Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Fare Sale : UK to USA from 275 GBP return

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 15, 2019, 4:39 pm
Original Poster

Spotted this on UA whilst checking the status of an upcoming UA flight:

Terms & Conditions:

• Valid for round-trip travel from London Heathrow (LHR), when booked on united.com
  • Booking period: 9 to 21 May 2019
  • Eligible booking class: K
  • Advance Purchase: 14 days before departure
  • Travel period (outbound): 27 October to 12 December 2019, 24 December 2019 to 27 March 2020
  • Minimum stay: Saturday night
  • Maximum stay: 3 months
  • Cancellations: Ticket is non-refundable.
  • Changes: Changes not permitted.
  • Seat availability limited. Subject to change.
Combine this offer with the AmEx travel offers that appear from time to time and I wouldn't be surprised if a someone manages to find ~200 GBP return from LHR. Hope this provides marginal value!

Safe Travels,

James
Old May 15, 2019, 4:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
K class earns only 50% miles and 25-100% PQM silver at 25% up to 100% for 1K.
Old May 15, 2019, 4:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by milepig
Huh?

This is TATL BE and will earn 50% PQM and the regular amount of redeemable miles (5 - 11 / $1, depending upon status).
Old May 15, 2019, 6:38 pm
Original Poster

That's not how earning miles works with flights on UA!

Redeemable miles is based solely on the cost of ticket regardless of fare class. The number of miles earned in this case is a multiple of the dollar cost of the base fare. For instance a General Member will earn 5x base fare cost whereas a 1K will earn 11x base fare cost.

PQMs is more complicated. If the fare is a Basic Economy (regardless of fare code) you'll end up earning 50% PQM. Otherwise, you'll earn a minimum of 100% PQM on the flight. In fact, non-Basic Economy K fares are often the best value for money when it comes to earning PQMs. Last year I flew to SIN from YYZ on a UA K fare and ended up racking up 20,000 PQM on the roundtrip!

-James
Old May 15, 2019, 7:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
This fare level has been around on and off much of this year. It’s called matching the competition aka trying to put Norwegian out of business.
Old May 15, 2019, 9:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by jsloan
Huh?

This is TATL BE and will earn 50% PQM and the regular amount of redeemable miles (5 - 11 / $1, depending upon status).
I pulled this right off the UA earnings Chart. But I was looking at K as a specialty ticket. How can any human being figure this out!

Last edited by milepig; May 15, 2019 at 9:07 pm
Old May 15, 2019, 9:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I pulled this right off the UA earnings Chart. But I was looking at K as a specialty ticket. How can any human being figure this out!
"25%" doesn't appear anywhere on that page. I do agree that the rules are confusing, though -- intentionally so. Airlines are trying to make their programs look as rewarding as possible while delivering as few perks as possible.
ajGoes likes this.
Old May 15, 2019, 9:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by lhrsfo
This fare level has been around on and off much of this year. It’s called matching the competition aka trying to put Norwegian out of business.
This. TATL airfare in Y, especially ex-Europe, has been more or less free for months now.
Old May 16, 2019, 12:26 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by lhrsfo
aka predatory pricing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.