FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   Preference b/w UA, AC, or OZ business class? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1978352-preference-b-w-ua-ac-oz-business-class.html)

steveschow Jul 16, 2019 11:43 am

Preference b/w UA, AC, or OZ business class?

Planning a paid business class ticket from DEN->ICN and looking to maximize both quality of hard/soft product and mileage earning.

UA itinerary goes SFO->ICN, 5,658 miles, on a 2-2-2 787-9 configuration (not Polaris)
OZ itinerary goes LAX->ICN, 5,978 miles, on a 1-2-1 A380 configuration
AC itinerary goes YVR->ICN, 5,093 miles, on a 1-2-1 787-9 configuration

The Air Canada flight is not a codeshare so I can't get a '016' ticket. I'm United Platinum. It seems like my PQM/PQS earning would be the same on all airlines but I need help with 3 things:

1) Best in-flight product? I'm leaning towards Air Canada.
2) Do I earn $0 PQD if I fly on OZ or AC? I could use the ~$4,000 towards 1K status...
3) Since I'm Platinum I earn 9x per dollar miles so roughly 36,000. On AC and OZ it seems like I earn based on mileage, so 10-12,000 one way (depending on YVR or LAX departure). Do I get any bonus on top of that being a Platinum? Do I get a fare class bonus for buying paid business class fare? (Probably United P or Z?)

Thanks for any help. Relatively new to international / business class travel so appreciate any input.

WineCountryUA Jul 16, 2019 1:19 pm

Welcome to FT!, steveschow

Originally Posted by steveschow (Post 31309992)
2) Do I earn $0 PQD if I fly on OZ or AC? I could use the ~$4,000 towards 1K status... ...

only if on 016 UA ticket stock

3) Since I'm Platinum I earn 9x per dollar miles so roughly 36,000. On AC and OZ it seems like I earn based on mileage, so 10-12,000 one way (depending on YVR or LAX departure). ...

for OZ or AC, the PQD approach will only be used on 016 UA ticket stock. It will be miles * PQM bonus if not o 016 UA ticket stock

Do I get any bonus on top of that being a Platinum? Do I get a fare class bonus for buying paid business class fare? (Probably United P or Z?) ...

If on UA ticket stock, the status bonus is built into the PQD multiple
If not on UA ticket stock, AC has an RDM premier multipler.

The PQM fare bonus varies by the airline (regardless of ticket stock) and there are no PQM multipliers based on status

UA earning tables
AC earning tables (if not 016 UA ticket stock)
OZ earning tables (if not 016 UA ticket stock)

steveschow Jul 16, 2019 1:32 pm

Thanks for all of that - 6 Google searches later and I think I pieced it all together but you explained better than the company's own websites :)

Anyone else have opinions on in-flight product? If I get a middle aisle seat in the 2-2-2 Dreamliner is it really that bad compared to a 1-2-1 seat? I probably won't even sleep on the way there and will only want to sleep on the way back.

jmcintosh Jul 16, 2019 2:24 pm

I have flown each of these on this route. I’m partial to AC’s new 787 product slightly over OZ - hard product is a bit better for me while the soft product is super hot/cold on AC and OZ is always attentive but impersonal. I find the OZ prices tend to be higher by YMMV. If you can get the stock to book on the DEN-YVR segment on UA metal via .bomb you will get 016 stock and get your PQDs. Since you have to layover anyway that’s what I would do as I avoid SFO or LAX if and when I can. Just my two cents.

seanp7 Jul 16, 2019 2:28 pm

I just had a wonderful trip on AC EWR-YYZ-MAD, with the latter leg on the 787-9. The YYZ Signature Suite was a highlight and the onboard service and wines well ahead of my recent UA Polaris flights.

That said, if you need the PQD and RDM, and UA is cheaper than all three, I'd likely go UA - even without the Polaris hard product.

cfischer Jul 16, 2019 5:40 pm

You should be able to get DEN-YVR-ICN on 016 ticket stock. Might be difficult, but should be doable. Once you have 1 UA segment (doesn't have to be UA operated) in there with e.g. google flights you should be able to punch-out to United and buy that ticket on 016 ticket stock ... if you need PQDs. Otherwise, AC earns 275% of the distance flown ... not bad.

