Search

FAs doing E to E+ upgrades

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10, 2019, 8:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: United, American, Delta, Hyatt, Hilton, Hertz, Marriott
FAs doing E to E+ upgrades

I haven’t seen it happen before, but on a recent SFO/SIN and SIN/SFO, the flight attendant in my section, E+, moved people from E to E+; it happened as boarding ended and the door closed. They were United employees. Is this practice normal?

I am being selfish here, as I had managed to secure a whole row to myself—until the FA upgrades happened.
am1108 likes this.
Old Apr 10, 2019, 8:24 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
NRSA generally have access to E+, if these were NRSA one would have thought they would have been ticketed in E+.
Old Apr 10, 2019, 8:34 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
Are you sure they didn't pay for the upgrade?
I frequently hear the FA announce that for a surcharge E pax can be moved to E+.
Old Apr 10, 2019, 8:58 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by ContinentalFan
I haven’t seen it happen before, but on a recent SFO/SIN and SIN/SFO, the flight attendant in my section, E+, moved people from E to E+; it happened as boarding ended and the door closed. They were United employees. Is this practice normal?
Employees are entitled to the best available seat after all the upgrades are processed including E+, so employees would already have E+ boarding passes.
Old Apr 10, 2019, 10:01 pm

Programs: UA and SQ; Hilton, Fairmont, Marriott, Rydges Priority
Had this happen a few flights ago on SYD to SFO.
So many got upgraded to E+ that many of us in E had three seats to stretch out on.
Meanwhile those in E+ were cheek by jowl.
Karma!
Old Apr 10, 2019, 10:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: United, American, Delta, Hyatt, Hilton, Hertz, Marriott
Originally Posted by narvik
Are you sure they didn't pay for the upgrade?
I frequently hear the FA announce that for a surcharge E pax can be moved to E+.
No payment. In fact the FA said that “I’ll move you here, so you can stretch out.” The seats showed as unassigned.
Old Apr 10, 2019, 11:06 pm

Many were moved on GUM-HNL to the point .E+ was more crowded than E.

Recently I asked the FA if I could move from my assigned 21A to 20F because a standby passenger got 21B & this would permit 21B to take 21A and me to have an empty 20E next to me. FA said yes. Standby passenger in 20B started yelling at me until the other passengers in my original row came to my defense. United should get a handle on unruly rogue standbys.
ContinentalFan and JMBResona like this.

Last edited by BF263533; Apr 11, 2019 at 1:14 am
Old Apr 11, 2019, 7:51 am

Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
Employees are entitled to the best available seat after all the upgrades are processed including E+, so employees would already have E+ boarding passes.
It's possible standbys were given E- seats early in the boarding process, and after that there were a bunch of no-shows or GA wanted to leave some E+ open for last minute SDC/misconnects or something. Or there were no-shows in E+ but if the flight was close to time GA might have given seats to NRSA and get them on the plane before going through the process of offloading the no-shows in E+

Anyway, NRSA are entitled to E+ so no problem here!
Old Apr 11, 2019, 9:48 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
NRSA may be entitled to E+, but the policy should be to keep a seat blocked adjacent any GS or 1K member to prevent the seat from being occupied unless it's needed due to a full flight or because a revenue passenger buys E+ and that is the only seat(s) remaining to assign.
LimeySD likes this.
Old Apr 11, 2019, 9:51 am

Programs: ua Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver, Hyatt Gold, National Executive, Avis First
I've had FAs move passengers (not employees AFAIK) on fairly empty flights. Most recently, a FA offered a particularly tall passenger to move up to E+, and I think realized when a few people around saw, she told them they could taken an open E+ seat as well.
Old Apr 11, 2019, 10:41 am

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by bocastephen
NRSA may be entitled to E+, but the policy should be to keep a seat blocked adjacent any GS or 1K member to prevent the seat from being occupied unless it's needed due to a full flight or because a revenue passenger buys E+ and that is the only seat(s) remaining to assign.
"Should be" or "is" policy? One of my gripes is that when they clear standbys, they start from the front and work their way back filling empty E+ middle seats while E seats further back are empty. I've watched this happen many times when I think I'm going to have a sweet open middle seat flight and then don't. I'd love to see this as a perk for 1K/GS.
bocastephen likes this.
Old Apr 11, 2019, 10:48 am

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by RockinRon
"Should be" or "is" policy? One of my gripes is that when they clear standbys, they start from the front and work their way back filling empty E+ middle seats while E seats further back are empty. I've watched this happen many times when I think I'm going to have a sweet open middle seat flight and then don't. I'd love to see this as a perk for 1K/GS.
Are you sure the flight wasn't full? I can understand the procedure they use if they know they have a full flight. Why not put those highest on the standby list in E+ in those cases?
Old Apr 11, 2019, 10:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RockinRon
"Should be" or "is" policy?
"Should be." There is no such policy currently.
Old Apr 11, 2019, 10:51 am

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by JimInOhio
Are you sure the flight wasn't full? I can understand the procedure they use if they know they have a full flight. Why not put those highest on the standby list in E+ in those cases?
Pretty sure they were not full but after the seat gets taken, my interest in how things fare further back diminishes. I'll be more vigilant in the future to see if that is actually the case.
Old Apr 11, 2019, 10:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by bocastephen
Are you suggesting there is a seat blocking policy for higher elites, or there should be? If the former, can you direct us on here to it?

IIRC, PMUA, way back in the day, maybe even before they allowed people to pay, and when *G, and folks on Y fares also got E+ access at no charge, used to have such a policy. There is a very occasional report of some sort of anecdotal evidence of seat blocking, but nothing has ever been confirmed and likely is a coincidence. LH used to also supposedly block Y seats for *G, though can’t remember.

On the the other hand, I’d guess it’s completely against policy for FAs to move folks without charge from E- to E+, unless there are operational reasons for it. I.e, E- full and assigned E- seat is inop, overfull E-, weight and balance, etc. maybe that’s what happened, or maybe theees a less sinister reason. Perhaps these seats were originally assigned to folks who no-showed , and GA let the FA know that there were elites in the back who requested to move up if they became available. Or NRSA. Weight and Balance would unlikely be needed on a wide body, but it’s probably possible.

Also, while OP may be miffed at losing a row to themselves, that’s certainly not an entitlement, either. Disappointing, maybe. My attitude these days is to assume that every seat on every plane these days will be occupied. So while I will try to select a seat where the empty next to me is most likely to be the last to be selected, I always figure it’s a longshot, and expect it will be full by the time the door closes.
trooper likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.