FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   United Polaris - New Business Class seats & inflight service {Archive} (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1974311-united-polaris-new-business-class-seats-inflight-service-archive.html)

bocastephen Jun 20, 2017 7:01 am

Originally Posted by bryanwallace (Post 28464077)
thanks all-i should have made clear that planning to use ua systemwide upgrades.

R space might then become your deciding factor vs seats, but depending on your budget, you can use GPUs on ANA from their PY class (E, I believe) and just stick with ANA if you can't find open R seats on the true Polaris seat flights ex-SFO.

Hipplewm Jun 25, 2017 12:31 pm

Polaris Lounge closes at 9pm from the literature...

When is last chance to order food etc? do they cut off at 8:30 or something. I have a flight landing at 6pm, but don't fly out of T5 until after midnight. Will have plenty of time to sit down and have a nice dinner etc, but obviously want to stretch it out as much as possible before schlepping over to T5.

izzik Jul 2, 2017 3:01 pm

Just had my first Polaris experience (NRT-DEN, 787-8).
Food observations:
1. Japanese option was tasty but could have been presented better.
2. Traditional Japanese desserts was a nice touch - I'm glad for anything beyond the ice cream option.
3. Cheese plate was offered in addition to ice cream / dessert cart, but it was kind of gross (why does cheddar continue to show up here?!). Pre-plated, 3 cheese types (cheddar, brie, and a blue) with ONE grape. Looked like something you could get in the lounge.
4. Ice cream was served in a paper cup on a glass plate. I will give them the benefit of the doubt and hope that they just ran out of bowls... but it also looks like these paper cups are used in the lounge for soup. What the heck?
5. The 2 truffles they give you at boarding time is kind of pathetic. White box, no branding whatsoever (thus, I assume these are Costco-style generic, nothing fancy). Didn't bother trying them.

Since the Polaris seat isn't widely available, I was expecting United to really come through on the branding and presentation. Adding more courses or amenities like the wine tasting is a nice idea but I feel like they are missing a huge opportunity to make their product stand out. Yes, the linens are nice (getting away from the white napkin, finally!) but having a white cardboard box of truffles (at least Godiva or neuhaus or something??) just looks horrible and cheap. For now, let's assume the ice cream in a paper cup was a one-off. God forbid that's the norm... or is it? (I have no idea)

Visuals:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/membe...0-truffles.jpg

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/membe...05-dessert.jpg

kirkwoodj Jul 2, 2017 3:05 pm

Originally Posted by izzik (Post 28512120)
Just had my first Polaris experience (NRT-DEN, 787-8).
Food observations:
1. Japanese option was tasty but could have been presented better.
2. Traditional Japanese desserts was a nice touch - I'm glad for anything beyond the ice cream option.
3. Cheese plate was offered in addition to ice cream / dessert cart, but it was kind of gross (why does cheddar continue to show up here?!). Pre-plated, 3 cheese types (cheddar, brie, and a blue) with ONE grape. Looked like something you could get in the lounge.
4. Ice cream was served in a paper cup on a glass plate. I will give them the benefit of the doubt and hope that they just ran out of bowls... but it also looks like these paper cups are used in the lounge for soup. What the heck?
5. The 2 truffles they give you at boarding time is kind of pathetic. White box, no branding whatsoever (thus, I assume these are Costco-style generic, nothing fancy). Didn't bother trying them.

Since the Polaris seat isn't widely available, I was expecting United to really come through on the branding and presentation. Adding more courses or amenities like the wine tasting is a nice idea but I feel like they are missing a huge opportunity to make their product stand out. Yes, the linens are nice (getting away from the white napkin, finally!) but having a white cardboard box of truffles (at least Godiva or neuhaus or something??) just looks horrible and cheap. For now, let's assume the ice cream in a paper cup was a one-off. God forbid that's the norm... or is it? (I have no idea)

-paper cup sundae is actually an improvement over the past couple months of crappy pre-packaged ice cream in a cup (i.e. no toppings)
-the packaging of the chocolates is the norm ex-Asia, not sure what the deal is. They have been tasty though IME
-yes the new cheese thing sucks and has been this way since 01DEC :td:
-Japanese meals up & down, I too enjoy the change from the same old stuff.