PsiFighter37 Jul 16, 2019 6:15 pm

I haven't flown OZ, but based on what I have read of it and my experiences of actually flying the other 2, I would go with AC. Only downside is that AC does not have Wi-Fi installed across their widebody fleet yet, so if that is important, I would stick with UA.

mduell Jul 16, 2019 6:31 pm

You can't really optimize for 3 things. I'd fly OZ for the products, and sort out how to get reasonable miles/PQD out of it.

Repooc17 Jul 16, 2019 7:07 pm

Originally Posted by cfischer (Post 31311196)
You should be able to get DEN-YVR-ICN on 016 ticket stock.

UA and AC do not code share on TPAC flights; only TATL. Maybe a TA can put it on a 016 ticket.

OP, if you need PQD, then stay with UA. While you may not experience Polaris hard product, you would get to enjoy the PL at SFO, which is worth the admission. Other than 2-2-2 configuration, UA's 789 as a hard product is a good experience throughout

If you need the best experience, both hard and soft product, then go with AC.

cfischer Jul 16, 2019 7:54 pm

Originally Posted by Repooc17 (Post 31311439)
UA and AC do not code share on TPAC flights; only TATL. Maybe a TA can put it on a 016 ticket.

OP, if you need PQD, then stay with UA. While you may not experience Polaris hard product, you would get to enjoy the PL at SFO, which is worth the admission. Other than 2-2-2 configuration, UA's 789 as a hard product is a good experience throughout

If you need the best experience, both hard and soft product, then go with AC.

that's why I said ... 1 UA-coded segment (e.g. DEN-YVR) should do. You don't need the TPAC to be on UA code/metal to get a 016 ticket. Getting that to price correctly will be another issue.

a bit crazy routing, but I didn't have much time to loo for other options ...

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...4abefdc93e.png
https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...2eaaddcd51.png

Kacee Jul 16, 2019 8:00 pm

I think AC is probably the best overall product here, but I am averse to YVR transit. If you book UA, leave plenty of time to connect SFO on the outbound.

Originally Posted by Repooc17 (Post 31311439)

OP, if you need PQD, then stay with UA.

Codeshare is not a requirement for ticketing on UA stock. You don't necessarily even need a UA flight on the itinerary.

dvs7310 Jul 17, 2019 3:00 am

Originally Posted by Kacee (Post 31311588)
I think AC is probably the best overall product here, but I am averse to YVR transit. If you book UA, leave plenty of time to connect SFO on the outbound.

Codeshare is not a requirement for ticketing on UA stock. You don't necessarily even need a UA flight on the itinerary.

Why averse to YVR transit? I've done it both as int-int and int(usa)-domestic and found it to be a very easy airport for either. I'd much rather Asia-YVR-USA than Asia-USA directly (assuming you require a connection either way), the US immigration and customs pre-clearance in YVR is a lot simpler than clearing at several of UA hubs stateside.

findark Jul 17, 2019 7:23 am

Originally Posted by dvs7310 (Post 31312333)
the US immigration and customs pre-clearance in YVR is a lot simpler than clearing at several of UA hubs stateside.

I disagree.. you have to clear transfer security with no Pre and run at the speed of Canadian border controls.

Kacee Jul 17, 2019 7:45 am

Originally Posted by dvs7310 (Post 31312333)
US immigration and customs pre-clearance in YVR is a lot simpler than clearing at several of UA hubs stateside.

No way. At a US port of entry, with GE and Pre I'm through much, much quicker and with much less hassle.

Without dragging this thread OT, like many others, I've also had bad experiences (more than one) with Canada immigration at YVR.

CIT85 Jul 17, 2019 9:07 am

As UA Plat, I would expect you would want to stay with UA for the PQM and PQD towards status and higher RDM, perhaps work towards 1K.