Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Normal to keep 50% of F open at less than T-48?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Normal to keep 50% of F open at less than T-48?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30, 2019, 7:27 am

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Kacee
The practice is to clear down to 2.

But it's increasingly common for UA not to sweep at all until T-24.
I used to see that pattern too. But, on a ORD-DCA flight two weeks ago with 6 First Class seats sold out of 12, I cleared at T-3 hours on a Y fare. Somebody else cleared at the same time. Then 4 passengers were upgraded at the gate.
Old Jun 30, 2019, 11:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: United Premier Platinum
Quick update and data point: I cleared at exactly T-24, and the cabin now has 2 seats remaining.
Old Jul 4, 2019, 12:58 am

Programs: UA 1K, AS MVPG, DL GM, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
One more data point here - 1K flying UA 5590 on 7/6 at 6:25am, no upgrades have cleared yet as of ~54 hours from departure. F shows all 12 seats open - flight looks completely empty - gotta scratch my head on what UA is doing here but not terribly worried for such a short flight.

Old Jul 4, 2019, 3:31 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, mLife Platinum
Based on all this, and my own experiences, I am convinced they have turned off all but the T-24 sweep.
Every upgrade I've had has been manually processed.

There's even 1 person on the waitlist for my flight tomorrow, and it's PZ5 IN5 I4 at T-23.

Something has changed.
Old Jul 4, 2019, 5:25 am

Programs: United Plat 2MM, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by skycrab
I am convinced they have turned off all but the T-24 sweep.
My flight yesterday cleared at T-96. (Actually, T-95:57)
Old Jul 4, 2019, 5:54 am

Originally Posted by Miles Ahead
My flight yesterday cleared at T-96. (Actually, T-95:57)
There goes my theory (mostly).
Was that a CPU or instrument?
Old Jul 4, 2019, 6:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Kacee
The practice is to clear down to 2.

But it's increasingly common for UA not to sweep at all until T-24.
This has exactly been my experience all year. It's always a heart pounding at about 24 hours before when the upgrades finally clear.
Old Jul 4, 2019, 6:09 am

Programs: UA 1K/*G, Avis Pres, Marriott Plat
Based on all this, and my own experiences, I am convinced they have turned off all but the T-24 sweep.
Every upgrade I've had has been manually processed.

There's even 1 person on the waitlist for my flight tomorrow, and it's PZ5 IN5 I4 at T-23.

Something has changed.
it appears, to me, to be route dependent. I and my companion (on my reservation) cleared at T-96 last week EWR-CUN and CUN-EWR.

Yet, I never seem to clear EWR-ATL until day of, even if the cabin has a dozen+ unsold seats.
Old Jul 4, 2019, 6:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It seems much more common, but not a rule, to hold all RJ CPUs until T-24 (or even later!). On mainline flights, the T-96/72/48 sweeps may still run, depending upon loads, forecasting, etc. Then at T-24 they may sweep to J2.

I also have a slight suspicion that they will clear down to J2 if there are still 1K on the list but maybe only to some higher number (J3? J4?) if there are no 1K on the list.
Old Jul 4, 2019, 7:14 am

There are now 5 people on the upgrade list, and the flight is still showing PN5 PZ5 IN5 I4. I'd be thoroughly annoyed if someone swooped in and took a saver award when I could have been upgraded.
(That said, I know to watch and call in at the right time, but still!)
Old Jul 4, 2019, 7:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There are now 5 people on the upgrade list, and the flight is still showing PN5 PZ5 IN5 I4. I'd be thoroughly annoyed if someone swooped in and took a saver award when I could have been upgraded.
(That said, I know to watch and call in at the right time, but still!)
If you mean call for CPU, I don't think they do that for anyone regardless of PZ space.

I'm sure I'd be annoyed too if someone used the IN space while so many were waiting for CPU, although it's possible that could be taken by SDC, which doesn't seem totally unfair.
Old Jul 4, 2019, 7:46 am

This is a TATL flight, so I mean instrument supported upgrade.
People on the waitlist must be using miles or a GPU to sit on a waitlist with open PZ space
Old Jul 4, 2019, 7:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This is a TATL flight, so I mean instrument supported upgrade.
People on the waitlist must be using miles or a GPU to sit on a waitlist with open PZ space
Oh, yes, that is galling then.
Old Jul 4, 2019, 9:10 am

Programs: United Plat 2MM, Hilton Gold
There goes my theory (mostly).
Was that a CPU or instrument?
CPU
Old Jul 4, 2019, 11:59 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by mcrw00
I’m booked in Y on the mid-morning SFO-DTW flight this Monday. F is 20 seats, only 10 of which are booked according to the mobile flight status page.

The cabin was the same at around T-90 when I first checked, so I expected my CPU to clear right at the T-72 window. Not only did it not then, but it still hasn’t, and nobody else has cleared into F either.

Is it normal for UA to hold so many open F seats on a midcon without clearing? Is there any reason why they would do so on this fight in particular, like maybe a possible equipment swap? The flight is currently on a 737-9 with a mostly-full Y cabin. They are selling F upgrades.
You are unlikely to clear - but United will offer you a paid upgrade for $899 while offering the very same upgrade to a non-member Kettle off the street with 2 checked bags for $49 - you get to ride in coach, while UA loses $75++ on the lost revenue from their now free checked bags and the cost of the free alcohol and food they eat on the flight.

Fantastic business model, right?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.