FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   UM Placed on incorrect flight at EWR (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1976449-um-placed-incorrect-flight-ewr.html)

RockinRon Jul 2, 2019 5:02 am

UM Placed on incorrect flight at EWR

As the title says, United Unaccompanied Minor was placed on the wrong flight and it wasn't noticed by the airline (Eurowings) until the plane left the gate and was taxiing. I've not sent any of my kids as a UM but surprised me that the mother's communication plan to United was via Twitter. Maybe that was one of many ways she was trying to contact them. I sort of guessed there would be some dedicated phone number for UMs but honestly have never looked into it.

https://simpleflying.com/united-unac...minor-mistake/

dinoscool3 Jul 2, 2019 5:21 am

Wouldn’t SK handle their own UM service? Why was UA involved at all, seeing as UA doesn’t allow connection flights that can’t be it.

Repooc17 Jul 2, 2019 6:14 am

If the boy was supposed to be on SK904, operated by SAS from Terminal B at EWR, not sure why United was involved here? The article provides little facts to piece the story together. Maybe the boy was on a United flight arrival into Terminal A or C, and connecting to the SAS flight from Terminal B? Eurowings (for LH?) also flies out of Terminal B, where UA has no presence other than arrivals.

pseudoswede Jul 2, 2019 6:30 am

Another article I read was that the actual itinerary was RDU-EWR-ARN. My guess is that it's equally SK's fault and UA's fault for this. The articles don't state that the teen had special needs, but shouldn't you be able to figure out, at 14, that (Dusseldorf != Stockholm) prior to boarding?

StuckinITH Jul 2, 2019 6:45 am

Originally Posted by pseudoswede (Post 31261256)
The articles don't state that the teen had special needs, but shouldn't you be able to figure out, at 14, that (Dusseldorf != Stockholm) prior to boarding?

I don't know. Maybe a US kid would not know the difference.......It's not like World geography is a big thing in this country. I once met a 19 years old University student who wanted to become a reporter who thought that Egypt was in the South of South America.

And how did the kid board that flight? Was the kid just following a family with many kids?

drewguy Jul 2, 2019 7:22 am

Another article I read was that the actual itinerary was RDU-EWR-ARN. My guess is that it's equally SK's fault and UA's fault for this. The articles don't state that the teen had special needs, but shouldn't you be able to figure out, at 14, that (Dusseldorf != Stockholm) prior to boarding?

What's odd is that he figured it out after boarding, at least according to the story he alerted FAs he was on the wrong flight.

Seems like another "I got on the wrong plane" types of stories, with the UM twist. How did the gate agents allow him on the flight, and did his assigned seat on the SAS flight just happen to be empty on the Eurowings flight? One would thing, especially with heavy Europe loads over the summer, you'd have a seat squabble before pulling back from the gate.

trm2 Jul 2, 2019 7:28 am

The parents probably purchased two tickets - RDU - EWR on UA and then EWR - ARN on SK. They then purchased the UM service for RDU - EWR incorrectly thinking it applied for the whole trip.

mduell Jul 2, 2019 7:41 am

There's something funny going on here, because UA doesn't do connections for 14 y/o UMs at all, much less interline.

Our unaccompanied minor service is for children who are 5-14 years old and traveling without a parent, legal guardian or someone who is at least 18 years old. These young travelers also need to follow certain requirements for their safety:
- Unaccompanied minors can only travel on nonstop United or United Express® flights. They can’t use our unaccompanied minor service on codeshare flights and other flights operated by our partner airlines.
- United does not offer unaccompanied minor service connecting to or from other airlines' flights.

The article says "so booked United Airlines’ unaccompanied minor service at New York’s Newark Airport" which doesn't make any sense since the flight departing EWR was not on UA. Are the parents and "journalists" just massively confused about SAS UM service?

Beltway2A Jul 2, 2019 7:43 am

Originally Posted by trm2 (Post 31261418)
The parents probably purchased two tickets - RDU - EWR on UA and then EWR - ARN on SK. They then purchased the UM service for RDU - EWR incorrectly thinking it applied for the whole trip.

Or, you know, not:

The problem here is that their policy required unaccompanied minor status for the boy but the parents had purchased a connecting ticket. Brenda Berg tells me, “We booked through SAS Air and kids his age fly without assistance. We were surprised when we showed up at RDU that United required us to purchase the UM assistance. Our son would have easily made the transfer on his own but he trusted them and went where they told him to go.” She explains “someone from United said ‘we made an exception for you.'”
Source: https://viewfromthewing.boardingarea...wrong-country/

nightkhan Jul 2, 2019 7:57 am

Originally Posted by drewguy (Post 31261401)
What's odd is that he figured it out after boarding, at least according to the story he alerted FAs he was on the wrong flight.

