Community
Wiki Posts
Search

6 Hours to Kill on CDG Arrival

Search this Thread

Old May 20, 2019, 1:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, CO Plat, NW Plat, Marriott Premiere Plat, SPG Plat, Priority Gold, Hilton Gold
6 Hours to Kill on CDG Arrival

Land 7 AM at CDG, coworker lands 12:30 PM, so have some time to kill on arrival. Ideally, I'd spend it in a lounge. I'm currently booked Premium Plus and #1 on the list with one seat available for Polaris. A couple questions... UA 1K, I also theoretically have priority pass through my Bonvoy Brilliant card.

Are there any star alliance lounges I have access to on arrival? Would this answer change if I'm in J rather than R?

I have checked a bag. If this were ORD, I'd just get it when I was ready to leave the airport, but the last UA flight arrives 9:45 AM. Do I run the risk that there's no one to get the bag back from at Noon and should make sure I get it by, say, 10:30?

Any mods, if you can add "at CDG" to the thread title, much appreciated.
Old May 20, 2019, 1:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by raehl311
Land 7 AM at CDG, coworker lands 12:30 PM, so have some time to kill on arrival. Ideally, I'd spend it in a lounge. I'm currently booked Premium Plus and #1 on the list with one seat available for Polaris. A couple questions... UA 1K, I also theoretically have priority pass through my Bonvoy Brilliant card.

Are there any star alliance lounges I have access to on arrival? Would this answer change if I'm in J rather than R?

I have checked a bag. If this were ORD, I'd just get it when I was ready to leave the airport, but the last UA flight arrives 9:45 AM. Do I run the risk that there's no one to get the bag back from at Noon and should make sure I get it by, say, 10:30?

Any mods, if you can add "at CDG" to the thread title, much appreciated.
The lounges are only available to departing passengers, not arrivals. Are you connecting somewhere onward on a *A carrier and do you have *A Gold status?

If not, you can take B train into Gare du Nord. Baggage storage on lower level. Some of the lockers are coin only, but other banks of lockers take cards. From there, you can ride Metro to more interesting part of town to kill time with strolling or cafe table sitting/watching. Then meet your friend at Five Guys at Gare du Nord (just because it’s easy to remember).

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; May 20, 2019 at 2:10 pm
Old May 20, 2019, 1:57 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by raehl311
I have checked a bag. If this were ORD, I'd just get it when I was ready to leave the airport, but the last UA flight arrives 9:45 AM. Do I run the risk that there's no one to get the bag back from at Noon and should make sure I get it by, say, 10:30? ....
Where are you arriving from? Generally, you need to have your bag with when you exit customs. You can not go back later to get the bag without dealing with customs and that (elsewhere) can be an issue. A colleague once forgot an extra bag and it took hours in Italy to get the bag out of the secure customs area.
Old May 20, 2019, 3:56 pm

Programs: All of them, UA-Plat, 1MM*G
OP, your post isn't completely clear, but if you have no onward *A ticket from CDG, no lounge is available to you. CDG personnel are pretty efficient at sweeping up unclaimed bags from the belt before the next flight's bags get dropped. So I would pick them up right away and exit customs. At that point, your options are continuing to wait at the airport, or head for downtown Paris and wait there. If you want to wait in Terminal 1, I suggest you go to the lower level of the terminal. That is where all of the landside restaurants and concessions are.
Old May 20, 2019, 8:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH

The lounges are only available to departing passengers, not arrivals. Are you connecting somewhere onward on a *A carrier and do you have *A Gold status?

If not, you can take B train into Gare du Nord. Baggage storage on lower level. Some of the lockers are coin only, but other banks of lockers take cards. From there, you can ride Metro to more interesting part of town to kill time with strolling or cafe table sitting/watching. Then meet your friend at Five Guys at Gare du Nord (just because it’s easy to remember).
Wait. There’s a Five Guys at Gare du Nord? In Paris? There’s so many things wrong with this my head just exploded.
drewguy, jb64 and cranky1K like this.
Old May 20, 2019, 10:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by milepig

Wait. There’s a Five Guys at Gare du Nord? In Paris? There’s so many things wrong with this my head just exploded.

Yes, sort of middle at head of terminal. Hard to miss. I wish it were a Le Shake Shack. McDonald's already litter the arrondissiments - why not some grown-up burgers?

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; May 20, 2019 at 10:24 pm
Old May 21, 2019, 6:45 am

I was in a similar situation and got a day room with Club access at the Sheraton CDG, which is directly connected to Terminal 2. That's not the terminal that UA uses, but there is a landside SkyTrain between the terminals.

I just walked in, and the price was a lot lower than I anticipated, around 100 EUR for a room with airport view and club access. IIRC you can also reserve beforehand, but you need to call/mail as Marriott's reservation engine apparently can't price day rates anymore.

There's also a luggage storage facility at CDG next to the entrance of the aforementioned Sheraton.
Old May 21, 2019, 8:55 am

Programs: The Marina. Comic Relief. UA 1K and 1MM. MacBook Pro.
Originally Posted by milepig

There's one in HK in Wan Chai immediately underneath the three Michelin Starred Bo Innovation. Murica!
Old May 21, 2019, 10:38 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, TK Gold
Originally Posted by mozilla
I just walked in, and the price was a lot lower than I anticipated, around 100 EUR for a room with airport view and club access. IIRC you can also reserve beforehand, but you need to call/mail as Marriott's reservation engine apparently can't price day rates anymore.
The day rate code for Marriott is ZDY. Use it when you search and it would pull out the day rate (still have to put the check out date one day later than check in date though).
mozilla likes this.
Old May 21, 2019, 11:09 am

Programs: UA 1P-1MM, Marriott LT Titanium
Priority Pass lounges at CDG are all Airside, so that won't really help you.
Old May 21, 2019, 11:14 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Why for some reason do I think that the LH lounge is not in the sterile area at CDG. Last time when I was leaving, and looking around for some reason I thought the LH lounge was not situated in the sterile area. Can anyone confirm?
Old May 21, 2019, 11:54 am

Programs: UA-1K MM, AA-Gold, DL-Silver, AS-MVP
Originally Posted by Flying Machine
Why for some reason do I think that the LH lounge is not in the sterile area at CDG. Last time when I was leaving, and looking around for some reason I thought the LH lounge was not situated in the sterile area. Can anyone confirm?
LH lounge is airside, in T1 satellite 6. It's downstairs by gate 61 I believe.
Old May 21, 2019, 11:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
All of this is rather a moot point for OP since he arrived at CDG about 12 hours ago.

Irony - When the link to the WiFi refund ... also doesn't work.
Old May 21, 2019, 12:50 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Originally Posted by pseudoswede
All of this is rather a moot point for OP since he arrived at CDG about 12 hours ago.

Irony - When the link to the WiFi refund ... also doesn't work.
Even though the OP may have landed a while back. I continue to post, because I always learned in the past from FT after the fact through it’s archives. It helps future travelers…
drewguy likes this.
Old May 21, 2019, 1:22 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by SFO_Runner
There's one in HK in Wan Chai immediately underneath the three Michelin Starred Bo Innovation. Murica!
With really long lines when I passed it last year! (The 5 guys, not Bo)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.