Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: No longer transfer Chase UR→UA @ 1:1 ratio (or at all)? What to do? What to do?
[NO] UA Card, [NO] Ultimate Rewards Card → [NO CHANGE] I still don't want any UA/UR Chase product
7.94%
[✓] UA Card, [NO] Ultimate Rewards Card → [NO CHANGE] I keep my UA card and [DO NOT] carry UR card.
9.35%
[✓] UA Card, [NO] Ultimate Rewards Card → [I KEEP] my UA card(s) and [ADD] UR Chase card(s).
3.74%
[✓] UA Card, [NO] Ultimate Rewards Card → [I CLOSE] Chase UA card and [DO NOT WANT] a UR Chase card.
1.87%
[NO] UA Card, [✓] Ultimate Rewards Card → [NO CHANGE] I dont carry a UA card and I [KEEP] my UR card
26.17%
[NO] UA Card, [✓] Ultimate Rewards Card → I [ADD] a UA card and I [CLOSE] my UR card.
0%
[NO] UA Card, [✓] Ultimate Rewards Card → I [ADD] a UA card and I [KEEP] my UR card.
0.93%
[✓] UA Card, [✓] Ultimate Rewards Card → [NO CHANGE], I keep [BOTH] my UA and UR Chase cards.
24.77%
[✓] UA Card, [✓] Ultimate Rewards Card → I [KEEP] my UA card(s) and [CLOSE] my UR card(s).
2.34%
[✓] UA Card, [✓] Ultimate Rewards Card → I [CLOSE] my UA card(s) and [KEEP] my UR card(s).
22.90%
Voters: 214. You may not vote on this poll

United pushes JPM on Sapphire Reserve

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27, 2019, 10:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by Kacee
I can't agree with this. AMEX cards (particularly Plat and Hilton Aspire) offer a wide range of extremely lucrative benefits.
It's hard to quantify, but it's been my impression that Amex is much less interested in loss-leading with unprofitable customers than the other major banks. You can definitely get value out of some of their cards, but IMO it takes a higher level of skill to be at the point where you get more in fungible benefits than you pay in (status, upgrades, points redeemed by transfer partners, etc. are a lot harder to value, which is my point). I trivially turn a cash profit on both my Prestige and CSR, but would find that extremely challenging with the Plat. Sure, if you value the benefits and can maximize them, Amex cards are good too, but it is a very different flavor of program.

??? You don't have to fly Y to incur change fees, purchase wifi, or buy award tickets. I get fee waivers from three separate AMEX cards, fly almost exclusively premium cabin, and manage to burn all three waivers on UA every year without playing any games at all (unless you consider purchasing a wifi subscription a "game").
I don't buy wifi or change my tickets, and I assume you mean award fees (if taxes are eligible then I've been misinformed). I similarly fly UA almost exclusively in the premium cabin and would not have touched a charge that would be eligible for the fee waiver in the last two years. YMMV of course, but it's rather aggravating to me the way it's marketed ("such as checked bags and in-flight refreshments") alongside being an allegedly premium card.

My bigger point though is they specifically do not intend it as "get $200 of your airfare" the way Citi/Chase do, but "don't be hassled by these fees ever**" -- they think about benefits differently. Amex signups offers are often once in a lifetime. And so on.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Jun 27, 2019, 10:06 am

Programs: I want to be free! Free!
I am sure this thread will be vibrant but I almost feel like there is nothing to say here but "duh"? Mr. Kirby, play stupid games, win stupid prizes.
GUWonder, Halo117, Kacee and 1 others like this.
Old Jun 27, 2019, 10:08 am

Programs: UA 1 MM, AA, DL
From the article: "JPMorgan, meanwhile, insists the cards aren’t direct competitors and believes the airline should be doing more to earn traveler loyalty..."
Imagine Scott Kirby's reaction to that.
cesco.g, Daze, GUWonder and 7 others like this.
Old Jun 27, 2019, 10:11 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA Plat Pro
I probably am a prime example. I am a lowly silver but am lucky enough to mostly buy first class. When I don't AND I need two bags checked I use my United Presidential Plus. So maybe once or twice a year I end up using my card. I do about 15 - 20 flights a year so the United Club access at a discount is the only reason I keep the card. I am spending about 100K annually and almost exclusively on the CSR.
lexdevil likes this.

