Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Enrolled Friend (Non-rev) standby for the Front Cabin While Holding Paid Y Ticket

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA Enrolled Friend (Non-rev) standby for the Front Cabin While Holding Paid Y Ticket

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9, 2019, 6:08 am
Original Poster

Programs: United
Red face UA Enrolled Friend (Non-rev) standby for the Front Cabin While Holding Paid Y Ticket

Hi all - My father is a retired UAL employee and now that I'm one of his Enrolled Friends. He's not sure what the policy is on my situation, so asking here.

I have standby reservation from Barcelona to Boston with a connecting flight in New Jersey coming up. My standby tickets are for Polaris Business/First Class, respectively.

Because it is urgent I make it back to the states that day, I'm actually considering purchasing an economy ticket for JUST the first leg of my journey (Barcelona to NJ). I still plan to fly standby for the second leg of my journey (NJ to BOS).

I hope to purchase an economy ticket for assurance I'll get on the flight, but still want to be eligible for upgrade via the standby list. Is this possible? I'd like to try out the new Dreamliner's Polaris Business, and will really kick myself the day of if there's open seats that I'm no longer eligible for since I purchased a ticket (not an inexpensive ticket, mind you..).

I'm wondering will buying a ticket a) cancel or partially cancel my current standby reservation? b) remove me from the standby list so I won't be eligible for an upgrade? c) effect my luggage at all (scared it will be just left in NJ)?

TLDR: Want to purchase an economy ticket for one leg of my standby journey but worried it will screw up my reservation; end my chances of getting upgraded or effect my luggage.

Last edited by J.Edward; Aug 9, 2019 at 6:17 am Reason: Update title
Old Aug 9, 2019, 6:21 am

Location: Clinging to the edifices of a decadent past from the biggest city in America nobody really cares about.
Programs: (ಠ_ಠ)
Hello krohearn and welcome to FT!

I have have no idea what the non-rev rules are but have been told there are somethings frowned upon by UA and non-rev listing.

Since this is mainly a customer facing discussion board the advice we can offer maybe limited and my suggestion is you reach out directly to UA for clarification.

Safe travels.
Old Aug 9, 2019, 6:38 am

Programs: United 1K, Hyatt Discoverist
That is definitely not allowed and a great way to lose your NRSA benefits. You need to do one or the other.
Old Aug 9, 2019, 6:48 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Your father, although retired, needs to consult the program rules which are available to him. Unlikely this is permissible, but he is the person who can answer your question.
nancypants and fezzington like this.
Old Aug 9, 2019, 7:06 am

Programs: UA 1K
You may want to consult the UA Passline as they can give you a quicker answer than the entire NRSA rule book might. I'll DM you the phone number.
Old Aug 9, 2019, 7:09 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Mariott Gold
While your father says hes not sure about the policy, it is my understanding that there is a employee travel porthole (even for retirees). Many of your answers should be found there.

On the surface, your situation sounds like a no-no. Although having a revenue ticket on a separate airline would solve your problem.

Generally, its has been mentioned here over and over, and on many other aviation forums:

You mention you MUST be back on a specific day: if that is the case, you absolutely should NOT fly non-revenue. Active employees have mentioned inability to fly non rev and your priority (IIRC) is placed far below them. There is even a note on the AFA website about how to appropriately treat coworkers when having to use the jumpseat for non revenue travel (side note: you would not be able to use this method) because its been happening so frequently.

As we all know, passenger volumes have been at record levels and non-revenue travel in a passenger seat has been difficult, at best. For those of us who commute, we value the benefit when a jumpseat is available and recognize it becomes very cramped and crowded in the galleys. As Flight Attendants, we all understand the challenges working crew members face in setting up for services and moving carts when there are extra crew members in the galley. As a CJA, we all work to find the best way to be “out of the way” when these challenges are present and to share the work space of flying partners who are working the flight.
Its my understanding that flying non revenue requires total flexibility, you dont have that for this specific trip. Remember, something may show wide open for 6 months, and then all of a sudden there is a strike on a totally separate airline that served BCN and every UA flight gets filled up in minutes. You would get booted for a revenue passenger and have absolutely no recourse, but to buy a last minute revenue ticket.
FlytheTail and nancypants like this.
Old Aug 9, 2019, 8:23 am

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
Originally Posted by krohearn
Because it is urgent I make it back to the states that day, I'm actually considering purchasing an economy ticket for JUST the first leg of my journey (Barcelona to NJ). I still plan to fly standby for the second leg of my journey (NJ to BOS).
That is not allowed.

