Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

“No crossed feet for takeoff or landing”

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

“No crossed feet for takeoff or landing”

Search this Thread

Old May 26, 2019, 11:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Originally Posted by PTahCha
...watch how the seatbelt airbag works:
No whiplash for the test dummy without the airbag, looked dead on impact. The whole video indirectly showcases the benefit of the rear-facing seat.
Old May 26, 2019, 12:44 pm

Programs: UA1k 3MM, AA Plt, peasant on everybody else, elite something or other at a bunch of hotels.
Originally Posted by MHG
This is not funny at all since it is not relevant in an evacuation whether someone is wearing shoes or not as walking barefoot (with/without socks ...) is safe.
People usually can walk equally well with or without shoes ...
Although I suspect it might pose a higher risk of cutting your feet while walking/crawling over possible debris on the cabin floor during a crash landing.

I´m pretty sure she noticed his shoes were off but didn´t care because it is not relevant to safety.

... and as a side note to our ladies: high heel shoes (e.g. pumps/ high heel sandals) should not be worn in case of an evacuation.
Most if not all safety cards do mention this for a good reason.
This confirms that it is considered a minor risk walking barefoot during evacuation.

Personally I put off my shoes only in flight stages where no "sudden unfortunate occurrence leading to imminent evacuation" are likely (during cruise that is).
So, I rarely put off my shoes in flight anyway.
I remember being in Bangkok several years ago and reading of an emergency evacuation of a 747 (that may have been UA's) in which the only reported injuries happened to pax who had to leave the plane barefoot. Ever since then, I make a point of always having shoes on during take-off and landing.
BearX220 and ajGoes like this.
Old May 26, 2019, 1:00 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
I've never understood why people have issues complying with FA instructions and alternatively have to post the instruction in an internet forum, just saying.
I can't speak for anyone else, but I do have issues with power-tripping FAs making up rules which I must obey or get kicked off the plane.
Where do you draw the line? Today it's "feet on the floor" (fine advice perhaps, but NOT a rule). What's next?
iluv2fly and YadiMolina like this.
Old May 26, 2019, 1:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by chavala
I can't speak for anyone else, but I do have issues with power-tripping FAs making up rules which I must obey or get kicked off the plane.
Where do you draw the line? Today it's "feet on the floor" (fine advice perhaps, but NOT a rule). What's next?
Paraphrasing General Vargas (from the movie "Bananas"):
"From this day on, the official language of [United Airlines] will be Swedish. Silence! In addition to that, all [passengers] will be required wear their underwear on the outside! Furthermore, all children under 16 years old are now... 16 years old!"
RobH and chavala like this.
Old May 26, 2019, 1:27 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist | Jumpseat Platinum
Wow... Tons of misinformation in this thread. Also some startling power trip tales.
  • No:
    • Pax don't have to be in a brace position for takeoff and landing. Only time FAs are supposed to come around enforcing this is for "planned" (read: time to prepare) emergency landings.
      • FAs do have to "brace" in one of two positions when in a jumpseat, for every takeoff/touchdown. Some will even do it in a passenger seat.
    • The exit shades do not have to be open on US flagged Airlines (In fact, this is explicitly stated in UAL FA's Policy manual)
    • You don't have to take headphones off
  • Yes:
    • You must wear your shoulder strap in Polaris (I know it's uncomfortable...)
    • You must unplug from the outlets (even if power is technically cut off for some time)
    • Your headrest must be stowed, (even if some find that instruction silly).
Someone mentioned 50,000 FAs. UAL has something closer to 25,000.
PTahCha, wxguy, HMPS and 2 others like this.
Old May 26, 2019, 2:44 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by kettle1
This FA is full of crap and needs to be retrained. The FA should also tell you to walk with a book on your head for perfect posture. Where do they come up with this garbage? HS diploma and 6 weeks of training.
Surprising how many "right thinking" people want to rebel not knowing the EXACT regs. If the instruction "costs you nothing" why not comply because logic says broken leg(s) will retard your evac, but more important will delay my getting to safety. These attitudes proliferate.
Old May 26, 2019, 2:54 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
Originally Posted by fezzington
Wow... Tons of misinformation in this thread. Also some startling power trip tales.
  • No:
    • Pax don't have to be in a brace position for takeoff and landing. Only time FAs are supposed to come around enforcing this is for "planned" (read: time to prepare) emergency landings.
      • FAs do have to "brace" in one of two positions when in a jumpseat, for every takeoff/touchdown. Some will even do it in a passenger seat.
    • The exit shades do not have to be open on US flagged Airlines (In fact, this is explicitly stated in UAL FA's Policy manual)
    • You don't have to take headphones off
  • Yes:
    • You must wear your shoulder strap in Polaris (I know it's uncomfortable...)
    • You must unplug from the outlets (even if power is technically cut off for some time)
    • Your headrest must be stowed, (even if some find that instruction silly).
Someone mentioned 50,000 FAs. UAL has something closer to 25,000.
Thanks...
But what about "crossed feet"???
Old May 26, 2019, 2:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Originally Posted by HMPS
Surprising how many "right thinking" people want to rebel not knowing the EXACT regs. If the instruction "costs you nothing" why not comply because logic says broken leg(s) will retard your evac, but more important will delay my getting to safety. These attitudes proliferate.
Good point. I think two main issues that may also need fixing in evacuations are (a) people taking luggage, and (b) hesitating to go down the slides. Every single second of evacuation delay may equal an extra casualty, as probably the case in the recent Aeroflot fire accident.

