Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

New F seat descriptors? Soon for GS preselection only? IT error?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New F seat descriptors? Soon for GS preselection only? IT error?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28, 2019, 4:35 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Not sure why rows 1 and 2 would be deemed to have more privacy or comfort, unless being further away from Y and the plebes is the reasoning...
Old Mar 28, 2019, 5:37 pm

Originally Posted by United747
I think it’s row 1&2 on all aircraft that are labeled like that. My guess is it has to do with the old GF 777s
That explains it - maybe a bug applied them to the other seat maps. The labels make sense for that.
Old Mar 28, 2019, 6:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K
Yeah, it's plausible it's a by-product of UA's handling of remaining GF cabins. Very plausible that UA IT's fix of 772 GF cabin affects all 1, 2 rows of entire fleet. I'm serious.
Air Houston likes this.
Old Mar 28, 2019, 6:15 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
Yeah, it's plausible it's a by-product of UA's handling of remaining GF cabins. Very plausible that UA IT's fix of 772 GF cabin affects all 1, 2 rows of entire fleet..
Not seeing this on ALL seatmaps, but it does seem to be impacting several.
But agree this is the most likely explanation.
Old Mar 28, 2019, 7:41 pm

Programs: LH HON, QF CL, SQ TPPS, AF Plat, VS Gold, VA Plat, EK Gold, HH Diamond, WoH Globalist, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by cerealmarketer
Doesn't Lufthansa group do this for some seats - only for HON in advance. Maybe they compared notes.
LH blocks row 1 on European flights for both SEN and HON. To my knowledge no seats are blocked just for HON.

This is fairly common with airlines around the world. QF blocks for status customers in Business, JL blocks for status and full-fare F class customers in First, etc.
Old Mar 29, 2019, 7:16 am
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Found the same descriptor on 737-800, 757-200 (PMCO with 4 rows), A320, and 737-900. Definitely an IT bug specific to flights that are marked with first class (well, technically business class heading up to Canada, but still), since if you block 2 rows on these planes, especially A320, you are blocking more than half of the first class cabin (well, before the refit). Did not appear on 787-10.
Old Mar 30, 2019, 10:05 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
The only reports so far are from those who have elite status. Curious if anyone has NOT been able to selct these seats?
Old Mar 30, 2019, 1:27 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by chavala
The only reports so far are from those who have elite status. Curious if anyone has NOT been able to selct these seats?
Just did a dummy booking whilst not logged in, and was able to select both row 1 and 2 during the booking process. It did NOT include the additional text during selection, so it may be different if trying to select post-booking.
Old Mar 30, 2019, 2:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
Originally Posted by docbert
Just did a dummy booking whilst not logged in, and was able to select both row 1 and 2 during the booking process. It did NOT include the additional text during selection, so it may be different if trying to select post-booking.
The tags don't appear for anyone in pre-booking, only post-booking. I've tried several bookings (without "purchase") and all don't give the descriptors.

-RM
Old Mar 30, 2019, 10:55 pm
formerly 1984SW

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by ContinentalFan
I‘m with you: I always pick the back row. There’s nobody behind me to grab the seat as they get up
Except on the 737 Max 9 -- no bulkhead behind the last row on the right (EF) side, and yes, the passengers in the first row of Y *do* grab your seat as they get up.
Old Mar 31, 2019, 12:36 pm

Programs: AA Plat
Originally Posted by PTahCha
Found the same descriptor on 737-800, 757-200 (PMCO with 4 rows), A320, and 737-900. Definitely an IT bug specific to flights that are marked with first class (well, technically business class heading up to Canada, but still), since if you block 2 rows on these planes, especially A320, you are blocking more than half of the first class cabin (well, before the refit). Did not appear on 787-10.
Any A319s affected? LOL
Old Mar 31, 2019, 12:45 pm

Programs: UA Global Services, HH Diamond
As a GS, I hate row 1 on any plane without lie flat seats. There's limited legroom, limited foot storage, and often little or no overhead space with first aid / FA stuff / or bedding supplies taking up space.
Old Apr 7, 2019, 11:00 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Went to check my seats on an upcoming LAX-EWR-TLV-EWR-SFO flight, all in paid business.

On both the LAX-EWR and EWR-SFO legs it's showing a "From $xxx" price against Business :

From $208 for the outgoing, From $149 for the return.

None of the seats (including rows 1 and 2) show a different description, and none seem to actually want to charge me to select them.

The EWR-TLV-EWR legs don't show any price.

No idea if this is related to the above, or just another general IT error...
Old Apr 7, 2019, 11:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Weatherboy
As a GS, I hate row 1 on any plane without lie flat seats. There's limited legroom, limited foot storage, and often little or no overhead space with first aid / FA stuff / or bedding supplies taking up space.
Well, except the 753. Legroom and under-closet storage galore at 1AB. As for overhead, since 2nd door is usually used, location of overhead-stored bag less important.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.