Seems like another "I got on the wrong plane" types of stories, with the UM twist. How did the gate agents allow him on the flight, and did his assigned seat on the SAS flight just happen to be empty on the Eurowings flight? One would thing, especially with heavy Europe loads over the summer, you'd have a seat squabble before pulling back from the gate.

Originally Posted by StuckinITH (Post 31261301)
I don't know. Maybe a US kid would not know the difference.......It's not like World geography is a big thing in this country. I once met a 19 years old University student who wanted to become a reporter who thought that Egypt was in the South of South America.

And how did the kid board that flight? Was the kid just following a family with many kids?

Originally Posted by mduell (Post 31261477)
There's something funny going on here, because UA doesn't do connections for 14 y/o UMs at all, much less interline.

Our unaccompanied minor service is for children who are 5-14 years old and traveling without a parent, legal guardian or someone who is at least 18 years old. These young travelers also need to follow certain requirements for their safety:
- Unaccompanied minors can only travel on nonstop United or United Express® flights. They can’t use our unaccompanied minor service on codeshare flights and other flights operated by our partner airlines.
- United does not offer unaccompanied minor service connecting to or from other airlines' flights.

The article says "so booked United Airlines’ unaccompanied minor service at New York’s Newark Airport" which doesn't make any sense since the flight departing EWR was not on UA. Are the parents and "journalists" just massively confused about SAS UM service?

https://www.usatoday.com/story/trave...ht/1616641001/

This article and another one I read explains that United made them purchase a UM service at check-in even though it was on a codeshare. They the agent messed up and didn't check the flight details properly due to some prior gate change, etc and rushed him onto the wrong flight. It was the kid who noticed the incorrect flight details once he was put on board.

enviroian Jul 2, 2019 8:27 am

The boy must have (inadvertently) sneaked on. Wouldn't the bar code reader beeped or not sound at all when (and if) it was scanned?

venomtrilogy Jul 2, 2019 9:00 am

Originally Posted by enviroian (Post 31261567)
The boy must have (inadvertently) sneaked on. Wouldn't the bar code reader beeped or not sound at all when (and if) it was scanned?

It should have beeped. But sometimes GAs give people the benefit of the doubt. Last week a man in front of me had a BP beep. The GA almost let him on the flight, thinking that he had simply handed her a BP for one of his other segments that day. Luckily, she quickly corrected that. "Wait, let me see that again..."

nightkhan Jul 2, 2019 9:03 am

The UM agent walked him onto the plane

GUWonder Jul 2, 2019 9:11 am

UA messed up. UA’s contractor at EWR messed up.

SAS saved the day.

viewfromthewing.boardingarea.com has two blog posts about the situation.

There was no sneaking on. The passenger was put on the EWR-DUS flight by UA at EWR and the teenager was instructed by UA to board the wrong plane. It was done in plain sight of UA’s UAM service provider and the gate agents for the EWR-DUS flight with their active assistance despite the teenager wanting to go to Stockholm, not Düsseldorf. The kid eventually made enough of a fuss on the plane during the taxi that the Eurowings pilot decided to return to the gate and offload the passenger so that the kid would not be taken to the wrong destination without legal authority to do so. The kid realized things were off when he heard no Swedish and instead mostly German and English on the plane.

FTLexMUC Jul 2, 2019 9:29 am

Well, accidents happens, the kid figured it out. No harm no foul.

GUWonder Jul 2, 2019 9:37 am

UA’s policy is worse than the UA@RDU agent or even the UA UAM service provider in EWR. If it weren’t for UA’s UAM policy, the teenager would have been better off and made it to Stockholm without this drama, the UA employee at RDU wouldn’t risk being in trouble for being customer-friendly, and this incompetence of UA@EWR wouldn’t have taken place with this teenager.

Originally Posted by mduell (Post 31261836)
Rogue agent in RDU; should have just told the mother no.

The UA agent at RDU is possibly in trouble for doing the customer a favor that goes above and beyond corporate policy, but the real problem is UA’s UAM policy and UA’s UAM’s service at EWR.

