Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Green tagged bag - questions, experiences, ...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 16, 2022, 8:41 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Definitions

Gate Check / White Tags -- this can occur with mainline or UX, this is when not enough space remains in overhead bins for more carry-on. The GA will announce the need for gate check (rarely before boarding group 4 / non-elites, Basic Economy is BG5). You will receive a white tag before boarding and your bag will be checked thru to the destination, at no cost to you and go to the normal bag carousel
  • Another gate check case is a Basic Economy customer attempting to bring a too large carry-on when not allowed for the route. The GA may force a gate check and charge the customer.

Valet Check / Green Tags -- as some UX overhead bins are too small for carry-on, rollaboards, as boarding you will drop your bag off (get a green tag) and it will be return to you as you arrive at the next airport. Sometimes this will be a cart as your board the aircraft, sometime an area in the jet ramp / jet way. There are some reports at very small airports with no connections, bags may go to the carousel -- this is very rare.

Print Wikipost

Green tagged bag - questions, experiences, ...

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1, 2019, 2:48 pm

Programs: United Gold, Hilton Silver, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by bluepig1
I was told the same on a recent CRJ-200 flight between ORD and MDT (can't recall if this was on the outbound or return, but I think it was operated by SkyWest) - I boarded late at the end of the boarding process and despite having a small carryon that would normally fit in the small overhead bins, the bins in First Class were full. The gate agent told me she had to affix the green tag.
You were on a CRJ-200 with First Class? I didn't think they existed.
Old Jun 1, 2019, 3:21 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by BBSHOPSINGER
You were on a CRJ-200 with First Class? I didn't think they existed.
Special treatment for GS.......

Just kidding. It must have been a CRJ-700.
bluepig1 likes this.
Old Jun 1, 2019, 6:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by docbert
Which is, in itself, a true statement. These tags indicate whether a bag in the hold has been through TSA security, and thus control whether it can be returned plane-side or not.
Are you sure? I ask because until not that long ago - maybe 3 years ago, maybe 5, AC didn’t use any tags on their regional equipment, you just left it at the gate (and essentially hoped it made it on the plane, because there was no tracking document if it didn’t). This includes on Canada-US and vv flights, and bags were always handed back to me on arrival planeside.
Old Jun 1, 2019, 7:06 pm

Programs: UA 2MM, AA 600k, DL 500k, Hyatt GP 1M, HH Gold, Rad. Gold, CP Gold, Miracle Fruit-su Club
Originally Posted by fastair
I (gate agent) always affix them myself. I look for all the things listed on the DoT sign at each podium that whoever accepts the bag is supposed to be looking for. Smart bags, condensation (sign there may be dry ice in bag) leaking fluids. I also check for existing damage. It takes about the same 1.5 seconds that affixing the tag does. You do know that even when you self tag in lobby, the tag isn’t activated until and agent activates it. Same thing (they are also checking size and weight.)
Thank you, fastair. I always appreciate (all) your insider answers. This one perplexes me. I am unfamiliar with the green tags being activated, and wonder if it's a step that I haven't been aware of. IME, the only system that keeps track is my brain, and the only documentation is the matching ends.
Old Jun 2, 2019, 5:36 am

Location: What I write is my opinion alone..don't read into it anything not written.
Originally Posted by Firewind
Thank you, fastair. I always appreciate (all) your insider answers. This one perplexes me. I am unfamiliar with the green tags being activated, and wonder if it's a step that I haven't been aware of. IME, the only system that keeps track is my brain, and the only documentation is the matching ends.
green tags don’t get activated (they do get scanned) It’s the “self tag” in the lobby that do
lincolnjkc likes this.
Old Jun 3, 2019, 6:38 am

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
Yesterday, GA asked if I just wanted to keep my old green tag on my gate-checked roll-aboard but she had the new tag on the handle by the time she noticed the old one so it was kind of moot.
Old Jun 3, 2019, 12:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
I recently did UX DEN-STL (I can't remember which direction). I asked GA for a green tag. She looked very busy. She quickly gave me one and said, "I'm supposed to do it, but I trust you."
Old Jun 7, 2019, 12:29 am

Programs: UA OG-1K, Marriott Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by bocastephen
Maybe they were getting some phony lost bag claims - people taking tags for bags that didn't exist and then filing a lost bag claim on arrival.
It would have to be scanned by the ground crew to have a legit chance of being shown to have been on the flight, right?

