Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

MP Booking Engine Insists on Dangerously Tight Connection

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6, 2019, 2:50 pm
Original Poster

I'm looking to fly from SFO to LHR using miles.

At the 30K level for the day I want, it offers me a connection via LAX with a 35 minute connection time to the once a day LAX-LHR flight. From my experience, delays on late afternoon flights from SFO to LAX are very common. So, a pretty good chance of a misconnect and an overnight at LAX.

Why? Anyone who knows what they are doing would never book an unprotected connection like this. There are enough flights from SFO to LAX that they could offer this with a safer connection time.
Old Apr 6, 2019, 2:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BigFlyer
Why? Anyone who knows what they are doing would never book an unprotected connection like this. There are enough flights from SFO to LAX that they could offer this with a safer connection time.
Because it's a legal connection (although, I agree, it'd be silly to book it), and that particular SFO-LAX flight is less loaded. That's it.
nancypants likes this.
Old Apr 6, 2019, 2:56 pm

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
If you are booking with a large enough lead time, when this happened to me I waited for the first (of many) schedule changes and asked them to move me to an earlier domestic flight. In the main I have found CS agents very reasonable on this issue.
jsloan and jjangoo like this.
Old Apr 6, 2019, 2:57 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jsloan
Because it's a legal connection (although, I agree, it'd be silly to book it), and that particular SFO-LAX flight is less loaded. That's it.
The flight immediately before the SFO-LAX flight with the tight connection shows award space available at the same level as the tight connection flight if I search SFO to LAX.
Old Apr 6, 2019, 3:04 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
.... Why? Anyone who knows what they are doing would never book an unprotected connection like this. ...
Not a great choice but as a single ticket, this connection is protected -- UA is obliged to get you to your destination -- in this case it may not be on a UA flight.

....There are enough flights from SFO to LAX that they could offer this with a safer connection time.
That assumes this is how the flights are chosen. In reality, the system has a list of flights award space available and if the connection is legal, it is offered. Computers don't do sensible, they do, what the algorithms allow.

The flight immediately before the SFO-LAX flight with the tight connection shows award space available at the same level as the tight connection flight if I search SFO to LAX.
If it is not offered as an option then book the tighter connection and then call to (in first 24 hours) to change to the earlier connection -- if all UA, the agents can do that, first need to find one willing.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Apr 6, 2019 at 3:07 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Apr 6, 2019, 3:57 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
if all UA, the agents can do that, first need to find one willing.
I assume you mean willing to lose their job by violating policy?

I agree it's a stupid policy, but I would never put someone else in the position of losing their job to make me happy.
Old Apr 6, 2019, 4:14 pm

I'm looking to fly from SFO to LHR using miles.

At the 30K level for the day I want, it offers me a connection via LAX with a 35 minute connection time to the once a day LAX-LHR flight. From my experience, delays on late afternoon flights from SFO to LAX are very common. So, a pretty good chance of a misconnect and an overnight at LAX.

Don't sweat it! All UA flights arrive and depart out of Terminal 7 so it should just be a matter of walking from one gate to the next. In addition, I suspect that the SFO > LAX route is sufficiently padded so that if all goes well in reality you'll have close to an hour to make the connection. As others have pointed out, in the event of an IRROPs UA is on the hook for getting you to LHR on any airline or routing with space in Y. On a given day, there will be 9 flights from LAX to LHR so you should be well covered. If you add in SFO, ORD and EWR as potential connection points that number jumps into dozens of flights. At the same time, since this is an inter-continental journey, UA is obliged to give you a hotel, meals, and other benefits in the event should the flight cause a misconnect. Finally, if UA changes your flights in any way, you can always pick up the phone and ask them to switch you for free to the non-stop to LHR (supposing there's space in Y).

