Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Adds Second Daily Nonstop Service between SFO-HKG (back to daily till 28 Mar 2020)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 27, 2019, 12:55 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

UA Adds Second Daily Nonstop Service between SFO-HKG (back to daily till 28 Mar 2020)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27, 2019, 2:49 pm

Programs: SPG, Marriott, UA, AA, CX, SQ
Originally Posted by EWR764
50 Polaris seats, so a loss of 10 on the frequency, but a net gain of 40 over the course of the day, with a new departure time.
loving the new flight .... UA will be flying up to 200 flat beds daily into hkg ... not bad for a rival fortress hub not named London

im curious as to whether Apple has expressed a desire to UA for an earlier arrival time into HKG allowing for ample time to get into Shenzhen or so to visit Foxconn locations, and if they had, how much that played into the launch decision.

the only TPAC route UA is short right now out of SFO is BNE - that’s one of those necessary evils before it becomes LAXHKG-style point of no return
Old Jun 27, 2019, 2:53 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ti/LTP
Originally Posted by 1353513636
I think SFO-HKG is worse now. Because LAX has 4x daily CX, 1x daily AA, and 1x daily HX, whereas SFO has 1x daily HX, 2x daily UA, 1x daily SQ, and 3x daily CX, making 7 flights a day vs 6 from LAX. Although maybe we shouldn't count the SQ flight since it's not really aimed at SFO-HKG traffic.
HX was never daily at SFO. I think only 4x right now and is going down to 3x. But looking at the overall flights doesn't tell the fully story, as SFO is going to have much more connecting traffic on UA than LAX will.
Old Jun 27, 2019, 2:55 pm

Where does it say these will be Polaris equipped 772's? There's still a lot of those to convert.
Old Jun 27, 2019, 3:09 pm

Programs: SPG, Marriott, UA, AA, CX, SQ
Originally Posted by worldtrav
Where does it say these will be Polaris equipped 772's? There's still a lot of those to convert.
technically it doesn’t say, but what’s the chance of the absolute first route systemwide that went 77W to go un-Polarised ? that would be just about the dumbest possible way to kill the golden goose
Old Jun 27, 2019, 5:00 pm

Programs: UA 1K/2MM, HHonors Diamond, IHG Diamond Elite
Originally Posted by worldtrav
I have flights booked for November and March, 2020 and the seat maps have already been changed to the Polaris cabin configuration on the 772.
Kacee likes this.
Old Jun 27, 2019, 5:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If they would time one of the SFO to PVG departures like the second HKG plane, I may switch back to UA for my trips home.
Old Jun 27, 2019, 5:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
As will the Polaris Lounge....
Lounge is relatively deserted after the evening Europe bank departures. 40 additional pax won't make a dent in the empty seats.
ContinentalFan likes this.
Old Jun 27, 2019, 5:38 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium
Although I love this, the International Start Alliance gold lounge (old global first) for those in Economy was already standing room only between 2100-2200 and they were turning people away, this is only going to make matters worse.

They need a much better and bigger star gold lounge in the INTL area in SFO !!
Old Jun 27, 2019, 6:23 pm

Programs: UA GS, DL-Plat, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Somethingist, Marriott Titanium Lifetime
I wonder if positive response to the 10 pm ish departure from SIN to SFO made UA realize there is huge demand for people wanting to return to the US after a full work day in Asia rather than waiting for for a morning flight the following day. I have frequently seen the late flight from SIN priced much higher and being more heavily booked in Business than the morning flight.
Old Jun 27, 2019, 6:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Air Houston
I wonder if positive response to the 10 pm ish departure from SIN to SFO made UA realize there is huge demand for people wanting to return to the US after a full work day in Asia rather than waiting for for a morning flight the following day. I have frequently seen the late flight from SIN priced much higher and being more heavily booked in Business than the morning flight.
It will be interesting to see which of the two HKG flights is more popular. Personally, I like the late night US departure and the morning Asia departure. While the late Asia departure definitely maximizes the departure day, it just kills me on the jet lag.
United747 and Imstevek like this.
Old Jun 27, 2019, 6:59 pm
Marriott 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
Fantastic news. Great to have options on timing. Great to have a large increase in capacity. Hopefully it helps with PZ space but I'm not holding my breath.

Originally Posted by Kacee
It will be interesting to see which of the two HKG flights is more popular. Personally, I like the late night US departure and the morning Asia departure. While the late Asia departure definitely maximizes the departure day, it just kills me on the jet lag.
Idk why people focus on departure time, when the only that matters for jet-lag is arrival time. I would pick the flight that arrives in the evening 100% of the time.

Originally Posted by travelinmanS
If they would time one of the SFO to PVG departures like the second HKG plane, I may switch back to UA for my trips home.
If they would start by flying Polaris to PVG…

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jun 27, 2019 at 7:09 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Jun 27, 2019, 7:17 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium & LTP, Hilton Diamond (Aspire card), Hyatt Globalist, UA Gold (almost free agent)
Originally Posted by Kacee
Exactly 100%. I prefer the late PM or midnight SFO departure due to at least one more vacation day and mid morning SFO arrival to avoid jet lag.
Kacee likes this.
Old Jun 27, 2019, 8:42 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
As will the Polaris Lounge....
Still a fraction of what the lounge is from about 9am-2pm, and even then, it's not bad. Definitely large enough to sustain the current schedule and then some.
Old Jun 27, 2019, 9:00 pm

Programs: United Gold
Probably a function of available slots and/or gates. I'm pretty sure UA would rather have same departure times seven days/week.
a friend who work for HKG airport suggests it is a slot issue. They are apparently near cap on the hour and there’s another service that dovetails the United windows. As expected.
Old Jun 27, 2019, 9:04 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by JimInOhio
Help me out as I must be missing something here. What's the advantage of arriving SFO in the evening and then connecting to a redeye? I guess I could see it if traveling to IAD as there's a widebody from SFO but other than that? Even then, it's still quite a bit further than connecting through ORD or EWR.
I'm not saying it would be an attractive routing - my point was solely that arriving an hour later wouldn't have an adverse effect on scheduling.

That said, I could see some people preferring to leave in the evening and get back to the east coast by early morning, rather than getting back much later that day on the current morning-HKG departures. Perhaps the same people who find it attractive to arrive in HKG at 6am.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.