Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Looking for Cheap Flight to anywhere - just looking to fly

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Looking for Cheap Flight to anywhere - just looking to fly

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1, 2019, 1:58 pm

Programs: Hertz PC
Originally Posted by joeyE
I would do MSP.
It’s under $200 pp in October on United.
You get to connect through ORD, so he gets double the takeoffs.
You get to overnight at the Mall of America which is a great place for kids
The mall is a 4 minute Uber ride from the airport, so you don’t need a car.
Agree on this one. Cool lakes on landing at MSP. Take the train from MSP to Hotels at Mall of America. Lot funner for kid then uber.
Old Jun 2, 2019, 1:48 am

Location: MSP, WLG, or the forward most A seat in Y I can get
Programs: UA Plat (and all the derivatives on cars and hotels that implies)
Seconded on taking the train to the mall. Depending on the weather and the walking inclination of yourself and kids, there are some nice trails in MN Valley Wildlife refuge near the airport too that you could hotel shuttle to. At that time of year, could be nice fall colors.
Xyzzy likes this.
Old Jun 3, 2019, 6:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, Amtrak Guest Rewards
Thank you all for the wonderful responses. I will look into the MSP option. Mrs. and I also need to count shillings and rupees and make sure we won't starve ourselves elsewhere, as $1K plus is quite an expensive birthday party (replacement) for a 7 year old.

Also, thank you to the Flyertalker who offered us a few RPUs for the trip. That was very kind of you.

Finally, Being an NRSA of Amtrak, taking the train to EWR is a given.
mrt88 likes this.
Old Jun 3, 2019, 6:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by phkc070408
Thank you all for the wonderful responses. I will look into the MSP option. Mrs. and I also need to count shillings and rupees and make sure we won't starve ourselves elsewhere, as $1K plus is quite an expensive birthday party (replacement) for a 7 year old.

Also, thank you to the Flyertalker who offered us a few RPUs for the trip. That was very kind of you.

Finally, Being an NRSA of Amtrak, taking the train to EWR is a given.
Thumbs up to whoever this kind soul is!
abaheti, mrt88 and east_west like this.
Old Jun 3, 2019, 6:33 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by joeyE
I would do MSP.
It’s under $200 pp in October on United.
You get to connect through ORD, so he gets double the takeoffs.
You get to overnight at the Mall of America which is a great place for kids
The mall is a 4 minute Uber ride from the airport, so you don’t need a car.
The light rail line goes directly from MSP to MOA; it's only a couple stops.

MSP airport hotels are often very reasonably priced; most offer free shuttle service to MSP and MOA. One or them was recently renovated and has a big indoor water park; it's called something like Great Bear Lodge and is operated by the company that runs some of the resort hotels in the Wisconsin Dells area.

Your kids might also enjoy taking the tram that runs along the C gates; there's an attractive play area (airplane themed) almost across from the DL C SkyClub around gate C12 or so.

Nevertheless, IMO the most fun airport would be DTW (the DL terminal, so that isn't relevant for the OP) due to the overhead train that runs along the A gates and the psychedelic tunnel connecting the A gateas to B/C. There's also a cool bamboo forest in the Westin hotel lobby.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 10:31 am

Programs: United 1K, Frontier 100K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond/ Ambassador/ Milestoner

Great Wolf Lodge. At the Colorado Springs one now.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 10:38 am

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
Originally Posted by pretzlaff

Great Wolf Lodge. At the Colorado Springs one now.
My kids love this place. Ten minutes from my house if I drive super slow.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.