Unfortunately the "cost you nothing" piece is subjective, it causes some minor inconvenience, and coupled with the extremely low probability of an evacuation, and the newness and perceived uncertainty of the importance of the info, will cause some people not to take it seriously.

The other issue mentioned above is, "would you have time to uncross your feet upon impact, instinctively, or would they be broken instantly". This is an empirical or expertise-related question, I guess.

Last edited by nk15; May 26, 2019 at 3:48 pm
Old May 26, 2019, 3:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
I'm happy to do whatever I asm told.
Old May 26, 2019, 3:20 pm

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by fezzington
UAL has something closer to 25,000.
With 25,000 people, I can understand some outliers that might interpret some rules or directives differently (assuming that's the case with crossed feet and drinks on the center armrest). But this doesn't happen in a vacuum. Don't the other crew converse about such things?
Old May 26, 2019, 3:25 pm

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by nk15
Unfortunately the "cost you nothing" piece is subjective, it causes some minor inconvenience, and coupled with the extremely low probability of an evacuation, and the newness and perceived uncertainty of the importance of the info, will cause some people not to take it seriously.
A few years ago I saw a foreign documentary (Europe? Australia? Canada? I can't remember specifically) where they cited a study that found that passengers are more likely to pay attention to, and comply with, safety instructions if the consequences of not complying are given in explicit detail -- something along the lines of instead of "fasten your seatbelt low and tight..." using "To minimize the risk of broken bones and severe internal bleeding in the event of a crash, fasten your seatbelt low and tight..." etc. -- however generally in the industry the "don't panic the passenger" mentality has prevailed and doing the safety briefing in a low key, perfunctory, manner has prevailed to downplay the (already small) risk as much as possible.

(I love shows along the lines of Maday, etc. for the chain-of-failure analysis--and have even watched Why Planes Crash on The Weather Channel in flight. My wife can't stand the genre, let alone the thought it in flight, and I suspect the vast majority of air travelers are closer to her in choosing to be as blissfully unaware as one can be)

Likewise the rather infrequent occurrence of issues leads to a complacency -- I mean in 900+ flights I've had one emergency landing (no hydraulics on a Q400), a few diversions, and 4-5 rejected takeoffs-- never, knock on wood, anything "serious" so it's easy to view it as a routine inconvenience.
wrp96, ajGoes and nancypants like this.
Old May 26, 2019, 4:51 pm

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
Originally Posted by narvik
Thanks...
But what about "crossed feet"???
The un-crossed feet is part of the "brace position".
narvik, wrp96, nancypants and 1 others like this.
Old May 26, 2019, 5:42 pm

Programs: UA MM
I reread post #1 and it struck me, as presented, the FA didn't say "no crossed feet" was a regulation. He/she may have been simply saying it for passengers' own good, not to mention others around said passenger.
Old May 27, 2019, 6:18 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Annalisa12
I'm happy to do whatever I asm told.
Really. So never ever question “authority” ?
So if an FA says stand on your head and bark like a dog.....
Old May 27, 2019, 10:12 am

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by chavala
Really. So never ever question “authority” ?
So if an FA says stand on your head and bark like a dog.....
Not never ever but I have never been asked by an FA to do something that I felt was unreasonable or out of line with his/her responsibilities. A lot of the stories or complaints I see here on FT honestly sound to me like aggrieved self-appointed "elite" who can't believe they are asked to do something they don't want to and ascribe it all to FAs on power trips. I find the senses of entitlement in these threads somewhat comical. I have never encountered this particular admonition before but it makes sense from a safety standpoint and even according to the OP was only stated to apply to take-off and landing. Seriously, people can't uncross their feet or wear shoes for 10 minutes? I can't believe people still have their shoes off during take-off or landing -- forget the potentials for emergencies on landing, everyone I see is in a rush to get off as soon as we land anyway.

If the FA stated this was a rule, s/he would have been incorrect but it's still good advice and it wasn't clear to me in the OP whether this was advice or a command.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.