What is the 'propper' way to attach a green tag? I do it on the top handle for a roll on, actually, the handle that extends since my brief is sitting on the true handle.

I used to fly almost only UX flights. This year, it is almost all UA metal.
Old Jun 7, 2019, 7:03 am

Programs: UA-GS 1MM), Hertz Pres Circle, Starriott Titanium)
Originally Posted by DawgmanOH
As a CLE flyer, I find that 50% of the agents want to affix the tags themselves. No real rhyme or reason but some just won't let you put them on yourselves while others are more than happy to let you do it.
It makes sense for them to do it. I find the tags are very very fragile. Mine usually fall off halfway down the jetbridge. So frustrating.
Xyzzy and silverforumsurf like this.
Old Jun 20, 2019, 10:54 pm

Programs: Avios, Mileage Plus, Elevate, Skywards
I was on an UAX flight in mid-May from SEA-LAX and prior to boarding, they made the typical statement carry-on bags won’t fit and will need to be put into hold. I witnessed the gate agent handing out the green tags to the pax to install themselves they headed down the jet bridge. I thought that was peculiarly as I always thought the agents strictly had to.
Old Feb 3, 2022, 6:48 pm

On the crj and Erj-145 valet checked luggage are valet checked for weight and balance purposes as the cargo in the rear of the aircraft balances out the nose heavy aircraft.

My best advice (coming from a regional flight attendant). Never pack any valuables medications or your computer in your larger carry on (rollerboards, large duffels, and backpacks) as the flight attendant(s) will tell you to valet check your bag.

Also, your bag should be returned to the gate once you land but if you don’t pick it up at the gate it will be sent to the baggage claim. If it is sent straight to the baggage claim it is most likely due to the airport being short staffed or because weather conditions might restrict what the ramp agents can do.
Old May 7, 2022, 9:29 am

Under normal conditions is there any situation where a gate checked rollaboard can be made an actual checked bag (i.e. "to final destination" as opposed to picked up at the gate)?
Old May 7, 2022, 9:36 am

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by tr3k
Under normal conditions is there any situation where a gate checked rollaboard can be made an actual checked bag (i.e. "to final destination" as opposed to picked up at the gate)?
My recollection is gate checked bags always go to bagge claim at the final destination. The exception would be for aircraft that can't accomodate carry-ons (typically 50 seat RJs).
Old May 7, 2022, 10:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JimInOhio
My recollection is gate checked bags always go to bagge claim at the final destination. The exception would be for aircraft that can't accomodate carry-ons (typically 50 seat RJs).
Correct. And if you are on a flight where they're green-tagging bags, and you would prefer to pick the bag up at baggage claim at your final destination, take the bag to the gate agent and ask. They should be able to print bag tags there at no charge. Then, you'd just take the bag down the jetway and drop it off with all of the green-tagged bags, and it will be treated as checked baggage, not cabin baggage, from that point forward.
Old May 7, 2022, 12:26 pm

I actually prefer (in fact - have to) pick up the bag at the connecting airport, and not the final destination. Will fly UX from DCA (CRJ 550), so presumably my full size rollaboard won't fit. So trying to gauge what are the chances they force my bag to be checked to the final destination.

P.S. Looking further, CRJ-550 seems to have more space for carryon bags than CRJ-200 (which is what I am used to).

Last edited by tr3k; May 7, 2022 at 12:40 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.