Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Why is there such as disconnect between PL and Polaris in-flight?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why is there such as disconnect between PL and Polaris in-flight?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24, 2019, 3:21 am

Originally Posted by dilanesp
This is purely a guess, but I suspect there are a not insignificant number of passengers out there who prefer flying US carriers, and that US carriers exploit that by charging a premium in some situations.
I always fly a foreign partner over United. Was going to try Polaris but I will do another airline.
Old Mar 24, 2019, 4:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Sleep is obviously the number one consideration on overnight flights, but is not very relevant for most people on day flights and the service should reflect this distinction.

My regular flight is ex-SFO at 7:35pm (3:35 am in my destination, LHR). The whole dinner performance takes 2.5 hours usually. It gets in the way of sleep. Likewise, they wake you up 1.5 hours before landing (4am SFO time) by turning the lights on and clattering the carts. So that turns 10 hours of available sleep time to only 6, which is not enough.

By contrast, the return is a day flight, departing LHR around noon and arriving around 3pm. Most people will have a long nap (say 2-3 hours) but are otherwise awake for the rest of the flight. This is where you want the long lunch service, the extended pre-arrival meal service etc.

They simply don't take into account the requirements of their customers.
Old Mar 24, 2019, 4:17 am

Programs: UA GS 2.2MM / UC / AS Gold 75K / Bonvoy Plat / Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by fumje
Why is there this idea that *A partners are telling UA what to do with their J lounge? Does this actually happen?
Yes - not to a level of minute detail, but it is discussed as part of the contract negotiation around lounge reimbursement fee. It’s the reason the HNL UC lunch spread is more elaborate than other UCs — ANA required a certain food standard for their NRT/HND flights before agreeing to the rate.
Old Mar 24, 2019, 4:52 am

Programs: UA MM 1K, AA MM Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
Originally Posted by truncated
EWR-HKG is still a 772 but switching to 77W on 3/30
After years on this flight in 8E on the 772, it's going to feel strange to experience a different seat config - not complaining, just experiencing a brief nostalgic twinge for a hard/soft product combo I got very used to for 16 hours.
Old Mar 24, 2019, 5:07 am

Originally Posted by tarheelnj
After years on this flight in 8E on the 772, it's going to feel strange to experience a different seat config - not complaining, just experiencing a brief nostalgic twinge for a hard/soft product combo I got very used to for 16 hours.
Once you experience 9A or 9L, you'll never want to go back to 8E.
Enjoy the ride...
EWR764 likes this.
Old Mar 24, 2019, 6:08 am

Programs: United Silver, Hyatt, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Amex Plat, Global Entry
Originally Posted by truncated
EWR-HKG is still a 772 but switching to 77W on 3/30
It must be as Im only a few days later in a 1-2-1 config
pamdrew likes this.
Old Mar 24, 2019, 6:12 am

Programs: United Silver, Hyatt, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Amex Plat, Global Entry
Originally Posted by Intl359Widget

I’ve flown back and forth between New York and Hong Kong on a glut of carriers but usually take CX and UA whenever schedule allows. It’s hard to believe one only averages four hours of sleep on these ultra long haul flights unless one is crammed in a middle seat.
Its a combination of being a little tall for the sleeper seat and maybe having a glass or 2 more red wine then I should.....even though Im drinking h2o also...

Also end up binge watching shows which I get into..

The thing is that since always land in HKG at 700pm, i don't mind only getting 4 hours sleep...
Old Mar 24, 2019, 8:49 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by greenpau
Yes - not to a level of minute detail, but it is discussed as part of the contract negotiation around lounge reimbursement fee. It’s the reason the HNL UC lunch spread is more elaborate than other UCs — ANA required a certain food standard for their NRT/HND flights before agreeing to the rate.
I hope that's not going to change with NH opening its own lounge for the 380 at HNL.

I'm surprised SQ and BR didn't do a better job negotiating at SFO, because the food options in the Polaris Lounge are pathetic, particularly late at night when the bulk of the BR/SQ pax are there (SQ1, BR17/27).
Originally Posted by elg26
The thing is that since always land in HKG at 700pm, i don't mind only getting 4 hours sleep...
For that reason, I find it a mistake to sleep more than two hours on UA869 SFO-HKG. The more sleep the better on the return.
elg26 likes this.
Old Mar 24, 2019, 9:53 am

Personally, I spend little time in the Polaris lounge because I fly everywhere direct from SFO and don’t get there early enough to focus on it. Sleep is a priority from EWR/IAD and shorter TATL flights, but out of SFO pretty much everything is 10+ - 17h of flying, so the soft product matters much more ... and the cuts are more noticeable. Add on to the fact that 80% of my international flying is on a non-PL suite for the time being, it’s not yet a fully competitive product and the cuts are premature ... but it’s easier for execs to make money in the good times than the bad.
This is my beef - international and domestic - many times just don't have or want to budget the time to have a meal before a flight. A good quality meal option onboard is a time saver. If I want to sleep I can decline it or ask for part.