Last edited by NDtraveler; Jun 27, 2019 at 12:05 pm
Old Jun 27, 2019, 10:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by zymm
This explains a lot of the questions in the MileagePlus survey I took this morning, there was a lot about which program/status benefits I valued and their interaction with credit card benefits. While it would be nice if they redoubled their efforts to increase the value of their miles and benefits based off my feedback that I've switched to AS as my primary airline and the CSR as my primary card I won't be holding my breath....
Looks like we got the same survey, and my answers were very similar. I hammered them on changed award pricing and availability at every opportunity and told them why most of my travel is now on AS and most of my spend on the CSR.
Old Jun 27, 2019, 10:13 am

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AA EXP, HH Diamond, MR Gold, Avis PC, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by zymm
This explains a lot of the questions in the MileagePlus survey I took this morning, there was a lot about which program/status benefits I valued and their interaction with credit card benefits. While it would be nice if they redoubled their efforts to increase the value of their miles and benefits based off my feedback that I've switched to AS as my primary airline and the CSR as my primary card I won't be holding my breath....
Yeah I took that survey yesterday and it definitely explains some of the questions. I made it quite clear in my responses that their recent devaluations made me much less likely to use the Explorer Card or think fondly of Mileage Plus.
GUWonder, Boraxo and notquiteaff like this.
Old Jun 27, 2019, 10:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by jsloan
Also, most AMEX cards are charge cards, not credit cards. That's not necessarily a bad thing -- credit card interest isn't usually a great deal -- but it's still a separate product.
Ok, but a more or less irrelevant distinction if you pay your cards in full every month. And also not really true as Kacee pointed out. By number Amex has more credit card products than charge card products. But yeah using Amex as your sole card would be next to impossible given acceptance, but I'll be honest, it's not something that impacts me in my day to day life unless I'm travelling in various parts of Europe. But this is FT, who is travelling #onecard anyway?
notquiteaff and Kacee like this.
Old Jun 27, 2019, 10:23 am

Programs: Continental OnePass
I used the United branded CC mostly for the PQD waiver (I have enough PQM for plat, but never PQD). However, I mostly use the travelbank card rather than one that earns me miles.
Old Jun 27, 2019, 10:30 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by QS Dreamer
Today's Wall Street Journal has the article (pay wall - https://www.wsj.com/articles/sapphir...d=hp_lead_pos6 )

TLDR: "United executives have told JPMorgan they believe the Sapphire Reserve card is competing directly with the airline’s cards and siphoning off customer spending, according to people familiar with the matter."
6 more years on the current deal and more than half of the company's cash earnings over the next 5 years will come from the card (why UAL is worried about the attrition).

My take is if they hadn't devalued their own card benefits (boarding, people can buy the same benefits ala carte), United wouldn't have this issue.
I am one of the people who have been siphoned off, and Kirby has no one to blame but himself.
Old Jun 27, 2019, 10:33 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
I can't speak to the United Club card because I don't carry it (I have the legacy-CO Presidential Plus card for other reasons) but I don't see the value proposition of the UC versus CSR.

The United Club just isn't *that* compelling of a lounge product to make up for its lower net earnings rate versus CSR, and lesser utility of United miles versus Ultimate Rewards. The travel perks on United are good, but you're limiting those perks to United which is the smallest domestic footprint of the carriers with big co-brand deals (UA/AA/DL/WN). Those perks are also essentially negated to the extent the cardholders are Premier members, which I would imagine is a proportionally high share. I'm sure United has great hub share for its co-brand portfolio, but it is also the weakest of the major carriers for outstation (non-hub) cardholders because in most places, United's network/schedule/product is generally not as good as DL/AA/WN.

It makes me wonder if at least part of the equation in Delta's decision to add focus cities elsewhere in the continental United States is to drive co-brand share in growing, affluent markets. If United is attributing more than half of its cash earnings to the co-brand product, Delta has to be in the same ballpark (as Delta's deal with AmEx is widely reported to be more lucrative) and consequently, the credit card deal/wallet share should be a factor in major strategic decisions by the entity.