FlyerBeek Jul 2, 2017 8:02 pm

Originally Posted by izzik (Post 28512120)
ng??) just looks horrible and cheap. For now, let's assume the ice cream in a paper cup was a one-off. God forbid that's the norm... or is it? (I have no idea)

Goodness. Did it really take UA 2.5 months of brainstorming to come up with this solution? Seems like they could have catered paper bowls from almost day one.

-FlyerBeek

kirkwoodj Jul 2, 2017 9:24 pm

Originally Posted by FlyerBeek (Post 28512987)
Goodness. Did it really take UA 2.5 months of brainstorming to come up with this solution? Seems like they could have catered paper bowls from almost day one.

-FlyerBeek

There's a whole thread about this. Enjoy! ;)

bryanwallace Jul 2, 2017 10:18 pm

still no sundaes on the nrt routes then?? travelling on mon

FlyerBeek Jul 3, 2017 5:36 am

Originally Posted by kirkwoodj (Post 28513215)
There's a whole thread about this. Enjoy! ;)

Well aware. Just reply in astonishment to izzik's post here!

Originally Posted by bryanwallace (Post 28513308)
still no sundaes on the nrt routes then?? travelling on mon

The should be back now, albeit in a paper soup cup.

-FlyerBeek

GloballyServiced Jul 3, 2017 7:05 am

I am still baffled by how terrible of an idea it was for the tray table to stow into the foot well. Mind blowingly bad idea.

JVPhoto Jul 3, 2017 9:45 am

Originally Posted by Rotus12 (Post 28514304)
I am still baffled by how terrible of an idea it was for the tray table to stow into the foot well. Mind blowingly bad idea.

My favorite J seat being the ANA IOJ staggered does the same. :confused:

Kacee Jul 3, 2017 11:57 am

Originally Posted by JVPhoto (Post 28514841)
My favorite J seat being the ANA IOJ staggered does the same.

Yes, I find the tray table design to be one of the best features of this seat.

It's also the same as the B/E Super Diamond's design. Certainly superior to the folding table the Cirrus seat uses.

roadkit Jul 4, 2017 7:39 am

Originally Posted by StuckinITH (Post 28447108)
I guess there should be serious retraining of flight attendants to make it a good experience.

Unfortunately, our culture combined with union rules prevent FAs from being required to give the sort of top-shelf service one expects in a business or First Class cabin, or which is already available on many overseas carriers.

GloballyServiced Jul 4, 2017 8:15 am

Originally Posted by Kacee (Post 28515285)
Yes, I find the tray table design to be one of the best features of this seat.

It's also the same as the B/E Super Diamond's design. Certainly superior to the folding table the Cirrus seat uses.

My left knee cap disagrees. Why stow it in the footwell rather than the multitude of other options? The previous business first ones basically disappear.

Not to mention this one blocks the arm motor controls when you pull it out.

lotemblizej Jul 4, 2017 8:36 am

First real Polaris experience in C on June 30 when 777 300ER was subbed for 777 200 on BRU-IAD route. New seat is amazing, with storage, more work area, easier tray, larger foot well, improved entertainment screen with better touch response, and a great private feel to the single window seat. Look of cabin is also really nice in my mind. Improved food and bedding are also nice, as I have already experienced during several flights on 747 and 777 200 in recent months. Chicago based crew was visibly excited as they told me this was their first flight too on the new aircraft. Good idea for UA to cycle these new aircraft through various hubs. My aircraft had flown EWR-FRA-ORD-BRU before doing BRU-IAD, so it was getting around. Y was barely half full as the new aircraft has 100 more Y seats than the 777 200 and it was subbed only 2 days before my flight, but flying Y in a full 777 300ER would be BRUTAL. Note to self: Polaris is worth any price on this aircraft...of course, that is what UA wants me to think!

bryanwallace Jul 4, 2017 7:44 pm

Originally Posted by FlyerBeek (Post 28514082)
Well aware. Just reply in astonishment to izzik's post here!

The should be back now, albeit in a paper soup cup.

-FlyerBeek

thanks-i saw the pictures -but even ignoring the paper soup cup ,IM having a hard time considering that a sundae..