Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Travel Waiver: Chicago Thunderstorms (July 18, 2019 - July 19, 2019)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18, 2019, 2:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K

Airports:
  • Chicago-O'Hare, IL (ORD)​
Rebook by July 20, 2019. Original ticket must have been purchased by: July 17, 2019

Waiver (normal folks): https://www.united.com/CMS/en-US/travel/news/Pages/travelnotices.aspx#ExceptionPolicies

Waiver Parameter Code (not yet posted): 1+

David

Old Jul 18, 2019, 2:55 pm

Do you know when this was issued today? No one at ORD knows about the waiver. What a mess
Old Jul 18, 2019, 3:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ADeutsch
Do you know when this was issued today? No one at ORD knows about the waiver. What a mess
This is posted to United's website. I suspect it was posted some time in the past two hours - I had checked earlier this morning and nothing was there but already ORD was showing a delay of 3+ hours.

David
Old Jul 18, 2019, 3:29 pm

Programs: United Gold, Hilton Silver, Hertz President's Circle
I tried calling and asking for a change to connect via DEN rather than ORD. The flight shows available on-line, but the CSR told me it was sold out. So I asked if the waiver would be in effect if I made the change on-line. He said yes, but when I tried online, it asked for a lot of money, including a change fee. Grr....
Old Jul 18, 2019, 3:30 pm

Programs: AA, Hyatt
ORD is beyond a mess. I’m waiting to try and got out to COS. Plane is coming from MCI and pulled away from the gate 2 hours ago.

FAA shows ground stoppage until 5:00 PM “United Request”. Not even sure what that means.
Old Jul 18, 2019, 4:42 pm

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
Originally Posted by jtm1631
FAA shows ground stoppage until 5:00 PM “United Request”. Not even sure what that means.
Both UAL and AAL had company stops in place because both airlines have run out of gate space. Some flights have parked at the de-ice pad and unloaded via stairs and bussed to the terminal. Those stops were lifted sometime after 5:00pm CDT.

The forecasts this morning did not predict the large storms that rolled through after lunchtime.
Old Jul 18, 2019, 5:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LarryJ
Both UAL and AAL had company stops in place because both airlines have run out of gate space. Some flights have parked at the de-ice pad and unloaded via stairs and bussed to the terminal. Those stops were lifted sometime after 5:00pm CDT.

The forecasts this morning did not predict the large storms that rolled through after lunchtime.
Understand - but that doesn't preclude UAL from having folks watching for incoming inclement weather as well as watch over FAA ATC's shoulder.

The first hint from FAA was in their OP plan posted at 8:59 AM UTC/3:59 AM Central that after 11:00 AM UTC/5:00 AM Central ORD GROUND STOP POSSIBLE - and then proceeded to post first a Ground Delay at 09:56 AM UTC/5:56 AM Central that, at that time, was effective through 11:59 PM UTC/8:59 Central and then post a Ground Stop at 11:53 AM UTC/7:53 AM Central. And things continued to go south for both ORD and MDW.

My point is, UA Operations and the UA team needs to be more on top of things. I knew something wasn't going to be too great today (07/18/19) when, before 0700 Pacific/0900 Central, ORD was already showing delays over 3 hours. It still took even more hours before UA finally posted the waiver.

David

p.s. and, for what it's worth, AA has not posted a travel alert.

Last edited by DELee; Jul 18, 2019 at 5:09 pm
Old Jul 18, 2019, 5:41 pm

Originally Posted by DELee
The first hint from FAA was in their OP plan posted at 8:59 AM UTC/3:59 AM Central that after 11:00 AM UTC/5:00 AM Central ORD GROUND STOP POSSIBLE -
Is this FAA OP plan publicly available?
Old Jul 18, 2019, 7:22 pm

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
Originally Posted by shdflyer
Is this FAA OP plan publicly available?
https://www.fly.faa.gov/ois/
Old Jul 19, 2019, 11:44 am

There is app for that:

look in play store under national airspace sys
Old Jul 19, 2019, 12:02 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
My EWR-DEN flight just got cancelled (was flying to RAP). Going to try my luck doing LGA-ORD-RAP instead...hope the weather holds up in O’Hare...
Old Jul 19, 2019, 12:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
My EWR-DEN flight just got cancelled (was flying to RAP). Going to try my luck doing LGA-ORD-RAP instead...hope the weather holds up in O’Hare...
No storms probably. Enjoy the jetbridge sauna.
Old Jul 19, 2019, 1:18 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by fumje
At least on that flight the passengers will not have to wait for the green tagged luggage..............
Old Jul 19, 2019, 1:30 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Originally Posted by fumje
Thankfully I have no bags to gate-check
Old Jul 19, 2019, 1:50 pm

Here is the problem. Why arent waivers being issued days before this junk happens. Had family spend 9 hours at ORD.

TIP Call UA reservations and force the airline to oversell and confirm on a flight. Have to go via a supervisor but because of a mess airline zeros out available seats. Best bet is to look at the seat map and if something is available and not claim force the airline to book and confirm passenger on flight. The airline (UA) did this on every flight yesterday. But again operations should have issue waivers earlier.

Neither airline posted a waiver/ Its bad when someone travels on UA or AA weekly and this happens too often. I mean nothing ran for hours, which destroyed the airline. The day where all CEOs are at the WH with Trump and this happens. Waiver wasnt established until the afternoon when it should have happened at midnight on July 18. Internal people within the airline (UA or AA) had to know about this the day before. Its highway robbery that UA or AA can get away with this and still have poor front line customer service at ORD. My family waited 1 hour in line at a UA club and the agent offered them nothing to fly for three days. Somehow I got through to UA and spoke with a supervisor before something was done.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jul 19, 2019 at 5:17 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.