Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Exit row seating eligibility

Search this Thread

Old May 10, 2019, 5:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, UA Premier Platinum, National Executive
Well, I am guessing United is afraid of similar publicity again. Man forcibly pulled out of his Exit row seat. Though it is the right thing to to.

https://www.cnn.com/2017/04/10/trave...rnd/index.html
Old May 10, 2019, 6:31 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
Originally Posted by DLrunner
Man forcibly pulled out of his Exit row seat.
Wow, that's amazing.
Funny how this wasn't posted before, being that it's a two year old news story.
Kacee likes this.
Old May 10, 2019, 6:55 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Godwin's law for UA -- eventually it will be posted at some point in every UA thread.
Old May 10, 2019, 6:57 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Godwin's law for UA -- eventually it will be posted at some point in every UA thread.
Ha! ^
Aye. The thing is, I've come to expect it in news articles around the web, where ANY story about UA invariably also includes a small picture of Dao with the usual caption: they just can't help themselves.
I thought FT was slightly more immune to this....apparently not.
Old May 11, 2019, 7:31 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, UA Premier Platinum, National Executive
Oh come on.....That was my attempt at being funny. I did not know the Godwin's law, but thought it would be funny if in my scenario above, someone was pulled out of their exit row because they did not meet the criteria.
narvik likes this.
Old May 11, 2019, 11:09 am

Programs: UA MM 1K, AA MM Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
...My experience with foreign OALs has been that they are very serious about this issue and will move people without the ability to speak English (think it was LH) and move people they do not believe are capable of performing the duties that may be required....
I still feel guilty about something I did years ago. EWR-LAX flight, nearly full flight, in the exit row. A passenger sits in the middle seat next to me. I said hello, along with my usual greeting question, "going home or going to work?" It was quickly clear that he didn't speak English (I asked him outright). I flagged down an FA and pointed out that the gentleman next to me did not appear to speak English. She ended up moving him and I got an empty seat next to me.
DLrunner, Boraxo and Aussienarelle like this.
Old May 11, 2019, 11:25 am

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Originally Posted by tarheelnj
I still feel guilty about something I did years ago. EWR-LAX flight, nearly full flight, in the exit row. A passenger sits in the middle seat next to me. I said hello, along with my usual greeting question, "going home or going to work?" It was quickly clear that he didn't speak English (I asked him outright). I flagged down an FA and pointed out that the gentleman next to me did not appear to speak English. She ended up moving him and I got an empty seat next to me.
Bravo. That was brave if you do not normally speak up but safety should be the focus. In the unlikely event of an emergency how would you communicate in the chaos?

I understand the guilt part of moving someone from the exit row but that should have been done by the GA before the pax got on the plane.
ajGoes likes this.
Old May 11, 2019, 11:39 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by CAPT Tee
Once a COPA check-in agent removed me from my exit row seat after she decided my Spanish was not good enough.
Good!
I'm always surprised foreign airlines think it's OK as long as you speak English.
For instance if I'm sitting in the exit of a LH flight...
What good is it if I speak English? The first announcement will be in German and I would have no idea what they're saying until they get around to repeating it.
Old May 11, 2019, 12:15 pm

Originally Posted by chavala
Good!
I'm always surprised foreign airlines think it's OK as long as you speak English.
For instance if I'm sitting in the exit of a LH flight...
What good is it if I speak English? The first announcement will be in German and I would have no idea what they're saying until they get around to repeating it.
Well the pilots communicate with towers in English as it is the international language for flights.

Interestingly when I fly domestically in other countries I am always surprised that the announcements are done in local language and English - without fail. I knew if flights arrived/left from an English speaking country all announcements were at least dual and learned through my travel experiences internal flights also make all announcements in dual language (English being the second language). All FAs were able to speak English.

I have sat in exit rows on OALs and I needed only to be able to speak English (and that is my only language).
Old May 11, 2019, 12:26 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
Well the pilots communicate with towers in English as it is the international language for flights.

Interestingly when I fly domestically in other countries I am always surprised that the announcements are done in local language and English - without fail. I knew if flights arrived/left from an English speaking country all announcements were at least dual and learned through my travel experiences internal flights also make all announcements in dual language (English being the second language). All FAs were able to speak English.

I have sat in exit rows on OALs and I needed only to be able to speak English (and that is my only language).
Yes but my point is the first announcement is not in English. It's in German, Indonesian, Thai, ..whatever. By the time they get to the English version I'm the last person who knows what they're saying.
In an emergency, I would want the person in charge of the exit door to hear the original announcement immediately.
Good for Copa for making them speak fluent Spanish.
Old May 11, 2019, 2:18 pm

Yes but my point is the first announcement is not in English. It's in German, Indonesian, Thai, ..whatever. By the time they get to the English version I'm the last person who knows what they're saying.
In an emergency, I would want the person in charge of the exit door to hear the original announcement immediately.
Well as only an English speaking person I am hoping someone in the exit row can speak English.

Back on topic, hopefully UA is going to enforce language ability and physical mobility at the gate and not wait for the FA to have to sort it out on the plane.
Old May 11, 2019, 3:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I've been surprised to be seated in the exit row on various Asian airlines for exactly this reason. I do make it a point to review the safety card (on any airline, including UA).

For the exit door responsibilities, the flight attendant is going to have to come up and tell people what to do individually, though, or I'm going to have to make my own call, so I guess it's not much of a problem. i.e., I don't expect emergency instructions to come from the overhead speaker. But I still thought it was odd.

^ If that's their policy, I support it; it does seem sensible.
chavala likes this.
Old May 11, 2019, 3:15 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Good!
Originally Posted by jsloan
If that's their policy, I support it; it does seem sensible.
My Spanish is adequate to handle an exit row, which is why I was surprised to be booted. I felt it had more to do with my passport than my Spanish.
Old May 11, 2019, 3:51 pm

Location: What I write is my opinion alone..don't read into it anything not written.
What language are the safety cards written in (multiple, in addition to pictorial instructions. The oone I'm looking at now is in 7 languages)? Another (facetious) question. If there is an overwing evacuation, do we think that a flight attendant is going to come to each exit and give step by step directions as to how to open the door? (Seems that it’d Be far quicker to open it oneself than to give step by step directions.). Thank goodness there are pictures!

Last edited by fastair; May 11, 2019 at 6:30 pm
Old May 11, 2019, 3:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by fastair
If there is an overwing evacuation, do we think that a flight attendant is going to come to each exit and give step by step directions as to how to open the door?
No, but I am expecting to be told "open the door," assuming there is an FA conscious to give such an instruction.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.