A UA agent providing extraordinary service to help a customer shouldn’t be punishable, especially not when charging the regular fee for the service on behalf of UA. The problem is UA’s UAM policy and UA’s choice for lowest-price vendor for UAM service at EWR.

mduell Jul 2, 2019 9:52 am

Originally Posted by GUWonder (Post 31261854)
UA’s policy is worse than the UA@RDU agent or even the UA UAM service provider in EWR. If it weren’t for UA’s UAM policy, the teenager would have been better off and made it to Stockholm without this drama, the UA employee at RDU wouldn’t risk being in trouble for being customer-friendly, and this incompetence of UA@EWR wouldn’t have taken place with this teenager.

The UA agent at RDU is possibly in trouble for doing the customer a favor that goes above and beyond corporate policy, but the real problem is UA’s UAM policy and UA’s UAM’s service at EWR.

A UA agent providing extraordinary service to help a customer shouldn’t be punishable, especially not when charging the regular fee for the service on behalf of UA. The problem is UA’s UAM policy and UA’s choice for lowest-price vendor for UAM service at EWR.

I disagree, when the org (UA) has said these are the limits we've planned for (taking into account all factors - cost, competitive market, safety, PR, process maturity, etc), a random agent shouldn't go "oh this kid will be fine let's violate policy today because mom couldn't be bothered to read the readily available information."

Imstevek Jul 2, 2019 9:53 am

there's a lot more to this story than is being told here. I've tried to get my kids on UM flights with a domestic connection and was told no, a thousand times, no. Plus, this kid is supposedly smart enough to not need UM, but manages to get on the wrong plane, with the wrong airline, and doesn't realize until he's been seated? Lastly, the TweetMom (and sister[!?!] knows for certain his boarding pass was never scanned, and he received a duplicate? Huh?

GUWonder Jul 2, 2019 10:14 am

Originally Posted by Imstevek (Post 31261923)
there's a lot more to this story than is being told here.

All that is needed to know what went on is already out here.

UA@RDU agent provided extra-policy customer-friendly service for the UAM fee, and then UA’s low-cost provider of UAM service at EWR messed up things (by directing the teenager at EWR to board the wrong plane) due to UA@EWR UAM service provider not being detail-oriented enough to direct the passenger to the correct flight.

The EWR-DUS gate agent messed up too by allowing someone to board the EWR-DUS plane without the passenger’s proper boarding pass (info) for the flight being loaded and filed.

The teenager is the one who helped saved himself from being sent to Germany. And it was SAS@EWR that made things right for him. I am sure he almost certainly would have done better on his usual summer trip to his grandparents if UA policy wasn’t to collect UAM fees for 14 year olds with parental authorization to travel alone. Traveling by air alone as a 14 year old is safer and easier for some kids than taking the local subway and trains domestically.

mduell Jul 2, 2019 10:18 am

Originally Posted by GUWonder (Post 31262031)
due to UA@EWR UAM service provider not being detail-oriented enough to direct the passenger to the correct flight.

Something they were not expected to do; delivering inbound pax to random foreign airlines in another terminal is completely out of scope. They should only be delivering from the UA inbound flight to the person waiting for the kid landside.

GUWonder Jul 2, 2019 10:32 am

Originally Posted by mduell (Post 31262047)
Something they were not expected to do; delivering inbound pax to random foreign airlines in another terminal is completely out of scope. They should only be delivering from the UA inbound flight to the person waiting for the kid landside.

If UA didn’t have a backward and ridiculously restrictive UAM policy and have it so as to rely upon the lowest cost vendor for UAM service, this 14-year old would have almost certainly done just fine and his family would have saved itself the $150 (?) fee.

And in the era of smartphones, of readily available internet and of audio and video connectivity on the go in the hands of most traveling teenagers, the UAM policy needs a fix more than UA@RDU agent.

OUTraveling Jul 2, 2019 10:44 am

I think we have a photo of the incident. As of right now, I am calling it a Home Alone 2 type mishap.

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...44ef779b97.jpg

MSPeconomist Jul 2, 2019 10:52 am

Originally Posted by OUTraveling (Post 31262166)
I think we have a photo of the incident. As of right now, I am calling it a Home Alone 2 type mishap.

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...44ef779b97.jpg

That kid looks younger than 14.

Billiken Jul 2, 2019 11:05 am

Wonder if they can claim EU 261 compensation?

UA press release claims the UM fee has been refunded.

villox Jul 2, 2019 11:27 am

So...question. How is the kid going to get home? United doesn't offer the service connecting FROM another airline's flight either. I guess given the media scrutiny they'll find a way, but.

Two people were really at fault here: The mother for not understanding that it impossible to fly a child to an international destination via a connection (United or otherwise), and the agent at the origin who didn't simply reject the booking because there was no way to accommodate it. The policy requires a designated person for the child to be handed off to, presumably this was entirely missing since SAS doesn't require it.

