Search

No food onboard?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5, 2019, 3:04 pm
gre
Original Poster

Programs: UA-Plat, Marriott-Plat, AAI, AAII
No food onboard?

I recently flew an early morning weekday DFW-IAD flight. I figured I'd buy a breakfast box because none of the offerings in the pathetic DFW terminal used by UA looked very appealing. I was more than a little surprised when the FA said "no food onboard". We didn't even get a breakfast cookie.

Is that normal?
Old Jun 5, 2019, 3:11 pm

Unfortunately yes. It's also common to run out of hot options after the first few rows of Economy Plus.
Old Jun 5, 2019, 3:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM
If you go to the 'Amenities' section of the 'Flight Status Details' tab in the app, you can find out ahead of time what snack/food/beverage service to expect aboard your flight. That has helped save me from some disappointment in the past ... though I still can't understand why it would be acceptable that one might only get a light snack in F on a four-hour ORD-LAX flight.
cawhite and mr8 like this.
Old Jun 5, 2019, 4:31 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by davie355
Unfortunately yes. It's also common to run out of hot options after the first few rows of Economy Plus.
Sorry I do not believe this is correct. DFW > IAD is a 3 hour flight.

UA.com states
1Choice Menu Snack shop offers snacks and snackboxes for purchase throughout the day in United Economy on most United mainline and United Express flights with a scheduled flight time over 1.5 hours. Choice Menu Bistro on board offers freshly prepared meals available for purchase in United Economy on most United mainline flights with a scheduled flight time over 3 hours departing before 8 p.m.

2United offers a complimentary snack on flights within North America, between the U.S. and Central America, and between Honolulu and Guam

When booking, UA.com indicates "Snacks for purchase" on this route whether it is a mainline or ux flight.

OP, I believe there should have been a snack (cookie or whatever else) for free plus BOB options. Sounds like the flight was not catered properly. You could probably write in and receive some miles for it.
Old Jun 5, 2019, 5:09 pm

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by txaggiemiles
Sorry I do not believe this is correct. DFW > IAD is a 3 hour flight.

UA.com states
1Choice Menu Snack shop offers snacks and snackboxes for purchase throughout the day in United Economy on most United mainline and United Express flights with a scheduled flight time over 1.5 hours. Choice Menu Bistro on board offers freshly prepared meals available for purchase in United Economy on most United mainline flights with a scheduled flight time over 3 hours departing before 8 p.m.

2United offers a complimentary snack on flights within North America, between the U.S. and Central America, and between Honolulu and Guam

When booking, UA.com indicates "Snacks for purchase" on this route whether it is a mainline or ux flight.

OP, I believe there should have been a snack (cookie or whatever else) for free plus BOB options. Sounds like the flight was not catered properly. You could probably write in and receive some miles for it.
I've run into this at least twice this year where there was no food for purchase, other than those snack boxes, on flights scheduled for over three hours. Of course the FA tries to say "our flying time is under three hours today" which is irrelevant. UA needs to change the language in their Hemispheres mag to read something like "If you're lucky, we'll have one of the above selections available on flights scheduled over three hours".

edit: The most galling was when they didn't cater any real food for purchase and yet the FAs were provided full crew meals.
Old Jun 5, 2019, 5:17 pm

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by iapetus
If you go to the 'Amenities' section of the 'Flight Status Details' tab in the app, you can find out ahead of time what snack/food/beverage service to expect aboard your flight. That has helped save me from some disappointment in the past ... though I still can't understand why it would be acceptable that one might only get a light snack in F on a four-hour ORD-LAX flight.
They're only serving a light snack on ORD-LAX in F? I recall this has always been breakfast, lunch and dinner during the standard meal hours (5am - 8pm).
Old Jun 5, 2019, 5:44 pm

Check the website to determine what should have been served.
Just flew AA CLT to LAS in First class and no meal was served.
Instead this was served to us..

