Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Kindness of Elites

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12, 2019, 1:47 pm

Programs: United Gold, Hilton Silver, Hertz President's Circle
A kind gesture toward me was when I got upgraded to a first-class bulkhead seat in an RJ. This was great, but realized that my backpack that I usually stow in front of me wouldn't fit in the overhead. A passenger in one of the single seats on the other side offered to let me stow it under the seat in front of him. That really helped me out, as I wasn't willing to check gate-check my backpack with my work computer. He didn't want to trade seats, but very kindly let me use his under-seat storage.
BlueSky72 and Aussienarelle like this.
Old Apr 13, 2019, 9:13 pm

Programs: Hilton Honors Diamond, National Executive Elite
One of the reasons I like FT so much are the stories of kindness like this. Kudos to each of you for making someone's day with your generosity, especially those in uniform who are away from their families. It's nice to know their "FT family" often steps up to brighten their day. ^
Old Apr 13, 2019, 11:44 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by BBSHOPSINGER
A kind gesture toward me was when I got upgraded to a first-class bulkhead seat in an RJ. This was great, but realized that my backpack that I usually stow in front of me wouldn't fit in the overhead. A passenger in one of the single seats on the other side offered to let me stow it under the seat in front of him. That really helped me out, as I wasn't willing to check gate-check my backpack with my work computer. He didn't want to trade seats, but very kindly let me use his under-seat storage.
Was this out of ATL by chance? Seat 2A? If so, hello again!
DCFlyIAD likes this.
Old Apr 14, 2019, 6:54 am

Programs: United Gold, Hilton Silver, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by bmacke
Was this out of ATL by chance? Seat 2A? If so, hello again!
It wasn't, but it's nice to know there are multiple people willing to be helpful in this way!
Drunkmuppet and Aussienarelle like this.
Old Apr 14, 2019, 7:40 am

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Originally Posted by BBSHOPSINGER
Someone did this for me when my connection was late and I was in 1A and there was no room in the overhead. FA said i had to gate check so i said fine but needed to take out my handbag and laptop (not much left in my carryon after that as it is a very slimline carryon). As I was in 1A she told me I could not have them so I asked if she we was willing to take responsibility for no one stealing my cash, CC and no damage to my laptop. Obviously not! The gentleman in 3A offered to take it under his seat and I offered to swap places but he said it was fine. I greatly appreciated the gesture and would have purchased him a drink but we were in FC.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 6:35 am

Location: Never far from an international airport, unless I'm far from home
Programs: MileagePlus, Hilton Honors, National Emerald Club. Wegmans Shoppers Club.
Originally Posted by Life in coach
One of the reasons I like FT so much are the stories of kindness like this. Kudos to each of you for making someone's day with your generosity, especially those in uniform who are away from their families. It's nice to know their "FT family" often steps up to brighten their day. ^
Off-topic, but always fun to see creative user names on here!
Old Apr 24, 2019, 8:06 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Platinum/*A Gold, UC, IC AMB
As a follow up, I was recently sitting in 10L on a Polaris'd 763 and decided to put that kindness to the test with meal preference. As the FA made her way back to me, I had overheard the previous four orders being for the chicken pesto quinoa over the (cold) chicken salad. When she finally made it to me, the last seat, I also asked for the chicken pesto but added that I would take the chicken salad if someone else really wanted it. Her reaction surprised me in that she, hand to heart said cut loose with a large smile and a sincere "Thank you!" She was worried about running out and upsetting another passenger. My unvoiced sentiment was "Well I'll be damned. A little kindness goes a long way." I was given the chicken pesto...
jsloan likes this.
Old Apr 24, 2019, 8:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by dchambric
I also asked for the chicken pesto but added that I would take the chicken salad if someone else really wanted it. Her reaction surprised me in that she, hand to heart said cut loose with a large smile and a sincere "Thank you!" She was worried about running out and upsetting another passenger. My unvoiced sentiment was "Well I'll be damned. A little kindness goes a long way." I was given the chicken pesto...
That reminds me of a small gesture I made that yielded an upgrade. This was on BA, in the first and business class boarding line for a flight from London to Nairobi. Two African guys were ahead of me. When they reached the gate, the agent said that they would have to go over to the economy boarding line, or wait til all the premium pax had boarded. I said to her "they can go ahead, the plane isn't leaving until we all board anyways". The agent was both shocked and pleased. I guess that most elite pax throw a fit if a couple of eco pax are ahead of them in line, especially if they are black. So when they had passed I handed over my business class BP and was given a First class BP in return!
Old Apr 24, 2019, 2:48 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
Over twenty years ago, my wife and I accidentally showed up for our transcon a day early. When the gate agents realized this, they asked us to sit down and wait, and they'd try to accommodate us. There was some sort of oversold/delay situation (memory of these details is kind of vague), and tons of other pax were getting very angry and testy. We figured, why contribute to the chaos, and just sat there waiting. Just as it looked like we weren't even gonna get on the flight, one of the gate agents came over and handed us boarding passes for seats 1E,F (we had economy tickets) and thanked us for being so patient.
Life in coach likes this.
Old Apr 24, 2019, 3:11 pm

Programs: AA ExecPlat; AF Gold; UA GS; Hyatt L. Globalist; Marriott Plat; Hilton Diamond; National EE
A kind elite is one who stays quiet and doesn't talk up a storm with his or her seatmate, wears a mask when sick, and says please and thank you.
Old Apr 24, 2019, 4:14 pm

Programs: 1K 2.2MM
I once offered my meal choice to the woman next to me on a Koa-Sfo flight when she was insisting to the flght attendant that she was to have her first choice. When the meals came, she said something off note like, "well, too bad for you." I just replied that my mother taught me manners, and to put others before myself, and doing so always allowed me to remember her.

At least it kept her quite for the rest of the
flight.....

Last edited by 1k-all-the-way; Apr 24, 2019 at 5:25 pm
Old Apr 24, 2019, 4:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM
Originally Posted by 1k-all-the-way
I once offered my meal choice to the woman next to me on a Koa-Sfo flight when she was insisting to the flght attendant that she was to have her first choice. When the meals came, she said something off note like, well too bad for you. I just replied that my mother taught me manners, and to put others before myself, and doing so always allowed me to remember her.

At least it kept her quite for the rest of the
flight.....
That was a nice thing you did ...

... for the FA.
1k-all-the-way likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.