Wiki Posts
Search

United is the worst UA4156

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6, 2019, 12:50 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP. Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by DebbieDoozer

Chicago Business reposted on JD Power survey dated May 29, 2019
JD Power Survey. So its opinion, not based on facts. Gotcha.
comfortablynumb, mr8 and TXJeepGuy like this.
Old Aug 6, 2019, 1:00 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Mariott Gold

So you chose to book a flight on JD powers worst rated airline?
mr8 likes this.
Old Aug 6, 2019, 1:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
...I travel frequently and have never before had back-to-back issues like this with another airline...
Yes, this would have never happened to you (or anyone else) on another airline

The logic is "1) It only happened to me on United, so it must happen to everyone on United and 2) it never happened to me on other airlines, so it never happens to anyone on other airlines"?

If weather is reason for delay, why are you looking for compensation, based on your extensive flying experience?
Old Aug 6, 2019, 1:08 pm

Originally Posted by jhayes_1780
So you chose to book a flight on JD powers worst rated airline?
To be fair, OP explicitly said they wish they'd done their research before booking.
ajGoes likes this.
Old Aug 6, 2019, 1:17 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Mariott Gold
Originally Posted by threeoh
To be fair, OP explicitly said they wish they'd done their research before booking.
It was a JD power joke, not an OP joke.

FWIW, as mentioned above.... JD Power is a essentially opinion (a very subjective one). And they make you pay for using that opinion. If you ever actually look at their survey results... they are troubling to start with.
Old Aug 6, 2019, 1:18 pm
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Originally Posted by MBS MillionMiler
Indeed, welcome to FlyerTalk. We hope you stick around and can learn and educate as many of us have over the 20+ years this site has been in existence.

Venting about delays does feel good--a lot of us have done it here at one point or another. But you'll find similar posts on the Delta, American, Southwest, Frontier and even Singapore and Emirates pages. And probably more than average on the China carriers' pages.

United, like all other airlines, doesn't like to delay fights. Delayed flights cost them tons of money. There's always an underlying reason, and even if it's weather or maintenance--it always comes down to safety. Sometimes it's United's (or American's or Delta's) fault, sometimes it things like weather, even when it makes no sense.

Sympathy might be hard to come by here, as rare is a mega frequent flyer who hasn't spent an entire day in an airport just to be told the last flight of the day back home is canceled. It once took me 3 days to fly from Las Vegas to my home in Michigan. Another time it took me about the same amount of time just to catch a flight to China. The positive one was when snow system after snow system was pounding O'Hare and my family got an extra 2 days on Maui, waiting for a plane to show up to take us home. --Sometimes those delays work in your favor, but we all know most of the time they don't.

The LAST time (10 years ago), I bought a ticket on Southwest to fly from Vegas to Phoenix. They canceled the flight, the last one of the day. I saw that there was space on a (at the time) US Airways flight...Southwest wouldn't put me on it, as United would do, since Southwest isn't an IATA carrier and they don't sign you over to other carriers. I had to buy a walk-up ticket at my own expense.
Well, technically, the status of Southwest as an IATA carrier was not the reason, but it was because it has no interline agreements with any other airlines to push their ticket over to another carrier. Similarly, while JetBlue is a member of the IATA, it has no interline agreements with any US carriers, so if you had a delay or cancellation, it cannot push their ticket to UA/AA/DL either.
Old Aug 6, 2019, 1:23 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat

JD Power Airline Customer Satisfaction Study 2019
Just to be clear, it was the lowest among the 5 major North American airlines (in JD Powers' definition - AA, AC, AS, DL & UA) and the most improved over the previous year. Additionally, there were others included in the overall survey that were lower, Spirit, Frontier, ....
Still not a great situation for UA but it will take years to dig out the hole UA created a few years back.

The recent FAA BTS on-time reports for UA have been much improved but again people have long memories of past issues

I think today most would rate AA and AC below UA based on recent experiences. DL and AS will still lead the pack.
B6 (Jet Blue) and WN (Southwest) are still rated high but are falling (especially if your metric is on-time performance).

************************************************** ****************************************8

Look's like the OP's inbound from CLE has arrived at 3:02PM ET

OP's flight pushed from the gate at 3:59PM ET (additional delays due to ATC for departure approval)

Now in flight, arrival in CLE 5:17PM (5 hours 15 minutes late)

Arrived at the CLE gate at 5:28PM (5 hours 26 minutes late)
narvik and ajGoes like this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Aug 6, 2019 at 4:34 pm Reason: arrived
Old Aug 6, 2019, 2:28 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Still not a great situation for UA but it will take years to dig out the hole UA created a few years back.
Especially since they've started digging again with the latest (ongoing) cost-cutting rampage.
higher_flyer and Artpen100 like this.
Old Aug 6, 2019, 4:15 pm
mr8

Programs: UA1K | *A Gold
United Express operated by Mesa is a joke. ...
I think most people on here can agree to that.

oh like the made up awards they give to Chevy?
Old Aug 6, 2019, 4:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jsloan
And now we have the crux of the issue. The plane has been running behind all day, due originally to a crew issue -- possibly caused by delays last night, but we won't be able to tell that because we can't track crews like we can track planes.
Indeed. Another “possibility” is a late-night bender at a local watering hole.
higher_flyer and nomad420 like this.
Old Aug 6, 2019, 4:37 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by COSPILOT
I suggest OP starts flying Frontier or Spirit. UA isn't perfect, but they certainly aren't the worst.
My vote is for Allegiant, it has flights out of CLE as well. After a few trips with them I was ALMOST excited to be back on a UA flight.
trooper likes this.
Old Aug 6, 2019, 4:56 pm

Programs: Lifetime UA GS 22 million,AA 1m ,Hilton Li fetime diamond,marriott lifetime platinum hyatt diamond
I have flown on United over 10,000 times and yes it is much less of a problem when you fly out of hubs e.g. Newark and Chicago. However, I have had dozens if not hundreds of delays ,interruptions and cancellations, mostly delays. It comes with traveling. Busses, trains, cars, etc. It happens. Part of going from point A to Z. I’m sorry things didn’t go as planned, but many times they don’t. Try to find pleasure in chatting up the people who share the same misfortune and chalk it up to the things that happen in life. As said before, United wants that plane to be on time more than you do!!! Also, weather delays is NOT United’s fault! Should we all ask God for a refund on that one? Lol! Please take a deep breath. Most of us are very blessed in life....for many reasons. Let’s focus on REAL problems.
risenmyth likes this.
Old Aug 6, 2019, 5:47 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, UA Premier Platinum
Anyone that thinks United Airlines is the worst has not flown American Airlines for the past 3 months. I'm an American Exec. Plat and it has been horrible. I just moved to United and I see a significant different. There are so many delays and cancellations with the Mechanics and Management fighting at American. If some of you remember Jeff Smisek at United, I think his evil twink brother is now running American. I never thought I would ever say that about American, but I can tell you from my own personal experience. Been much happier since I moved to United. Only been flying for about a month, but it's been great compared to American

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.