700-899 miles
(2 – 2:30 hours)

• Warmed mixed nuts and a selection of plated snack such as fruit and cheese, hummus and pita or spinach dip and pita; or a warm cookie is served on most flights.

When it should have been

1,299 + miles
(over 3:30 hours)

• An appetizer paired with your entrée followed by cake for dessert after Lunch and ice cream for dessert after Dinner.
  • On flights over 2,200 miles and over 4:30 hours, you'll also receive a choice of dessert: made-to-order ice cream or a fruit and cheese plate.
Old Jun 5, 2019, 5:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by oyouno
...over 2,200 miles and over 4:30 hours, you'll also receive a choice of dessert: made-to-order ice cream or a fruit and cheese plate.
Bolding mine.

Gee, I'm impressed. I guess AA thinks FAs have enough time on their hands on flights over 2,200 miles that they churn ice cream fresh for passengers
PTahCha likes this.
Old Jun 5, 2019, 6:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
Bolding mine.

Gee, I'm impressed. I guess AA thinks FAs have enough time on their hands on flights over 2,200 miles that they churn ice cream fresh for passengers
they hook up the churn to one of the engines. The ice cream is ready in no time.
Old Jun 5, 2019, 7:25 pm

Programs: UA Plat

I have something similar on an upcoming itinerary. I was thinking I would get breakfast on the flight but I guess it's snacks... I read the website that explains when food is served, it seems like this flight should be covered.
Old Jun 5, 2019, 8:02 pm

That sucks. I've been there before. Can't remember which airline but it was a flight from Vegas to Seattle (2 hour). We didn't have time for a meal at the airport as my kid forgot her phone in the back of our rental car and we had to go fetch it. No meal at the airport and they ran out by the time they got to us. Fortunately, my kids are QDoba fans and the flight was only a little over 2 hours.

Anyway, like you, we survived to tell the tale.
tstauck likes this.
Old Jun 6, 2019, 12:43 am

Programs: UA 1K, MR Bonvoy Bonzaiiiii, National EE
Originally Posted by davie355
I disagree based on my experience - most flights have at least some food or snacks loaded on board and offered.

I do agree completely about the hot food options - my take is that these are all being snagged up early by my fellow 1k who get them for free now. I managed to snag the last burger while in an exit row on Monday and was shocked. Usually I have to get seat 10/11 on a 737 to even have a chance at a hot food item.
Old Jun 6, 2019, 12:57 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by txaggiemiles
Choice Menu Bistro on board offers freshly prepared meals available for purchase in United Economy on most United mainline flights with a scheduled flight time over 3 hours departing before 8 p.m.
Note that this is not the same as block time. So while block time DFW-IAD is right at 3 hours (not "over"), UA's "scheduled flight time" likely brings the flight well under the 3 hour threshold. UA plays this same trick to deny meals in F on routes such as SFO-ORD.
bluedemon211 likes this.
Old Jun 6, 2019, 3:23 am

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, Amtrak Guest Rewards
What exactly is "Block Time" and how does it differ from "Scheduled Flight Time?" I can see a few standards being used, but don't know which ones are used for which term.

Difference between planned Departure and Arrival as posted on the internet when you buy your ticket. (Advertised)
Difference between planned Departure and Arrival times as calculated by the Flight Ops and Dispatch center a few hours before departure.
Difference between planned Takeoff and Landing (time actually in flight).
Old Jun 6, 2019, 6:15 am

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by phkc070408
What exactly is "Block Time" and how does it differ from "Scheduled Flight Time?" I can see a few standards being used, but don't know which ones are used for which term.

Difference between planned Departure and Arrival as posted on the internet when you buy your ticket. (Advertised)
Difference between planned Departure and Arrival times as calculated by the Flight Ops and Dispatch center a few hours before departure.
Difference between planned Takeoff and Landing (time actually in flight).

Block time is what you see on your ticket

Scheduled flight time is wheels up to wheels down - when you board and the captain says "Our flight time today is 1hr and 45 min", but your tickets says 2 hr 15 min
phkc070408 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.