Safe Travels,

James
nancypants likes this.
Old Apr 6, 2019, 4:28 pm
Ted

Programs: UA 1P MM, HH G, Marriott G
In any case there will be some sweating involved if his SFO-LAX flight lines up to land on runway 24R (other side of the airport) instead of 25L (United's side of the airport).
Old Apr 6, 2019, 4:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by j2simpso
Don't sweat it! All UA flights arrive and depart out of Terminal 7 so it should just be a matter of walking from one gate to the next.
UA also operates out of the (hidden) Terminal 8. Besides, you're subject to lose your seat if you're not at the gate 30 minutes prior to departure for an international flight -- five minutes after the scheduled arrival, in other words.

In addition, I suspect that the SFO > LAX route is sufficiently padded so that if all goes well in reality you'll have close to an hour to make the connection.
Uh... based on what? SFO gets more delays than just about any other airport in the system, and LAX is well known for having traffic jams on the tarmac while they wait for a gate to clear. Even if you do land 25 minutes early -- possible, but not likely -- you could easily spend 20+ minutes waiting for a gate.

As others have pointed out, in the event of an IRROPs UA is on the hook for getting you to LHR on any airline or routing with space in Y. On a given day, there will be 9 flights from LAX to LHR so you should be well covered.
In theory, sure. In practice, if it's weather related, you're likely to be restricted to UA metal, or -- if you're lucky -- *A flights with available award space. UA is not going to buy a ticket from BA to send someone on an award, especially if that person doesn't have status. (And, yes, I know what it says in the *A handbook. I also know how UA operates).

If you add in SFO, ORD and EWR as potential connection points that number jumps into dozens of flights.
Sure, most of which you will already have missed if you're late for a 5:45 PM nonstop out of LAX. Realistically, your best hope is about an 8 hour delay.

At the same time, since this is an inter-continental journey, UA is obliged to give you a hotel, meals, and other benefits in the event should the flight cause a misconnect.
Not if the delay is uncontrollable (weather), unless OP has Star Alliance Gold status (or were flying in J, but the question is about a Y award).

Finally, if UA changes your flights in any way, you can always pick up the phone and ask them to switch you for free to the non-stop to LHR (supposing there's space in Y).
This is accurate.
nancypants and ajGoes like this.
Old Apr 6, 2019, 4:30 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
I assume you mean willing to lose their job by violating policy?

I agree it's a stupid policy, but I would never put someone else in the position of losing their job to make me happy.
Not a job losing request
There have been reports that a change in the first 24 hours on an all UA itin is a possibility, especially in this case of a tight connection, probably will require a supervisor override. If it does not work out you can cancel, penalty free.

..., I suspect that the SFO > LAX route is sufficiently padded so that if all goes well, in reality, you'll have close to an hour to make the connection. ..
veteran LAX<>SO flyers might disagree with that. In the case of any WX issues (including SFO morning fog), these flights can be delayed.
nancypants and ajGoes like this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Apr 6, 2019 at 5:07 pm
Old Apr 6, 2019, 5:02 pm

UA also operates out of the (hidden) Terminal 8. Besides, you're subject to lose your seat if you're not at the gate 30 minutes prior to departure for an international flight -- five minutes after the scheduled arrival, in other words.
At that point seat selection would be the least of their worries! I still think it's not a bad itinerary especially if booked well enough in advance, you're bound to get a schedule change or award availability opening up in the interim where you'll be able to change it into what you want it to be.

Uh... based on what? SFO gets more delays than just about any other airport in the system, and LAX is well known for having traffic jams on the tarmac while they wait for a gate to clear. Even if you do land 25 minutes early -- possible, but not likely -- you could easily spend 20+ minutes waiting for a gate.
I always thought everything was easy out of SFO and LAX given their lack of weather (i.e. no rain nor snow). Guess I should visit Frisco more often!