If the meal is inedible or nonexistent then I have to budget more time on the ground.

Another factor to consider...

A friend worked with Swiss around the late 90s.

Said the catering budget per head for biz class was higher than first because so many first pax decline the service to sleep - while biz class is drinking through more of the flight.

Their theory was biz class folks want to try everything, they're on another's dime. First class tends to have been there done that. Also back then no lie flats in biz.
Old Mar 24, 2019, 10:24 am

Programs: Hyatt GLOB, Marriott Lifetime PLT, UA 1K 1MM.
Originally Posted by cerealmarketer
This is my beef - international and domestic - many times just don't have or want to budget the time to have a meal before a flight. A good quality meal option onboard is a time saver. If I want to sleep I can decline it or ask for part.
i'm in this camp. i am often times in a rush. if i'm paying a premium fare, i'd expect something decent.

and i think i've just accepted that we're not a service economy. especially after living for a while in asia, the contrast is pretty sharp. i think we're capable of great service, but it's definitely in the light of "oh wow, that was different" and it's definitely not the norm. i think the various comments around "if you want good soft product, go fly a JV carrier" pretty much exemplify that. american carriers just aren't interested in service. and seeing as how a lot of people aren't interested in it, i guess i can kind of see why airlines don't invest in it. and i don't say this as a complaint, but more of just as a sad acceptance of where we are. oh well.

Originally Posted by HotelHacker
Let's think about this from another angle.

What would be the ideal business class experience?
tbh, i was actually pretty happy with the late 2017-mid 2018 polaris, or whenever it was shortly after the 77Ws were introduced and people were excited about the new seats. i found the FAs to be pretty happy, the meals were pretty decent, and i, for one, was a happy camper. i didn't have any complaints. if they just didn't mess with that, i would be fine. did it exceed all the other premium carriers out there? no, of course not. but i thought it was still pretty good and worthy of a premium fare. i haven't been on polaris since last december though, so i'm not excited to find out what's changed.
EWR764 likes this.
Old Mar 24, 2019, 11:53 am

Programs: UA, Starwood, Priority Club, Hertz, Starbucks Gold Card
Asian carriers, in general, have trained their customers to accept "NO" and "not possible" as integral parts of their service, something that Americans won't tolerate from their home carriers. There is also the lurking reality of the FFP, one of the reasons why FT exists in the first place, which is very much a factor that customers consider when evaluating a service or product (or deciding to click "Purchase"). Considering that UA is massively expanding J cabins fleet-wide, perhaps U.S. carriers, as a whole, are the ones that have done serious homework and understand what their customers really want.

Last edited by sinoflyer; Mar 24, 2019 at 11:58 am Reason: parenthetical
Old Mar 24, 2019, 12:08 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
It’s the reason the HNL UC lunch spread is more elaborate than other UCs — ANA required a certain food standard for their NRT/HND flights before agreeing to the rate.
Considering I've been in the HNL UC at least 200 times at lunch periods I've never considered the chips and salsa and pretzels to be much more elaborate than other UC's. Heck, the LAX club I was at last week had a far better spread than I've ever seen at HNL.
Miggles likes this.
Old Mar 24, 2019, 12:15 pm

Programs: UA GS
I don’t understand why people rave about the UA biz class seats. The few real Polaris seats are only slightly better than the torture ExCO seats and the exUA are in between as long as you are not in the middle 4

this is of course from the point of view of a 6’6” guy.

The downgrade in meals is just disappointing because they don’t match the hype. But frequently running out of wine, bear, or champagne is even more disappointing.
At 10k for a TATL at the moment it definitely sucks.
Old Mar 24, 2019, 12:25 pm

Programs: CoUniHound 1K 1MM, AA EXP 2MM, DL Plat, Marriott Lifetime Titanium

I really wish the *A partners would exert some influence to improve the arrival PL access issue. Flew in on a partner - no shower for you, buddy!
Old Mar 24, 2019, 1:45 pm

Programs: UA1k 3MM, AA Plt, peasant on everybody else, elite something or other at a bunch of hotels.
Originally Posted by Plane-is-home
I don’t understand why people rave about the UA biz class seats. The few real Polaris seats are only slightly better than the torture ExCO seats and the exUA are in between as long as you are not in the middle 4
For me, it's because of the padding. I find the padding in UA's long haul premium seats to be best I've experienced compared to many other carriers. It's unfortunate their cabin layouts are subpar from a passenger perspective.

Originally Posted by Plane-is-home
this is of course from the point of view of a 6’6” guy.
At 6'6", I don't think you are going to find a great seat on most long haul business products. Flying is one area where tall people lack an advantage.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.