FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   UM Placed on incorrect flight at EWR (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1976449-um-placed-incorrect-flight-ewr.html)

PTahCha Jul 2, 2019 11:28 pm

Originally Posted by GUWonder (Post 31263894)
The whole journey from RDU was on a SAS ticketed PNR according to the mom.

If UA didn’t force such teenagers to use the UAM service to go from RDU, this incident wouldn’t have happened.

I am curious to know if this has made the news in Sweden yet. It seems to be getting some news attention here in the US, and not necessarily as much as it may yet get here.

Yes, UA’s policy is to hand off only to adults. I’m not sure what UA would do in practice were the age of the receiving custodial parent(s)/guardian(s) to be below 18 years of age.

What happens when the teenager son wander off without UM service, and did not board any European flight? Mom can still tweet, and news happens, and UA would still be (inadvertently) at fault.

What happens when the RDU agent denies boarding for the child? Another tweet happens, and UA is at fault.

This is a no-win situation for UA, especially when it's a ticket not even sold by them.

narvik Jul 2, 2019 11:39 pm

I am curious to know if this has made the news in Sweden yet. It seems to be getting some news attention here in the US, and not necessarily as much as it may yet get here.

It's one thing about reading it here on this forum. But this doesn't really seem "newsworthy" as such.
A complete non-story.

GUWonder Jul 2, 2019 11:57 pm

Originally Posted by narvik (Post 31264255)
It's one thing about reading it here on this forum. But this doesn't really seem "newsworthy" as such.
A complete non-story.

UA can only hope that it’s universally seen the way you see it. But obviously some disagree:

https://www.foxnews.com/travel/unite...cosmic-failure

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.usa...amp/1616641001

https://www.google.com/amp/s/abcnews...%3fid=64093506

https://www.google.com/amp/s/nypost....g-country/amp/

So that’s USA Today, NY Post, Fox and ABC. And that’s not even all of the coverage. Even “Sputnik News” got it. And the UK’s Independent:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ind...766.html%3famp

And the list goes on and on.

Originally Posted by PTahCha (Post 31264223)
What happens when the teenager son wander off without UM service, and did not board any European flight? Mom can still tweet, and news happens, and UA would still be (inadvertently) at fault.

What happens when the RDU agent denies boarding for the child? Another tweet happens, and UA is at fault.

This is a no-win situation for UA, especially when it's a ticket not even sold by them.

Since neither of your two hypothetical scenarios took place, does that necessarily make this a win-win situation for UA? No.

pseudoswede Jul 3, 2019 5:16 am

I'm here now, and I haven't heard much. Then again, I only have access to the regional newspaper, and we haven't had the TV on in the evenings except to watch the World Cup and some PGA Tour golf.

mduell Jul 3, 2019 7:47 am

Originally Posted by GUWonder (Post 31262908)
UA has achieved this exception previously at EWR.

Sure, exceptions can be achieved sometimes, but not reliably. UA explicitly put this exception outside of their policy, and indeed failed to deliver on it here. UA doesn't want to do it, and isn't doing it reliably.

Originally Posted by GUWonder (Post 31263694)
Using litigation as an excuse for UA’s policy would make more sense if the airlines lacked all ability to get a signed waiver to limit liability of sorts.

Unless and until you’ve successfully sued an airline in court in the US and gotten a public court judgment in your favor from doing so, it’s hard to buy the excuse of “oh, if but not for the lawsuits”.

Because defending lawsuits successfully is well known to be low cost, and without other ramifications like both hard and soft costs of public relations? No.

seenitall Jul 3, 2019 8:00 am

GUWonder: Can you tell us what you know (not think, know) about this incident that is not simply from the Mom's tweets and several news stories whose bases also seems to be entirely the Mom's tweets? I'm not trying to be accusatory, but you are repeatedly telling posters that their possible versions of these events are wrong, and I think we would all like to know why you know that they are wrong other than for the fact that they are in conflict with the Mom's tweets. Thanks.

GUWonder Jul 3, 2019 9:07 am

Eurowings has also come out and said it was a person working for UA who had brought Eurowings the 14 year old at EWR for placement on the EWR-DUS flight and handed him over for boarding at the gate.

The information provided above doesn’t just rely upon the mother’s tweets, the father’s comments to the media, the father’s comments on social media, and the sister’s comments on some blog, but those all have largely lined up with what Eurowings and SAS have said and/or have not run in contradiction with what the other involved parties have stated.

PANYNJ officers and DHS employees at EWR got involved in this too in their own way. And SAS saved the day after the mess-ups by UA and by Eurowings.

flyerbjorn Jul 3, 2019 5:13 pm

I thought that a plane could only take off with the right number of passengers. You often see FAs counting passengers before closing the door. Similar to when the ground crew have to recount the bags, when there was one too many, or one too few.

In this case, the Eurowings flight should have ended up with an additional passenger. How should the crew react to that? Verify everyone's boarding passes? Ask everyone if they are on the right flight?

flyerbjorn Jul 3, 2019 5:31 pm

Two additional failures:
1. Why didn't the teenager call his parents? He deplaned the Dusseldorf bound plane at EWR in the late afternoon and had at least 5h. That would have prevented so much of this mess.
2. SAS shouldn't book a 14 year old on a UA codeshare, as it violates UA's UM policy.

On the second point, as a UA FF, I book my (little) kids on their own tickets all the time, or I split their itineraries away from me. That's better for upgrades and points tickets. It's only when you arrive at checkin (like this story) that the UM logic plays out. We once got two free business class upgrades from OZ when the UM logic didn't play out correctly.

