Community
Wiki Posts
Search

No meal, no upgrade

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23, 2019, 5:24 am

Originally Posted by MrAndy1369
All the reason UA should move to a pre-ordering system like AA and (now) DL does.

UA should also have a chart distributed to FA's, with a list of F passengers who are paid F, CPU'd, and then OP-UP'd at no cost. The FA can then determine how to prioritize meal orders, based on status of payment towards the F cabin and elite status.

IMHO, a fair tiered level would be, for meal priority, from top to bottom:

-Paid F tickets (elites, then non-elites)
-TOD upfares (elites, then non-elites)
-CPU by GS, 1K, other elites
-Non-elite paying passengers who got bumped to F (due to oversales, etc.)
-Employees on free travel

Thoughts? That way, passengers who paid something tangible to get into the F cabin would get prioritized meals, then upgrades/non-elite bumps/employees on free travel gets the remaining choices (or, in this case, nothing). More fair that way, IMHO.

If I'm not mistaken, UA only offers special meals for 2000+ mile flights, so in this case, it wouldn't apply (AUS-EWR is less than 2000 miles).
I don’t like that order

GS should be at top of list no matter what.
GS shouldn’t be asked for a second choice regardless of fate type
Old Mar 23, 2019, 6:05 am

Programs: UA 1K/*G, Avis Pres, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by jp12687
I don’t like that order

GS should be at top of list no matter what.
GS shouldn’t be asked for a second choice regardless of fate type
and I think people whose names end in Y should always get what they want too. </sarcasm>

The sense of of self entitlement is amazing ....
djmp and ExplorerWannabe like this.
Old Mar 23, 2019, 9:49 am

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM
Originally Posted by lhrsfo
Far better for the GA to call people on the waitlist to the podium and offer them the chance of an upgrade, but potentially without a meal. Then everyone's happy.
agreed, I've had this happen to me and frankly, on a lot of domestic flights with a CPU it is much more about the seat than it is the food, at least for me
Old Mar 23, 2019, 11:02 am

Originally Posted by ACVBear
agreed, I've had this happen to me and frankly, on a lot of domestic flights with a CPU it is much more about the seat than it is the food, at least for me
I fully agree. I was on a flight a couple years ago (IAD-LAS, I think), where I was 1st on the UG list and F still showed as having a seat open. Went up and asked the GA if they could clear me yet, and she said the seat wasn't actually available and F was full. Fine, no bother. Boarded the plane fairly late in the process, and I could see the seat remained empty. Told the FA at the door in the cabin that I was 1st on the upgrade list and could I have that seat if the passenger didn't actually board. She said that it wasn't taken, but they were going to go empty as they were a meal short. I promised I wouldn't ask for a meal -- just wanted the space. She said she couldn't, so I went and took my seat. A couple minutes later she came back with a new BP and a "just to confirm, you're not going to have a meal up there OK?" I confirmed and happily took my seat. And then wouldn't you know after all was said and done, TWO other passengers passed on the meal, so I had my pick of options.
ExplorerWannabe likes this.
Old Mar 23, 2019, 6:21 pm

Programs: UA 1k MM, AA EXP MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, HHonors Diamond, Avis First (oh boy)
pet peeve #47 of a frequent traveling vegetarian

Originally Posted by mjcecil
Typically, the FA will start at the front of the class and walk back, asking pax, in seat order what their meal option is. At some point, they will run out of allocations for the "better" meal choice, which means that passengers asked about a meal later in the process only have the less-desirable choice or nothing.
On flights when i get upgraded inside the 24 hour window, it's not normally possible to request a special meal. So when i board the plane i ask the FA to please hold aside the vegetarian option as I don't eat meat. Nice ones will accommodate this regardless of where i am seated in first/business. Not so nice ones say "we have a process, and if it's gone before we get to your seat there's nothing i can do about that."