In theory, sure. In practice, if it's weather related, you're likely to be restricted to UA metal, or -- if you're lucky -- *A flights with available award space. UA is not going to buy a ticket from BA to send someone on an award, especially if that person doesn't have status. (And, yes, I know what it says in the *A handbook. I also know how UA operates).
The key with UA (and most other *A airlines) is if you don't like the answer you're getting from them, HUCA. Recently I had an AC agent tell me they couldn't put me up in a hotel due to a mis-connect @ YUL. I said fine, walked away and went to the AC lounge, at which point the dragon said yes it is possible Mr. UA Gold but I can't do it for you go to ticketing. I end up going to ticketing and 15 minutes later not only do I get a hotel voucher, but I also get meals comped and $10 airport credit. At the end of the day, the rules are the rules, eventually you'll find a referee that plays by the rulebook.

Not if the delay is uncontrollable (weather), unless OP has Star Alliance Gold status (or were flying in J, but the question is about a Y award).
Could the OP comment on their *A status since that will partly answer the question?

Not a job losing request
There have been reports that a change in the first 24 hours on an all UA itin is a possibility, especially in this case of a tight connection, probably will require a supervisor override. If it does work out you can cancel, penalty free.
This has been my experience as well. Most recently I had a UA award booked SAN > YYZ (via SFO) that I wanted pushed back by 4 hours. Short story long, UA decided to change the first segment so it departed 30 minutes earlier. Called UA telling them I couldn't make the new time since I'd still be at the conference then and requesting to be put on the flight I originally wanted. 20 minutes later my flight was rebooked after the agent got a supervisor to open up award availability to allow the rebooking. I suspect this happens more often than is reported on FT.

veteran LAX<>SFO flyers might disagree with that. In the case of any WX issues (including SFO morning fog), these flights can be delayed.
One could only hope so! In that case, UA will just rebook OP on the non-stop out of SFO. Any small delay out of SFO can easily justify a rebooking on UA, a * partner or OAL given how close it is to MCT as it is.
Old Apr 6, 2019, 5:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Guess I should visit Frisco more often!
There's a Frisco in Texas. There's a Frisco in Colorado. There is no Frisco anywhere else in the U.S.
SFO777, chavala, Repooc17 and 4 others like this.
Old Apr 6, 2019, 5:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

At that point seat selection would be the least of their worries!
Seat selection is extremely important to some people for a 10+ hour flight -- but it's more than that. If the flight is oversold, the passenger can be IDB'ed with no compensation.

I still think it's not a bad itinerary especially if booked well enough in advance, you're bound to get a schedule change or award availability opening up in the interim where you'll be able to change it into what you want it to be.
Likely true provided that it's more than three months out. But not all schedule changes will help -- something that extends the transfer by a few minutes likely won't materially increase the chance of making the flight but also probably won't enable switching to a better connection.

I always thought everything was easy out of SFO and LAX given their lack of weather (i.e. no rain nor snow). Guess I should visit Frisco more often!
SFO frequently has low ceilings due to fog, and that can really, really mess up operations because SFO is scheduled so close to its maximum fair-weather capacity.

The key with UA (and most other *A airlines) is if you don't like the answer you're getting from them, HUCA.
Your options are much more limited as a non-status passenger at an airport, possibly without lounge access, than they are as someone who can wait in the premier CS line, use the premier phone line, and head to the lounge.

I suspect this happens more often than is reported on FT.
I agree; there's no problem at all if the schedule changes. You're replying to a comment where someone suggested that OP call within 24 hours of making the reservation and try to change to the earlier flight without paying a mileage difference.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Apr 6, 2019 at 5:35 pm Reason: repaired quote
Old Apr 6, 2019, 5:32 pm
1P

Location: LAX and LHR. UA lifetime Gold 1.9MM 1K , DL Gold Medallion, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, Avis President's Club
Can't you book it as a multi-city and get the kind of connection you want? Even using miles...
Old Apr 6, 2019, 5:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 1P
Can't you book it as a multi-city and get the kind of connection you want? Even using miles...
You probably could, but the price would be an extra 10K miles; as soon as you start using multi-city search, UA will price the ticket end-on-end.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.