What I also don't understand is, how is this not surfaced well before the mother gets to the airport? United has the ages of everybody who flies, so why don't they flag this earlier than check-in?

drewguy Jul 2, 2019 11:40 am

Originally Posted by FTLexMUC (Post 31261830)
Well, accidents happens, the kid figured it out. No harm no foul.

What about all the other pax on the Dusseldorf flight who ended up delayed 1+ hour because of the need to return to the gate? It's like all the pax on the flight where one of two brothers boarded the UA flight LA-Tokyo instead of the ANA flight, leading the plane to turn around after 2+ hours in flight.

Imstevek Jul 2, 2019 11:41 am

Originally Posted by GUWonder (Post 31262031)

All that is needed to know what went on is already out here.

I have no idea how you can make that assertion.

drewguy Jul 2, 2019 11:44 am

Originally Posted by villox (Post 31262338)

What I also don't understand is, how is this not surfaced well before the mother gets to the airport? United has the ages of everybody who flies, so why don't they flag this earlier than check-in?

Possibly mom booked through SAS, with the UA flight added on as part of code share (and SAS didn't prohibit booking based on UA policy). Or mom booked two separate tickets, creating appearance of no connection. FWIW, UAM is optional on SAS for 12-17. https://www.flysas.com/en/fly-with-u...panied-minors/

My guess is that the mom knows her son is more than capable of flying alone, figured UA-SAS was best routing, and found some way to evade the restrictions initially, and then UA decided to "ensure the minor's safe passage" by enforcing its policy.

I don't doubt there are 14 yo. who need UAM treatment. But I'd guess that a much larger number don't need it, and UA's policy ends up with bad outcomes like this one.

Pingtung Jul 2, 2019 11:47 am

SAS policy (https://www.flysas.com/en/fly-with-u...panied-minors/) only requires UM for children under 12, and will actually let 5+ year olds fly without the service if they are traveling with someone over the age of 16 unlike UA which requires 18+. Many airlines are similar to the SAS requirements which make sense to me. UA is simply following an american mentality of CYA that these restrictions have been tightened in the past 10 or so years. UA also charges twice the amount so they definitely don't see this as a courtesy service.

mduell Jul 2, 2019 11:55 am

SAS policy is completely irrelevant when the mother chose to book a UA flight.

UA knows they can't deliver on a more complicated UM situation, they wrote their policy to reflect what they think they can do. The agent in RDU took it upon themselves to put an out-of-policy obligation on the EWR staff; it's fine if the RDU agent wants to go above and beyond themselves, but they shouldn't be putting obligations on other stations to deliver something out of scope.

GUWonder Jul 2, 2019 11:55 am

Originally Posted by Imstevek (Post 31262382)
I have no idea how you can make that assertion.

Research and read enough, experience enough, and understand well enough how processes and people work and don’t, and it’s easy enough to get beyond assertions and realize what did and didn’t happen and know where the gaps may be and where they may not be.

Originally Posted by mduell (Post 31262430)
SAS policy is completely irrelevant when the mother chose to book a UA flight.

Which just gets back to that this was UA’s mess-up from a policy level to a practical level.

SAS, on the other hand, saved the day.

pseudoswede Jul 2, 2019 11:57 am

Maybe the teen turns 15 during the trip? You are technically supposed to book the child at the age on the return flight. Maybe the mother also booked him as an adult.

ETA: on SAS's website, I just tried booking a single youth ticket (ages 12-25), and it only allows me to book from one of their US gateways, not from places like DEN or RDU.

GUWonder Jul 2, 2019 12:06 pm

Originally Posted by pseudoswede (Post 31262444)
Maybe the teen turns 15 during the trip? You are technically supposed to book the child at the age on the return flight. Maybe the mother also booked him as an adult.

ETA: on SAS's website, I just tried booking a single youth ticket (ages 12-25), and it only allows me to book from one of their US gateways, not from places like DEN or RDU.

The mother seems to have been responsive on Twitter:

https://mobile.twitter.com/BrendaBer...ong-country%2F

SAS website has fewer airports loaded into it than there are cities for which SAS sells tickets.

I just say this because SAS’s website is not the be all on where and how tickets are bought for SAS flights.

Regardless of how booked, the birthdate and sex would have been entered before a ticket could be issued for a flight involving a US airport.

pseudoswede Jul 2, 2019 12:11 pm

Originally Posted by GUWonder (Post 31262484)
I just say this because SAS’s website is not the be all on where and how tickets are bought for SAS flights.

