Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Let United help by using our new dedicated security lines (LAS)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Let United help by using our new dedicated security lines (LAS)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22, 2019, 12:32 pm

Programs: BA SIL, WN A, UA SIL, Marriott TIT (LT), Hilton DIA
Originally Posted by MojaveFlyer
Some of us object to the idea that you can buy privilege with money. TSA made air travel worse for all, and then allows the wealthy to avoid the mess. Just part of the ever widening income disparity, IMHO.
if you can afford to fly (even Spirit) then you can surely afford $20/year (or less) for the privilege of joining the wealthy in the Pre-Check line.

I respect your opinion, but this is truly a case of cutting off your nose to spite your face.
Air Houston and seat38a like this.
Old Jun 22, 2019, 12:34 pm

Some of us object to the idea that you can buy privilege with money. TSA made air travel worse for all, and then allows the wealthy to avoid the mess. Just part of the ever widening income disparity, IMHO.
Then you must hate CLEAR more.
But on the point of income disparity, I presume you would never use the first-class line then.
Old Jun 22, 2019, 12:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think you're right that TSA has managed Pre and GE to that end, but on the general point that money can buy privilege, well that seems hopeless to fight.
Air Houston likes this.
Old Jun 22, 2019, 1:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
I thought it would be the fingerprinting that folks objected, not the cost.....
It’s a general question of privacy and constitutionality. I’ll omit further details in an effort to keep this thread out of OMNI territory.
Old Jun 22, 2019, 6:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So paying for a shorter line is bad but having United pay for it for you because you have status is ok? That is what a special premier line is, right?
seat38a likes this.
Old Jun 22, 2019, 8:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SFO_Runner
The gates UA fly out of at LAS are only reachable by that train thingie. If you're not checking bags, it doesn't matter which terminal you enter or exit at as the trains go to/from each terminal.
I fly out of LAS several times a year and I typically use T1 since I rarely check bags, but I park at SSTT and take the bus to the airport rather than pay the parking fees at McCarran. The RTC bus only stops at T1. If it stopped at T3 I’d happily ride it there to check in and clear security but since the McCarran inter-terminal busses are very irregular I choose to (again, with no bags to check) clear security at T1 and ride the train to the D gates from there. But if I were going to park at the airport for a United flight, I’d definitely opt for the T3 parking (even though I’d miss out on the T1 Pre-Check “cattle chute” ).

I was just wondering why OP prefers the T1 parking lot.
Old Jun 23, 2019, 7:45 am

Programs: *wood Marriott P-life, *alliance UA MM, AA MM
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
So paying for a shorter line is bad but having United pay for it for you because you have status is ok? That is what a special premier line is, right?
How do you feel about paying a police shakedown in the cities you visit?

creating a mandatory inefficient process which one can pay money to forego is a summary of Precheck/Clear. If someone is a low threat level, then send them through Precheck.

The fact that United recognizes that fact does border between paid privilege and efficiency. (United element also keeps the thread out of Omni where threads go to die.)
Old Jun 23, 2019, 12:06 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by cyberjet
The fact that United recognizes that fact does border between paid privilege and efficiency. (United element also keeps the thread out of Omni where threads go to die.)
And yes let's stay focused on the UA related issues here and leave the " philosophical, privacy and constitutionality of PreCheck and/or TSA" for Travel Safety/Security and OMNI/PR.

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator
Old Jun 23, 2019, 12:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by jsloan

Some of us choose not to get PreCheck for philosophical reasons. I, for one, would appreciate Premier Access security at LAS. (They already have a dedicated, non-PreCheck F line).
Las Vegas is not a UA hub. It would get pretty messy if all the airlines at LAS decided they want dedicated elite lines for their passengers.

T1 already has a F line next to PreCheck, so I guess this is matching that. All the international flights are out of T3, so there’s s lot of front cabin passengers inelugible for PreCheck..

I’ll be there Tuesday and will probably allow time to take a look.

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Jun 23, 2019 at 1:29 pm
Old Jun 23, 2019, 12:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
Las Vegas is not a UA hub. It would get pretty messy if all the sirloin nes at LAS decided they want dedicated elite lines for their passengers.
Sure, but they could all share a Premier line, which is what happens at most outstations (e.g., AUS).
Old Jun 23, 2019, 12:58 pm

Programs: united
yes, this is a smart play by United.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jun 23, 2019 at 4:03 pm Reason: OT content removed per Moderator note
Old Jun 23, 2019, 1:04 pm

Programs: The Marina. Comic Relief. UA 1K and 1MM. MacBook Pro.
Originally Posted by kale73
I was just wondering why OP prefers the T1 parking lot.
Better bars in T1 on the outbound?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.