At the end of the day, the core value proposition of the co-brand cards is points earning in the program, which is also negatively impacted by devaluation of MileagePlus as a currency (no matter how well they try to spin it), but everyone is cutting there. The additional core benefit of the UC card is the United Club product, and it's just not as good as the SkyClub product, and in some ways lags the Admirals Club, too.

When so much of the card's value is tied to deliverables by the airline, it is disingenuous to point the finger at the bank for doing a better job with its own product. United's name is all over the card, so if it's falling short, it stands to reason that United's action is a substantial reason why.
Daze, GUWonder, jsloan and 16 others like this.

Last edited by EWR764; Jun 27, 2019 at 10:38 am
Old Jun 27, 2019, 10:40 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Today's Wall Street Journal has the article (pay wall - https://www.wsj.com/articles/sapphir...d=hp_lead_pos6 )

TLDR: "United executives have told JPMorgan they believe the Sapphire Reserve card is competing directly with the airline’s cards and siphoning off customer spending, according to people familiar with the matter."
6 more years on the current deal and more than half of the company's cash earnings over the next 5 years will come from the card (why UAL is worried about the attrition).

My take is if they hadn't devalued their own card benefits (boarding, people can buy the same benefits ala carte), United wouldn't have this issue.
Given UA is further devaluing the miles/mileage program for customers, what does UA expect? You can only beat up the customers so much before the customers hatch and use an escape plan.

It is rather telling that the airlines want less competition from their bank partners and the banking industry as a whole.
cesco.g and Boraxo like this.
Old Jun 27, 2019, 10:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
I wouldn't even think of getting a united CC except for the signon bonus; The sapphire portfolio is much better in general. I'm a lifetime gold so pretty much everything is duplicative.

I just got hit with the annual fee for my (probably 13 year old) United Signature card (the 3x on united purchases), the annual fee used to be worth it for the renewal miles and the 3x, but now I get 3x on the other chase cards. I don't need it so I got rid of it, chase didn't try to save the account. When my club card is up for renewal that's going to get axed too.

And of course, with MP going to massively devalued points, I'd rather have a flexible currency.
GUWonder, Travel22 and AirbusFan2B like this.

Last edited by entropy; Jun 27, 2019 at 10:41 am Reason: add
Old Jun 27, 2019, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
It is not Chase's fault that UA has put MP value on a downward spiral for nearly a decade. What else does United expect? It was United that shifted from a focus on customer lifetime value to a how-much-is-this-customer-worth-today? strategy. To the extent that I gave up the MP Explorer card years ago and MP no longer influences my ticket-buying decisions, at all.

If Chase has a better value prop that inspires more customer faith and is not destabilized by black-box / opaque redemption pricing, more power to them. Take a look in the mirror, Kirby.
Old Jun 27, 2019, 10:50 am

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver

That's no longer true. I have three AMEX credit cards - SPG, DL, Hilton.
And I'm at three AmEx credit cards- Blue (largely sock--drawered but kept because I've had it for 12 years), Everyday and Delta Platinum,

Like a lot of people willing to accept the opportunity cost from not using other cards, I put a good amount of spending through the Delta Platinum in order to hit the thresholds for the MQM bonuses attached to that card to trigger. (You can actually hit Silver Medallion with zero BIS time with the AmEx Delta Reserve card if you're okay with passing up other point & mile earning opportunities)

If United actually wants people to use their cards significantly, some sort of elite-qualifying mile bonus offer for thresholds does seem to work well for the competition.
Old Jun 27, 2019, 11:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ua mm, aa plat, starriott LTPP, ihg plat, hh gold.
another lifetime gold (thanking my former self for my many SIN runs back in the day when 1K upgrades would clear even if you bought cheap tickets) who's moved virtually all spending to my sapphire and amex plat card, and will likely cancel the UA card when the annual fee comes due.

the frequent flier program has changed enough that i'm not actively trying to fly UA anymore, unless they offer the best deal...and as entropy so eloquently stated above, when it comes to points, with devaluations past and present i'd rather have a flexible currency.
BearX220, cesco.g, Boraxo and 1 others like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.