While that is true, most major OTAs I have tried won't allow you to book anyone 15 and under as a single ticket.

davie355 Jul 2, 2019 12:18 pm

Glad the kid arrived safely at the destination, when all is said and done. The airlines involved here should definitely review their UM policies at a high corporate level and make immediate changes.

One thing I want to highlight - the brother's sister commented on the View From The Wing blog,
... My brother is not a very outspoken person ...
If that's true, then he should not be flying solo in the way he did. There are so many things that could go wrong (the thing that did go wrong being one example) that a non-outspoken 14-year-old should not be flying alone on a connecting international itinerary, period. There is no shame in not being outspoken; in many cases it's a virtue, as our society has too many aggressively outspoken people. But I digress.

One could argue the mother was irresponsible putting her son in this situation. Of course nothing here is the mother's fault; I am only speaking of the mother's responsibility. She may be very upset to read these words. However we all have the same goal: we want her kid (and all kids) to be transported safely and correctly. While we wish all airlines were perfectly competent in all services provided (especially those forced on you), the best way to ensure the ultimate goal may be to personally accompany her kid.

GUWonder Jul 2, 2019 12:24 pm

Originally Posted by pseudoswede (Post 31262504)
While that is true, most major OTAs I have tried won't allow you to book anyone 15 and under as a single ticket.

Don’t they still do it over the phone? Cue the jokes about calling up OTAs. ;)

Originally Posted by davie355 (Post 31262529)
Glad the kid arrived safely at the destination, when all is said and done. The airlines involved here should definitely review their UM policies at a high corporate level and make immediate changes.

One thing I want to highlight - the brother's sister commented on the View From The Wing blog,
... My brother is not a very outspoken person ...
If that's true, then he should not be flying solo in the way he did. There are so many things that could go wrong (the thing that did go wrong being one example) that a non-outspoken 14-year-old should not be flying alone on a connecting international itinerary, period. There is no shame in not being outspoken; in many cases it's a virtue, as our society has too many aggressively outspoken people. But I digress.

One could argue the mother was irresponsible putting her son in this situation. Of course nothing here is the mother's fault; I am only speaking of the mother's responsibility. She may be very upset to read these words. However we all have the same goal: we want her kid (and all kids) to be transported safely and correctly. While we wish all airlines were perfectly competent in all services provided (especially those forced on you), the best way to ensure the ultimate goal may be to personally accompany her kid.

He was apparently outspoken enough that the plane went back to the gate and offloaded him.

Most frequent flying Americans would be afraid of becoming outspoken to flight crew members and more or less ask to be returned to the gate for voluntary offloading. And if they did try to get voluntarily returned to the gate for offloading, the reception party members may not be your friendly neighborhood welcoming committee bearing candies and flowers.

trm2 Jul 2, 2019 12:29 pm

Originally Posted by GUWonder (Post 31262441)

Which just gets back to that this was UA’s mess-up from a policy level to a practical level.

SAS, on the other hand, saved the day.

While UA did screw up, SAS is the party that ACTUALLY PUT HIM ON THE WRONG PLANE.

davie355 Jul 2, 2019 12:32 pm

Originally Posted by GUWonder (Post 31262552)
Most frequent flying Americans would be afraid of becoming outspoken to flight crew members and more or less ask to be returned to the gate for voluntary offloading. And if they did try to get voluntarily returned to the gate for offloading, the reception party members may not be your friendly neighborhood welcoming committee bearing candies and flowers.

It depends on the stakes. I imagine most Americans won't ask to return to the gate to pick up shaving cream they left behind in the airport lounge. But to ask to return to the gate because they are on the wrong flight? I'd definitely do that. As for the candles and flowers, the border agent at the incorrect international destination won't bear those either....

GUWonder Jul 2, 2019 12:39 pm

Originally Posted by davie355 (Post 31262590)
It depends on the stakes. I imagine most Americans won't ask to return to the gate to pick up shaving cream they left behind in the airport lounge. But to ask to return to the gate because they are on the wrong flight? I'd definitely do that. As for the candles and flowers, the border agent at the incorrect international destination won't bear those either....

You’re a braver person than most, if after boarding in the US you’re willing to verbally fight back (for any or no reason) against the crew over the plane going from the taxiway to the runway (instead of back to the US departure gate).

samwise6222 Jul 2, 2019 12:40 pm

UA messed up no doubt.

I really don't know why Americans are so up-tight when it comes to UM. I did my first solo international trip when I was 13 and we were always very careful to avoid any of US based airlines.

Many parents in Asia send their 13/14/15 year old kids unaccompanied to the US or Europe all the time.