Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Best First Class experience from mainland to Hawaii

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best First Class experience from mainland to Hawaii

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30, 2019, 3:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Cledaybuck
Fly in economy to the west coast in the afternoon/evening and then in economy the next day to the islands. You will get a real nights sleep in a real bed which is far better than any airline seat and save $$$ to boot.
But there's no decent airport hotel at HNL and the trek to the city is annoying.
Old Jul 30, 2019, 4:20 pm

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC
I would fly to EWR or IAD the day before, stay at the airport Marriott (They both have one on the airport property) Fly out early the next morning and arrive in HNL at 3pmish This give plenty of time to xfer to another island or get to your hotel in Waikiki.

IAD was flying the 767 which is a much better airplane than the 772HD thing. EWR was also flying 767, but may be upguaged for the summer - I really don't know.
Old Jul 30, 2019, 4:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
But there's no decent airport hotel at HNL and the trek to the city is annoying.
I think the poster is saying to stay in SEA/SFO/LAX overnight then fly the next morning to the islands. I would try to maximize my time in Hawaii and therefore from MEM I’d take the ORD flight if I really needed to fly United.

In reality, if I’m paying for F then UA is my last choice of the big 3 + HA as they have the worst lie flat offering.
moondog likes this.
Old Jul 30, 2019, 4:33 pm

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG/Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
No, the west coast, not HNL. LAX, SFO, SAN, etc.
Old Jul 30, 2019, 4:34 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Hipplewm
Fly out early the next morning and arrive in HNL at 3pmish This give plenty of time to xfer to another island or get to your hotel in Waikiki.
Monday - Friday (especially Friday) that is about the worst time to arrive in HNL if staying in Waikiki. You will start your vacation in a frustratingly long commute in bumper to bumper traffic.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jul 30, 2019, 4:51 pm

Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
Monday - Friday (especially Friday) that is about the worst time to arrive in HNL if staying in Waikiki. You will start your vacation in a frustratingly long commute in bumper to bumper traffic.
I lived on Oahu for 6 years, visit often now. It isn't that bad. You are starting a Hawaiian vacation. That said arriving at 3pm was ideal to "Push Thru" and stay up until 9pm or so then go to sleep and wake up on HST and no jet lag.
Old Jul 30, 2019, 6:15 pm

Programs: UA, AS
Originally Posted by arjaok
I think the best flight in the US to Hawaii is the Hawaiian A330 redeye from Vegas to HNL. Lie flat seats for a ~5.5 hour night flight? Yes please.
I take it you have not flown them? I tried a Hawaiian A330 with lie-flats. Worst lie-flat ever. Very uncomfortable for sleeping. I would rather have a comfortable recliner.
Old Jul 30, 2019, 7:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by Hipplewm
EWR was also flying 767, but may be upguaged for the summer - I really don't know.
77G are all on non-ER birds and cannot fly EWR-HNL with pax - biggest it goes is 764.
Old Jul 30, 2019, 7:51 pm

Originally Posted by findark
77G are all on non-ER birds and cannot fly EWR-HNL with pax - biggest it goes is 764.
One one hand - that is sad......
On the other - That is awesome 764 is a sweet ride
Old Jul 30, 2019, 8:39 pm

Programs: UA Gold
I have never been on a flight with more crying infants then HNL-IAD, so have your fingers crossed on that front.
Old Jul 30, 2019, 8:44 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by FTstudent
I have never been on a flight with more crying infants then HNL-IAD, so have your fingers crossed on that front.
That is pretty true on any flight to HNL or MCO.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jul 30, 2019, 10:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by travelinmanS

I think the poster is saying to stay in SEA/SFO/LAX overnight then fly the next morning to the islands. I would try to maximize my time in Hawaii and therefore from MEM I’d take the ORD flight if I really needed to fly United.

In reality, if I’m paying for F then UA is my last choice of the big 3 + HA as they have the worst lie flat offering.
Correct, I misread.

Originally Posted by Cledaybuck

No, the west coast, not HNL. LAX, SFO, SAN, etc.
Oh, really? Thanks. ^
Old Jul 30, 2019, 11:50 pm
Original Poster

HNL

I would be flying into and out of HNL.
I might visit another island or two for one of my weeks, but I'll be staying on O`ahu most of the trip.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jul 31, 2019, 12:26 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
This is why I prefer flying direct to LIH or OGG.
Old Jul 31, 2019, 9:24 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott
Originally Posted by thill
Lie-flats. So, the best lie-flats and routing.

I'll be coming from MEM this time, but plan to connect to the best lie-flat option wherever that might be. IAH and ORD seem to be good possibilities. I've also seen routings that use 2 777s with lie-flats; any particular advantage to breaking up the flight on the west coast (SFO or LAX).

If the price were right and the FC experience recommended by the experts here, I wouldn't be opposed to connecting at EWR.
Originally Posted by thill
I would be flying into and out of HNL.
I might visit another island or two for one of my weeks, but I'll be staying on O`ahu most of the trip.
Honestly, United isn't your best option for lie flat seat to HNL. I'd look at AA via DFW or DL via ATL. Both AA and DL fly 1-2-1 config on their longest Hawaii routes, which are superior to anything UA flies to Hawaii.

But if you absolutely need to fly United, connecting in EWR would give the best lie flat option (2-1-2 config). Both ORD and IAH have the 2-4-2 config to HNL, but IAH is more likely to be on time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.