Community
Wiki Posts
Search

US to Asia fares are crazy high now!?

Search this Thread

Old May 11, 2019, 2:28 pm

Originally Posted by welltended

Depart around Oct 1 return around Oct 20.

Thanks
A quick search finds that you can fly Air Canada/United for just over $5000 for those dates. Can fly cheaper via Alaska/Singapore.
Old May 11, 2019, 2:28 pm

Programs: United Premier 1K 1MM; AA Plat Pro; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Platinum; Avis President's Club
I need to go to Singapore in December and prices are $6,500 (but through PEK) and the direct or NRT is $9-$11k. Those fares are high for the early December timeframe. And AA and other carriers offering $4k - $6k fares with better routing etc... Not sure what the deal is.
Old May 11, 2019, 2:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mh3265a
I need to go to Singapore in December and prices are $6,500 (but through PEK) and the direct or NRT is $9-$11k. Those fares are high for the early December timeframe. And AA and other carriers offering $4k - $6k fares with better routing etc... Not sure what the deal is.
The deal is that UA has cancelled all WAS-SIN fares cheaper than a D fare, which is an expensive bucket. They may return; they may not. A quick search suggests that the P and Z fares have been gone for months; they were present one year ago, but were gone by September, if not earlier.

Flying from BWI, PHL, or EWR will be much cheaper. Even CHO would be much cheaper.
Old May 11, 2019, 2:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by welltended
Hi. Apologies for the noob question. We have not purchased tickets for over a year, last travel was IAD-PEK-NRT-IAD in business last September. Spouse had 2 surgeries and we cancelled a lot of travel. He's better and we are planning an open jaw IAD-(SF or LAX)-SIN and NRT-IAD. The fare on UA is $10K pp. That seems insane. By juggling on Singapore Airlines we may be able to get it for around $8k. But still that's nuts.
Have Asia fares gone up 30% or more? Or are we too early or missing something? Also, trying one way tickets has a huge penalty now?
Thanks.
Because OPM pays these prices? There clearly is a market for these, but they dont need your money to fill the plane. .

If you are actually buying these tickets with your own money, I really dont understand why anyone would pay this for UA J, if QR J is half the price and an infinitely better J experience.
Old May 11, 2019, 3:35 pm

Originally Posted by rankourabu
Because OPM pays these prices? There clearly is a market for these, but they dont need your money to fill the plane. .
https://cpsearch.fas.gsa.gov/cpsearc...r=Search+FY+19

technically OPM wants govt employees to fly Delta

WAS-SIN is awarded to Delta

unrestricted Y = $783 (as long as a Y seat is available, this is available)
capacity-controlled unrestricted Y = $638 (fare buckets may apply)
capacity-controlled unrestricted J = $1732 (fare buckets may apply)
Old May 11, 2019, 3:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by paperwastage
technically OPM
OPM, in this context, is Other People's Money (i.e., business travelers on corporate expense accounts), not the Office of Personnel Management.
SFO777 and drewguy like this.
Old May 11, 2019, 5:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA, AA
Thanks everyone. Snoozed, losed.
Old May 11, 2019, 5:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by mh3265a
Thanks to FT, I am flying to SIN next January for $2K, with a few days of stopover in Europe - SQ J all the way.

My last half dozen trips to Asia (r/t) have all been sub-to-low $2K.
narvik likes this.
Old May 11, 2019, 5:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SFO777
So what? I'm 1K as well and unless it's a screaming deal, I would never fly UA outside of North America. Even then, I would hold my nose.
I'm flying them in PE to europe because I need the PQD as well as PQM. SAS is probably a better product with an equally convenient routing, but getting the PQM without PQD on this trip would probably cost me a status level at the end of the year.
Old May 11, 2019, 6:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
I'm flying them in PE to europe because I need the PQD as well as PQM. SAS is probably a better product with an equally convenient routing, but getting the PQM without PQD on this trip would probably cost me a status level at the end of the year.
So there you go, exactly why the fares are high. UA knows they have some people, who will trade in a superior product, and a lower price for PQD/status.
They can do this because they know while most people will think rationally and fly a superior product at a lower price - there will always be (mostly) OPM who'd rather chase status.

Add to that of course that OPM probably is not actually paying these prices, but gets them at a substantial discount. So every ticket sold at a non-contracted rate is just bonus money for UA.
kokonutz and SFO777 like this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; May 11, 2019 at 8:02 pm Reason: remove vulgar comment
Old May 11, 2019, 6:44 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
So there you go, exactly why the fares are high. UA knows they have some people , who will trade in a superior product, and a lower price for PQD/status.
They can do this because they know while most people will think rationally and fly a superior product at a lower price - there will always be (mostly) OPM who'd rather chase status.
Huh?
Although this hypothesis may be true for some, I think the more common reason people choose United over other airlines is schedule and/or route.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; May 11, 2019 at 8:04 pm Reason: quote updated ro reflect Moderator edit
Old May 11, 2019, 7:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by narvik
Huh?
Although this hypothesis may be true for some, I think the more common reason people choose United over other airlines is schedule and/or route.
Proving rankourabu's point. You neglected to mention price which is largely irrelevant for those flying on OPM, contract rate or not.
Old May 11, 2019, 7:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So there you go, exactly why the fares are high. UA knows they have some people by the balls, who will trade in a superior product, and a lower price for PQD/status.

Add to that of course that OPM probably is not actually paying these prices, but gets them at a substantial discount. So every ticket sold at a non-contracted rate is just bonus money for UA.
In fairness, this is OPM.
Old May 11, 2019, 9:07 pm

Programs: most of them
I guess it's a matter of how much that status is worth to you in the end. I've never traveled enough to play the status game so I either book award flights or look for deals that happen to pop up on premium carriers. It's kind of liberating to not be tied to a particular airline.
Old May 11, 2019, 9:38 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
Proving rankourabu's point.
I will often choose a more expensive, non-stop UA flight over a cheaper alternative that takes much longer, despite that airline possibly offering better service/product.
UA has a very strong network.

You neglected to mention price which is largely irrelevant for those flying on OPM, contract rate or not.
Would be interesting to know (which we never will of course) how many of us who spend OPM actually look at price when making their purchasing decision.
IME it's more people than one might suspect.

Last edited by narvik; May 11, 2019 at 9:43 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.