GUWonder Jul 3, 2019 5:34 pm

Originally Posted by flyerbjorn (Post 31267040)
I thought that a plane could only take off with the right number of passengers. You often see FAs counting passengers before closing the door. Similar to when the ground crew have to recount the bags, when there was one too many, or one too few.

In this case, the Eurowings flight should have ended up with an additional passenger. How should the crew react to that? Verify everyone's boarding passes? Ask everyone if they are on the right flight?

The passenger counts aren’t always done accurately. I’ve seen situations where the passenger count was done over a dozen times, repeated by other FAs, and yet the count was thought to be off despite ultimately finding out that the passengers seated on board in the plane was actually correct. And if initial count or two seems to meet up with initial crew expectations, the chances drop for another count to verify accuracy and catch an earlier mistake.

Eurowings EWR-DUS gate agent had to page for a missing passenger on EWR-DUS before this UA UAM was handed over to Eurowings Something to factor in with regard to whether or not Eurowings cabin crew made a mistake with the passenger count.

Imstevek Jul 3, 2019 6:32 pm

Originally Posted by GUWonder (Post 31265463)
Eurowings has also come out and said it was a person working for UA who had brought Eurowings the 14 year old at EWR for placement on the EWR-DUS flight and handed him over for boarding at the gate.

The information provided above doesn’t just rely upon the mother’s tweets, the father’s comments to the media, the father’s comments on social media, and the sister’s comments on some blog, but those all have largely lined up with what Eurowings and SAS have said and/or have not run in contradiction with what the other involved parties have stated.

PANYNJ officers and DHS employees at EWR got involved in this too in their own way. And SAS saved the day after the mess-ups by UA and by Eurowings.

That story raises more questions than answers. Most interesting to see SAS will allow booking of any itinerary and not honor other airlines UM policies.

GUWonder Jul 3, 2019 7:59 pm

Originally Posted by Imstevek (Post 31267220)

That story raises more questions than answers. Most interesting to see SAS will allow booking of any itinerary and not honor other airlines UM policies.

That article addresses a lot of questions others still had (and may even still have). But I can’t take a horse to water and make it drink the water if it doesn’t want to drink the water.

SAS doesn’t allow — nor is it allowed — booking any and every itinerary asked for by customers. There are rules about what it can and cannot book.

UA has agreements with SAS to let SAS enter into contracts (with passengers/customers) that include UA flights and to use codeshares for UA operated flights on those contracts. Some of those inter-airline agreements may include allowances to some passengers on UA planes that UA contracts for UA’s own flight may not grant some passengers. Whether or not that kind of stuff has been or is something for United and SAS to address when it comes to UAM policies and practices, I don’t know at this point at least. UA’s current UAM policy is less mature than SAS’s, pun intended.

Codesharing between US and EU+ airlines isn’t allowed without governmental approvals. That may or may not mean something in this regard, but if it meant anything with regard to UAM policies and practices it would surprise me.

PVDtoDEL Jul 3, 2019 10:32 pm

Originally Posted by samwise6222 (Post 31262622)
UA messed up no doubt.

I really don't know why Americans are so up-tight when it comes to UM. I did my first solo international trip when I was 13 and we were always very careful to avoid any of US based airlines.

Many parents in Asia send their 13/14/15 year old kids unaccompanied to the US or Europe all the time.

+1

I used to fly BOS-IXE annually (with a double connection in FRA/ZRH/LHR and BOM/BLR) starting when I was 12. Never used thee UM service, and never had any problems. Just needed to carry some cash, some phone numbers, and some wits and it was never a problem at all, even during IRROPS.

And that was before every 12 year old had a smartphone... In todays day and age, I think it would be even easier for a 12+ year old with some travel experience to get around.

GUWonder Jul 3, 2019 11:14 pm

Originally Posted by PVDtoDEL (Post 31267804)
+1

I used to fly BOS-IXE annually (with a double connection in FRA/ZRH/LHR and BOM/BLR) starting when I was 12. Never used thee UM service, and never had any problems. Just needed to carry some cash, some phone numbers, and some wits and it was never a problem at all, even during IRROPS.

And that was before every 12 year old had a smartphone... In todays day and age, I think it would be even easier for a 12+ year old with some travel experience to get around.

I’m just waiting to see when we get another UA UAM policy than the current UA one.

If only UA’s UAM policy was more akin to SAS’s UAM policy, this incident wouldn’t have taken place and we wouldn’t be having this discussion thread.

docbert Jul 3, 2019 11:45 pm

Originally Posted by GUWonder (Post 31262552)
He was apparently outspoken enough that the plane went back to the gate and offloaded him.

The fines the airline could have been hit with for carrying an undocumented passenger both out of the US and into Germany are significant. Yes, he still had to speak up, but once he did there's absolutely zero chance the plane wasn't going back to the gate.

Originally Posted by GUWonder (Post 31267879)
If only UA’s UAM policy was more akin to SAS’s UAM policy, this incident wouldn’t have taken place and we wouldn’t be having this discussion thread.

If UA had actually followed their own UAM policy then this wouldn't have happened! The passenger wouldn't have been allowed leave the original airport. They tried to be customer-friendly and go outside of the rules, and it ended up hurting them...

Although it's still no excuse, I wonder if there was a gate change between check-in and when they dropped him off. It's very possible the UA agent too him to the gate on his boarding pass - especially given the long layover.