You may not standby on any flights on the same day between cities for which you have, or had, a revenue ticket reservation. You can have a revenue ticket BCN-EWR then non-rev EWR-BOS.

Your father can find the pass travel rules on the travel section of the Flying Together website.
Old Aug 9, 2019, 8:31 am
Moderator, Amtrak & Spirit Airlines

Programs: AC 50K, AS MVP, AA Plat Pro, DL Plat, UA Silver, IHG Spire, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Yeah, this a total no go under the NRSA rules. You either take chance and pass ride or fly as a paid customer.
nancypants likes this.
Old Aug 9, 2019, 8:37 am

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
The family and friends that I have that work or retired from UA don't fly non rev ever if something is time sensitive. They still fly UA of course, but they purchase a ticket.
Old Aug 9, 2019, 8:52 am

Programs: UA GS (1MM), DL Gold, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Avis CC
Very big no-no. Once you have a confirmed ticket for a city pair, you cannot non-rev the same city pair (even if you later cancel your confirmed ticket). If you buy the U20 discount fare, you are still eligible for GPUs or mileage upgrades under the same conditions as regular revenue fares. You can combine the paid transatlantic flight with a non-rev segment on wards, but if I were you, I'd look at the U20 employee fares straight through to BOS as it's likely not that much more (and likely cheaper) than the BCN-EWR oneway. As I said, once you've ticketed that, you cannot standby between BCN and EWR/BOS. As a nonrev, you will not be getting front cabin on a domestic flight anyway.

PM me if you have any more questions.
Old Aug 9, 2019, 8:58 am

Programs: UA Platinum, AA Platinum Pro, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by LarryJ
That is not allowed.

You may not standby on any flights on the same day between cities for which you have, or had, a revenue ticket reservation. You can have a revenue ticket BCN-EWR then non-rev EWR-BOS.

Your father can find the pass travel rules on the travel section of the Flying Together website.
It never ceases to amaze me when I see threads like this. I realize that the general public is clueless when it comes to NRSA travel, but for the employee (or in this case former employee) to put someone on their benefits and not even give any guidance to their pass riders, in such that they have to come here and ask the question, always irks me. This isn't meant to call out the OP, but how many times have we heard news stories about "travelers claim racial discrimination because agent asks them to change their clothes to sit in F" or "paid for ticket, airline wouldn't get us on a flight for 3 days"......only to find out that they were non-revs who clearly didn't get any guidance from their sponser.
nancypants and FlyingNone like this.
Old Aug 9, 2019, 9:06 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Mariott Gold
Originally Posted by qukslvr619
It never ceases to amaze me when I see threads like this. I realize that the general public is clueless when it comes to NRSA travel, but for the employee (or in this case former employee) to put someone on their benefits and not even give any guidance to their pass riders, in such that they have to come here and ask the question, always irks me. This isn't meant to call out the OP, but how many times have we heard news stories about "travelers claim racial discrimination because agent asks them to change their clothes to sit in F" or "paid for ticket, airline wouldn't get us on a flight for 3 days"......only to find out that they were non-revs who clearly didn't get any guidance from their sponser.
Or worse yet, get the sponsor fired (or benefits suspended), the AA one was my favorite: Buddy pass pax gone wild on AA (July 2018)
Old Aug 9, 2019, 9:13 am

Programs: DL DM
You are NOT allowed to stand by for any routing for which you had a same-day confirmed reservation.

As an enrolled friend, you should be able to purchase confirmed with a discount (ID20)
Old Aug 9, 2019, 10:39 am

Programs: 1K 2MM
In addition to the good advice above (T&C when you log into erespass... specifically state: Holding either a confirmed reservation or a positive-space booking takes a revenue seat out of inventory that could otherwise have been sold. Pass riders may not hold a confirmed reservation and a positive-space or space-available booking over the same routing for the same trip.), these one way international trips can be an excellent way to use miles, if you have access to them. For example, BCN > BOS over the next week has many options for 30K (economy) or 60K (business).
Old Aug 9, 2019, 10:58 am

I can tell you with certainty that this is NOT allowed and will result in the suspension of travel benefits your father. Do not attempt.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.