Wiki Posts
Search

UA 787 air fresheners????

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4, 2019, 12:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United 1k, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Ambassador and LT-Gold
UA 787 air fresheners????

Ok, call me a little silly - but on a recent UA 787 (IAD-DIA) flight the in flight air fresheners - similar to some of the Polaris (I think scents) smelled of 'grapefruits' or similar?

Is this something available as a candle or room freshener?
...soaps/lotion?
Old Aug 4, 2019, 1:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There's a scent stick in the soap dispensers. It's not particular to the 787 though. It's kind of a citrus smell to my nose, anyway.
Old Aug 4, 2019, 1:30 pm

I like the scent stick. very good
Old Aug 4, 2019, 6:03 pm
Original Poster

there are "soaps" and oil fresheners on their Shop site:

https://unitedshop.summitmg.com/unit...&dept_id=10000

but are these the same?
Old Aug 4, 2019, 6:29 pm

Programs: UA lifetime gold; Hilton Gold; Marriott/SPG Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
In the old days (1970's) when I was a kid I remember the flight attendant spraying the cabin with "something to kill the bugs"
It always smelled like a mild pesticide and who knows what terrible effects it had on us.
I assume this smell is different.
Old Aug 4, 2019, 6:46 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Formerly Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by mfirst
Ok, call me a little silly - but on a recent UA 787 (IAD-DIA) flight the in flight air fresheners - similar to some of the Polaris (I think scents) smelled of 'grapefruits' or similar?

Is this something available as a candle or room freshener?
...soaps/lotion?
I know exactly what you mean, it smells like grapefruit to me too and I always thought it was kinda pleasant as well.
Old Aug 4, 2019, 7:09 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Sometimes, they hang packets of coffee out to "freshen" the air in the lavs. Or perhaps it's to aerate the coffee before brewing?
Old Aug 4, 2019, 7:57 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by transportprof
Sometimes, they hang packets of coffee out to "freshen" the air in the lavs. Or perhaps it's to aerate the coffee before brewing?
Wasn't that in the days of FreshPoo?
Drunkmuppet likes this.
Old Aug 4, 2019, 7:59 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Perhaps that's how that late and unlamented coffee obtained its distinctive flavor?
MysteryTour likes this.
Old Aug 4, 2019, 9:26 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
I saw this in the past week (but it has been a while since the previous sighting).

Perhaps that's how that late and unlamented coffee obtained its distinctive flavor?
I think you can safely assume the deodorizing bags were not used for consumption.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Aug 4, 2019 at 9:28 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Aug 4, 2019, 11:34 pm

Programs: UA1k 3MM, AA Plt, peasant on everybody else, elite something or other at a bunch of hotels.
I'm not a coffee drinker, but if this is true, now I'm really not a coffee drinker!

Actually, I have seen this recently (forget where and who), but I think they really are there as a deodorizer, not to air out the coffee before brewing.

Or so I hope.
Old Aug 5, 2019, 1:55 pm

Programs: Northwest, United
Originally Posted by keisari
In the old days (1970's) when I was a kid I remember the flight attendant spraying the cabin with "something to kill the bugs"
Not just in the old days. The sprayed insecticide is still done routinely today. It's a government requirement in some destinations - usually tropical ones.
Old Aug 5, 2019, 2:40 pm

Programs: 1MM, UA 1k
Originally Posted by 1kBill
I'm not a coffee drinker, but if this is true, now I'm really not a coffee drinker!

Actually, I have seen this recently (forget where and who), but I think they really are there as a deodorizer, not to air out the coffee before brewing.

Or so I hope.
LH. I’ve seen multiple flights where the flight crew will brew multiple pots to “feeshen” the lavs...
Old Aug 5, 2019, 7:13 pm

I thought it was packets of tea? At least that was the case on SFO-PVG. I also noticed the scent sticks with the soap. The soap bottle is open with a vent to let the odor circulate into the lavatory.
Old Aug 18, 2019, 9:29 am
Original Poster

ok, slightly foolishly, I purchases the Polaris-branded air fresher that UA sells on their website - but this is not the same as the "grapefruit" stuff they use on their planes

any other thoughts or ideas?

I know this sounds crazy.....but we are all a little nuts sometimes

-m

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.