Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Alternatives to Mileage Runs in New Era?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21, 2022, 5:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, SA Gold, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold, IHG Plat, AA Exec Plat
Alternatives to Mileage Runs in New Era?

With the MR effectively dead since it's all about spend now, is there an easy way to search for flights with big PQPs without just guessing a city and entering it in and searching every time? What are the best strategies people employ to make status again in this new era?
Old Nov 21, 2022, 6:08 pm

Programs: *
Originally Posted by tennisboy
With the MR effectively dead since it's all about spend now, is there an easy way to search for flights with big PQPs without just guessing a city and entering it in and searching every time? What are the best strategies people employ to make status again in this new era?
See sticky above - "I need XXX PQP/PQF to make status". Various options are covered in that thread.
Old Nov 21, 2022, 7:02 pm

Aren't non-UA *A tickets still (somewhat) based on distance traveled?

Evidently, because of the PQP cap, the optimal distance per segment is ~2500-5000 miles depending on operating carrier, fare class and a bunch of other things.
Old Nov 21, 2022, 7:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
If your primary objective is to achieve some kind of UA status, then maybe MRs shouldn't be the focus.

That said, there are still mileage runs. I ran up the BIS in a stretch this year where I was getting <5cpm domestic flights via UA. I wasn't focused on the spend but rather the best CPM play.

If you are willing to get off the spend rat race, you can try AS, which is still distance based.

I have had some spectacular MRs this year (2-3cpm) outside of UA and *A.
Old Nov 21, 2022, 7:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum, 1MM
Mileage runs nowadays seem mostly for million miler status that count BIS miles only.
Old Nov 21, 2022, 7:47 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
4 Trips in J

You can meet your segment requirement, and the spend, by buying 4 X $6K P or Z fare international rts in biz to achieve 1K easily.
jonisflying and 8MiHi like this.
Old Nov 21, 2022, 8:05 pm

Programs: UA 1K, JetBlue Mosaic
With the increase in PQP requirements we're already starting to see the rise of PQF "segment runs" in the mileage run threads. I wouldn't be too surprised if we were seeing users talk about their SFO-LAX-LAS and LGA-IAD-ROC runs by this time next year.
Old Nov 22, 2022, 3:33 am
1P

Location: LAX and LHR. UA lifetime Gold 1.9MM 1K , DL Gold Medallion, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by zombietooth
You can meet your segment requirement, and the spend, by buying 4 X $6K P or Z fare international rts in biz to achieve 1K easily.
I made 1K this year by buying just three int'l roundtrips in biz, one of them on AC. I had expected to move up from lifetime Gold to Plat, but 1K was a surprise. Next year with higher requirements, it will doubtless require the four roundtrips that zombietooth suggests.
Old Nov 22, 2022, 7:06 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
If all you need to do is spend, search for F tickets on short R/T flights from your home base. $/hr is probably highest on short hops than long TATL/TPAC. (Though seeing $22k+ J fares to Singapore does make me wonder . . .)
Old Nov 22, 2022, 7:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
I'm not quite sure why it is published, but the fare J (not to be confused with JUA) is $3,672 one-way for SFO-LAX which probably comes close to taking the cake. But if you're spending that much I would recommend actually going somewhere
jsloan, SPN Lifer, LAXOGG and 1 others like this.
Old Nov 22, 2022, 7:27 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by findark
I'm not quite sure why it is published, but the fare J (not to be confused with JUA) is $3,672 one-way for SFO-LAX which probably comes close to taking the cake. But if you're spending that much I would recommend actually going somewhere
On a charter flight, instead....
Old Nov 22, 2022, 8:14 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, SA Gold, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold, IHG Plat, AA Exec Plat
Originally Posted by zombietooth
What do you mean by "4x 6K" ? Thanks.

My base is YVR and I would rather do very short hops even for the $$.

Is there a way to buy a more expensive fare than what shows in J on the Website?
Old Nov 22, 2022, 8:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
What do you mean by "4x 6K" ? Thanks.

Is there a way to buy a more expensive fare than what shows in J on the Website?
4 trips x $6K per trip = $24K 1K requirement without segment consideration.

As long as you take 4 UA operated flights (segments), you can get to 1K if you can find $6K on average per flight/segment.

If you fly the min. # of flights and achieve 1K, then what? How do you plan to use the benefits, especially if you are already buying seats up front?

Originally Posted by 1P
I made 1K this year by buying just three int'l roundtrips in biz, one of them on AC. I had expected to move up from lifetime Gold to Plat, but 1K was a surprise. Next year with higher requirements, it will doubtless require the four roundtrips that zombietooth suggests.
Moving from one lifetime tier to another cannot be accomplished with two trips (minus AC), regardless of the spend. Do you mean your status for 2023?
Old Nov 22, 2022, 8:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Yes, but I don't know if an agent would be able to figure it out. Unrestricted fares in J class are going to be the easiest high point on the website.
Old Nov 22, 2022, 10:55 am

Programs: MileagePlus-Premier Silver, Marriott Bonvoy-Silver Elite

Look for international one-ways in J, maybe not short hops unless you fly YVR-LAX/SFO. You'd be shocked when you see those prices...SFO-LHR about 9-10k for random day in mid December.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.