Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Flight Cancelled, Changing Destination from Domestic to International

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Flight Cancelled, Changing Destination from Domestic to International

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8, 2019, 4:13 pm

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by RooseveltL
The app is very liberal with nearby airports during irrop. Once you get the red ! - it allows you to rebook typically within 250 miles whether same day or future days if seat are available.
UA Reservations had told me that once expected delay is >2 hours any airport within 300 miles of the original is fair game; obviously preferably online (e.g. UA/UA express operated) but not required as long as UA has an interline agreement. Of course the app never offers offline options.

E.g. earlier this year ORD-CLE UA (Club) was offering TOL on AA, PIT on UA/AA, DTW on DL, and I want to say a Canadian port snuck in there as well (YYZ?)... But in the end based on weather and timing I just picked up a one-way rental.

To the OPs question as long as you can legally enter the country I don't think it matters to UA where you're going once the invol tag gets applied. Pretty sure one of the times I was near the southern border they offered an airport in Mexico ... If it weren't for the logistics of getting from there to where I needed to be it would have been an appealing option (schedule, etc.) too.

​​​​​​
RooseveltL likes this.
Old Jul 9, 2019, 5:24 am

Programs: 1K - UAL, Platinum DL, Marriott, Hilton, SPG
lincolnjkc - This makes absolute sense as because I frequently fly out of delay prone EWR - UAL will remain my preferred carrier not due to the delays but flexibility, and schedule options during such events.
Old Jul 9, 2019, 7:49 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Not sure what the big deal is. UA policy is to rebook within 300 miles in IRROPS and BTV-YUL is just over 100 miles. The entirely separate question is whether you will be permitted to board and that is a matter of proper documents, e.g. passport for US nationals.

Before you ask for rebooking, do take a look at the cost of your ticket and of a new YUL ticket. If the latter is significantly cheaper, buy a new ticket and take a refund on the BTV ticket.
Old Jul 9, 2019, 3:45 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott LT Au, Hilton C, IHG PtA
Originally Posted by s0ssos
There's paperwork required to enter Canada?
For non USA folks Canada has Electronic Travel Authorization scheme, cost me CAD7 in 2016, valid for 5 years or earlier expiry of passport...
Old Nov 20, 2019, 7:14 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Andrew Kolodgie
I fly fairly regularly from IAD -> BTV on United. Unfortunately, United's reliability has decreased on this route. If the IAD-> BTV domestic flight gets cancelled am I able to reroute on the IAD->YUL international flight. They are fairly close (2 hours apart). I would be carrying a passport, no checked baggage, and UA silver.

Thanks!
If it ever comes up for anyone this inevitably did happen to me and there was no issue.
jsloan and ajGoes like this.
Old Nov 21, 2019, 4:25 am

Programs: UA Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Platinum
My husband and I were in a similar situation just a weeks ago, when BUF-IAD was cancelled due to weather, and we were rebooked out of YYZ. I was on a revenue ticket and did not have to pay additional Canadian taxes, but he was on an award ticket and was charged the additional Canadian taxes. The 1K line was very helpful in getting all this sorted out.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.