Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Green tagged bag - questions, experiences, ...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 16, 2022, 8:41 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Definitions

Gate Check / White Tags -- this can occur with mainline or UX, this is when not enough space remains in overhead bins for more carry-on. The GA will announce the need for gate check (rarely before boarding group 4 / non-elites, Basic Economy is BG5). You will receive a white tag before boarding and your bag will be checked thru to the destination, at no cost to you and go to the normal bag carousel
  • Another gate check case is a Basic Economy customer attempting to bring a too large carry-on when not allowed for the route. The GA may force a gate check and charge the customer.

Valet Check / Green Tags -- as some UX overhead bins are too small for carry-on, rollaboards, as boarding you will drop your bag off (get a green tag) and it will be return to you as you arrive at the next airport. Sometimes this will be a cart as your board the aircraft, sometime an area in the jet ramp / jet way. There are some reports at very small airports with no connections, bags may go to the carousel -- this is very rare.

Print Wikipost

Green tagged bag - questions, experiences, ...

Search this Thread

Old May 30, 2019, 5:23 pm

Saw a gate agent relay the same message to a customer at CLT for a Mesa flight.
Old May 30, 2019, 6:19 pm

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
A few agents in COS think green tags are apparently gold and only qualified agents can attach them. Maybe she transferred to DEN.
RoyalFlush likes this.
Old May 30, 2019, 6:42 pm
mr8

Programs: UA1K | *A Gold
Where were you in the boarding process and was your carry-on fitable in the overhead? I wonder if the agent just wanted to make you gate check it to make more room in the overhead..?

I usually try to take advantage of my 1K preboard on regional flights and have to request a green tag or they’ll sometimes hand me one tell me to use it if I can’t find room for my carry-on.
Old May 30, 2019, 7:10 pm

United Ground Express has the same policy at all stations
fezzington likes this.
Old May 30, 2019, 7:36 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by mr8
Where were you in the boarding process and was your carry-on fitable in the overhead? I wonder if the agent just wanted to make you gate check it to make more room in the overhead..?

I usually try to take advantage of my 1K preboard on regional flights and have to request a green tag or they’ll sometimes hand me one tell me to use it if I can’t find room for my carry-on.
i was in group one, maybe 4th on the plane. It was a CRJ-200, and I had a full size carry on. It definitely would not have fit. Oh and I proactively asked for the tag as I was presenting my boarding pass
Old May 30, 2019, 7:47 pm

Programs: United GS, Marriott Titanium, HHonors Gold, AA Gold
I was told the same on a recent CRJ-200 flight between ORD and MDT (can't recall if this was on the outbound or return, but I think it was operated by SkyWest) - I boarded late at the end of the boarding process and despite having a small carryon that would normally fit in the small overhead bins, the bins in First Class were full. The gate agent told me she had to affix the green tag.
Old May 30, 2019, 8:22 pm

Programs: UA 2P, HH Gold
2009-2013 I lived in MSN which was all UX at the time, and the gate agent always insisted they attach the green tag due to "policy". FWIW, I've flown UX at other stations and no one else insisted in attaching the green tag.
Old May 30, 2019, 8:28 pm

Location: What I write is my opinion alone..don't read into it anything not written.
I (gate agent) always affix them myself. I look for all the things listed on the DoT sign at each podium that whoever accepts the bag is supposed to be looking for. Smart bags, condensation (sign there may be dry ice in bag) leaking fluids. I also check for existing damage. It takes about the same 1.5 seconds that affixing the tag does. You do know that even when you self tag in lobby, the tag isn’t activated until and agent activates it. Same thing (they are also checking size and weight.)
Old May 30, 2019, 8:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by fastair
I (gate agent) always affix them myself.
Green (valet) tags? Or just the full, check-to-the-final-destination tags?

I can only remember one person (a gate agent at ORD) saying that she needed to green-tag my bag herself. Generally, if the agent isn't busy, I will approach the podium prior to boarding and request one, in order to expedite the process later. I've also seen agents proactively distribute them around the gate area.
Old May 30, 2019, 9:06 pm

Programs: UA PM, DL PM, Bonvoy Titanium, HH Gold
As a CLE flyer, I find that 50% of the agents want to affix the tags themselves. No real rhyme or reason but some just won't let you put them on yourselves while others are more than happy to let you do it.
AceReport likes this.
Old May 30, 2019, 10:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
I've never run into this - usually prior to boarding I just go to the desk and ask for a tag and I've always been handed one without a fuss - one less thing for the agent to bother with.
jsloan, bakster21 and greytop13 like this.
Old May 30, 2019, 10:36 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist | Jumpseat Platinum
Originally Posted by trk1
United Ground Express has the same policy at all stations
So I've been told as a deadheading (mainline) crew member on UE.

Not wanting to violate anyone's scope clause, I didn't think much of it until this thread.
EWR764 likes this.
Old May 30, 2019, 11:21 pm

Programs: UA1K, QF Plat, *A & Marriot Gold, OW Emerald, Hyatt Hertz PC CanPass Nexus APEC Global Entry
I was on the same flight on Tuesday and on arrival in yyc they said the green tag bags will come out in the belt

after all the bags were gone off the #1 belt , about 10 min went bumpy before they announced the Gran tag bags will be in th oversized pickup on the other side of belt 4

total gong show
Old May 31, 2019, 6:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Seems to go in spurts. Ran into it most at EWR. One agent there insisted on scanning the green tag on the BP scanner before attaching it to the bag.

Some stations just habitually have them on top of the GA counter...a pile of them for anyone to help themselves.
Old May 31, 2019, 6:35 am

Programs: UA PP 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Gold
It probably should be done by the gate agent because someone could affix it in a weird location on the bag (plus the benefit of a quick bag inspection), but I've never seen this enforced. Earlier this week at PNS, the GA just pointed at the green tag stack for me to do it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.