I won't get into the actual human psychological preference argument with a flight attendant, and that by asking "what would you prefer" to a customer does not give complete information - i.e., if they asked "would you be ok with either meal, as we have a limited # of the vegetarian options?" then they could still work their "process" but not give away a meal to someone who is ambivalent to either meal...
Old Mar 24, 2019, 12:08 am

Originally Posted by feobrien
I think GS should always be first to order regardless of how they got to first (paid, upgrade, etc.). Overall they are the big spenders and important to UA.
I disagree. Most of the GS's aren't paying for their flights. They are on business and their employer pays the bill. Even if it is a private businessman with his own business and it comes out of the passenger's pocket, it is a business expense, and it is under different tax policies and is required for the person to create profit for the business. The airfare in essence comes out of the cost of his services to his customer.

I have been 1K several years. I travel a lot as a retired person. I had over $30,000 PQD in 2018. That is hard cash out of my pocket and means much more that I exclusively fly United, even when I could get a lower fare with another carrier.
djmp likes this.
Old Mar 24, 2019, 3:07 am

Programs: UA 1K, BA GGL/CCR, TK Elite Plus, Marriott Gold4Lyfe, HH Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Tesco Blue
It used to be in the FA contract - that they would not upgrade if a meal was not available. This was a long time ago though.
Old Mar 24, 2019, 4:29 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
Originally Posted by SpartyAir
I disagree. Most of the GS's aren't paying for their flights. They are on business and their employer pays the bill. Even if it is a private businessman with his own business and it comes out of the passenger's pocket, it is a business expense, and it is under different tax policies and is required for the person to create profit for the business. The airfare in essence comes out of the cost of his services to his customer.

I have been 1K several years. I travel a lot as a retired person. I had over $30,000 PQD in 2018. That is hard cash out of my pocket and means much more that I exclusively fly United, even when I could get a lower fare with another carrier.
When people agree or disagree with UA policy on such matters, it would be very helpful to specify whether their position is based on (1) what would benefit them the most, (2) what they consider "fair" based on some neutral moral principal, or (3) what would benefit UA the most.
Old Mar 24, 2019, 5:09 pm

Programs: DL, UA
Originally Posted by bocastephen
This was *not* the FA's call to make - and the GA should have told her to buzz off and get out of her business. As noted, the correct approach is to 1. call ops and try to get extra catering if there is time, then 2. visit the upgrades if they have already boarded (or call them up at the gate) and explain the situation and let them choose - if someone declines, offer it to the next person on the list and so on. At the very least they would be offered a snack box or hot item (if over 3hrs) from the back and probably a proactive service voucher.

I hope the OP writes this up with customer service.
Maybe not the FA’s call to make but they are the ones that will get yelled at and/or have to deal with the ticked off customer at 35,000’. “You mean they knew there was no meal and no one told me?” I get what you’re saying but the FA’s get tired of being the target of ire for poor UA management decisions.
Old Mar 24, 2019, 6:56 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by SkyTeem
It used to be in the FA contract - that they would not upgrade if a meal was not available. This was a long time ago though.
Given today's upgrade processes, the presumption for catering should always be the cabin will be fully occupied (while occansionally this does not happen, it is the norm -- domestic and international for UA)..
SkyTeem likes this.
Old Mar 24, 2019, 11:59 pm

Originally Posted by physioprof
When people agree or disagree with UA policy on such matters, it would be very helpful to specify whether their position is based on (1) what would benefit them the most, (2) what they consider "fair" based on some neutral moral principal, or (3) what would benefit UA the most.
Irrelevant. I'm not saying for United to change any policy. The poster I was replying to wanted UA to change a policy. I could come up with a food policy that benefits me the most, but I'm not suggesting UA to change for that.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Mar 25, 2019 at 12:32 am Reason: Discuss the issues, not the poster(s)
Old Mar 25, 2019, 8:43 am

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
This whole discussion gives me some sympathy for the FA and GA who decided to avoid controversy simply by not filling the seats up front. Whatever they do, someone's going to complain. While I would prefer they offer the change with the caveat that J-class food might not be available, I can empathize with the reluctance to put someone up there and fall short on meals in today's environment with social media and people broadcasting their discontent to the entire world.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 3:49 pm

Programs: UA 1k 1.75 MM
You can give me that upgrade on a domestic flight any day. I'm not eating the meals United currently serves.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.