FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

July 1983 Royal Pacific Service 747

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16, 2019, 1:06 am
Original Poster

July 1983 Royal Pacific Service 747

Found this wonderful material referring to this UAL branded Royal Pacific Service:

Old Jul 16, 2019, 1:44 am

Wow, so many decades before they finally got rid of 4 across F and 8 across J.
Old Jul 16, 2019, 3:33 am

Programs: CX Gold
Thanks for sharing! One naive question: how did they separate the smoking and non-smoking sections of the aircraft? Wouldn't the smoke fill the entire aircraft anyways?
Old Jul 16, 2019, 4:06 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: IHG Spire, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Titanium, Mileage Plus Gold
Originally Posted by lixiaojuventus
Thanks for sharing! One naive question: how did they separate the smoking and non-smoking sections of the aircraft? Wouldn't the smoke fill the entire aircraft anyways?
They didn't. It was always a joy sitting a row or two ahead of the smoking section in the official Non Smoking rows. The smoke never got the message. It was even a bigger joy if the only seats left were in the smoking section.
Old Jul 16, 2019, 5:24 am

Programs: DL-Plat
July 1983 — 2 years before UA bought PA’s Pacific network. I’d forgotten that United already had a couple of Pacific routes before the Pan Am deal.
Old Jul 16, 2019, 5:38 am

Originally Posted by seat38a
They didn't. It was always a joy sitting a row or two ahead of the smoking section in the official Non Smoking rows. The smoke never got the message. It was even a bigger joy if the only seats left were in the smoking section.
yes it was akin to having a peeing section in a pool
Old Jul 16, 2019, 6:24 am

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by seat38a
Yes, usually the passengers who smoked on planes were the chain smokers.......Being stuck near them for 10 hours was awful. The smoking ban became effective later for international flights than for domestic flights.
ajGoes likes this.
Old Jul 16, 2019, 7:12 am
Used to be MBS PremExec

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Marriott Titanium w/Lifetime Plat, Hilton LIfetime ♢, National Exec, Amex Plat
I too have this exact same pamphlet buried somewhere, along with several other seat map pamphlets that UA used to publish, and old timetables. I need to dig that stuff up again!

As for smoking, it was ubiquitous back then. And while a plane was a bit different, one couldn't escape 2nd hand smoke on a plane or otherwise--offices, parks, even hospitals...It was like the line in The Blues Brothers, "How often does the train go by?"..."So often you won't even notice".
Miggles, uanj, NoLaGent and 3 others like this.

Last edited by MBS MillionMiler; Jul 16, 2019 at 11:47 am
Old Jul 16, 2019, 7:20 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by MBS MillionMiler
I too have this exact same pamphlet buried somewhere, along with several other seat map pamphlets that UA used to publish, and old timetables. I need to dig that stuff up again!

As for smoking, it was ubiquitous back then. And while a plane was a bit different, one couldn't escape 2nd hand smoke on a plane or otherwise--offices, it was like the line in The Blues Brothers, "How often does the train go by?"..."So often you won't even notice".
I noticed it. And hated it. To this day, I won’t rent a hotel room if a smoker once occupied it.
PACLipper, Xyzzy, kale73 and 1 others like this.
Old Jul 16, 2019, 7:26 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Mariott Gold
I have one of the royal pacific service amenity kits somewhere, as well as a royal pacific service deck of cards.
Old Jul 16, 2019, 7:29 am

Programs: CX Gold
Originally Posted by joaozinho

yes it was akin to having a peeing section in a pool
Yes, this is my guess! The non-smoking section is in name only (Of-course, it is still miles better than directly sitting inside a smoking section.) Too bad!
ajGoes likes this.
Old Jul 16, 2019, 7:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Here are a few photos from my archives:

Old Jul 16, 2019, 7:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Ah, that set back from when the 747s were only 2-4-3 in Y
AirlineLoop likes this.
Old Jul 16, 2019, 7:52 am

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Yes, this is my guess! The non-smoking section is in name only (Of-course, it is still miles better than directly sitting inside a smoking section.) Too bad!
It's good to be young and never have experienced that! I started flying in 1982 just when I finished college and my wife started flying in 1960 as a toddler so we both had too many of those flights. In Economy you had more chances to be in a row far away from the smokers. In international Business Class in the 90's, my wife was sometimes in planes were there were three rows for non smokers and two rows for smokers.
lixiaojuventus and ajGoes like this.
Old Jul 16, 2019, 7:53 am

Programs: All of them, UA-Plat, 1MM*G
As noted earlier, there was no physical barrier. Your only defense was airflow, which was generally front to back. I recall that once when I was seated in the last row of nonsmoking, I pointed all of the overhead air vents as far backwards as I could and opened them up wide to prevent the smoke from wafting forward. A lady in the row behind me requested that I close the vents because they were making her feel cold. My response was something on the order of if she and the other people in her row would stop smoking, I would consider it. I can't remember what the resolution was, but I think it was for them to continue smoking (it's an addiction) and for me to leave the vents open.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.