Dia, Hyatt Glob, Accor Pt, Shangri-La
Originally Posted by jsloan
Any change from dynamic pricing will be for the worse.
Agree that dynamic pricing is a disaster for customers, but, I suppose, an international award with the domestic segment in Y should cost less than the same itinerary with the domestic segment in F?
Old Aug 16, 2019, 11:54 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold
Originally Posted by chicago747
I think UA is the stingiest of the big three for domestic F saver awards..at least outside of 7 days. I'm based in ORD and can't tell you the last time I saw a saver F award for a domestic segment available. Of course I find UA miles to be the easiest to use to get Int'l awards, both UA and on Star partners. Each program has it's pros/cons and unfortunately saver F domestically is not a strength of mileage plus.
I was having this same issue with AA awards. Could never get domestic F to go with a Award long haul. This was one of the reasons I used up all Aadvantage miles, stopped getting their credit card, and am allied solely with UA and MP for my award bookings. I have multiple Chase credit cards to accumulate the points, closed out all Citi card accounts over a year ago.

I will ask to be waitlisted for F on the 4 awards I have ticketed and hope by some miracle one or all clear. I have no status with UA so unlikely I would be upgraded. Do I call for the waitlist or is this something I can do online myself?
Old Aug 16, 2019, 11:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Agree that dynamic pricing is a disaster for customers, but, I suppose, an international award with the domestic segment in Y should cost less than the same itinerary with the domestic segment in F?
That's not really how it works.

There are two realistic possibilities:
  • No change from the current policy, meaning that the fare (in miles) will be the same whether the domestic leg is in economy or in first, and you will be allowed to waitlist for first because you've already paid for it
  • The ability to book mixed classes will be removed, except where the domestic flight is a one-cabin aircraft (and maybe if the domestic flight is full in F). You'll be given the choice of an economy fare or a business class fare.
I understand why you would think you'd get a discount, but that's not the way airfare works. (Paid tickets don't really work that way either).

Do I call for the waitlist or is this something I can do online myself?
You'll need to call. Just say "I have business class awards and I would like to be waitlisted for first class on the domestic legs." Don't use the word "upgrade," and if the agent starts talking about more miles or seems confused, thank them politely and HUCA.

With no status, I'd check the weather and try to avoid calling if there are storms in a hub somewhere.
btonkid12345 likes this.
Old Aug 16, 2019, 12:13 pm

Programs: Once a somebody now a nobody
I was having this same issue with AA awards. Could never get domestic F to go with a Award long haul.
I think AA is the easiest to find saver F awards domestically of the big three...especially with an Expertflyer subscription. I'm sure certain airports are easier than others, but I've blown north of 400k Avios over the last decade out of ORD strictly on domestic AA awards. YMMV

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.