Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Should United Cancel Its Order for 100 – 737 MAX 10s, & Order the A321neo?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Should United Cancel Its Order for 100 – 737 MAX 10s, & Order the A321neo?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12, 2019, 2:31 pm

It's funny how some people think an inch in an economy seat makes it somehow comfortable. Regardless, airlines don't buy aircraft for economy passenger perceived comfort.
jsloan and ExplorerWannabe like this.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 2:33 pm

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
However, if you're driving, do you prefer Boeing? In fact, do you have pilot experience in Airbus planes?
My favorite airliners to pilot were the DC8 and 757.

Of my six airlines, UAL is the only one that has operated an Airbus fleet. I picked the 737 over the A320 based on seniority, fleet size, and the types of trips each fleet flew. There are many ergonomic advantages to the Airbus flight deck, and the economy passenger seats are more comfortable to me, but I like my layovers in places like Aruba, San Juan, Costa Rica, etc.

Renaissance Island, Aruba
steve64 likes this.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 2:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JimInOhio
With PE, those who are paying for it are getting far more than a wider seat and hence they are paying probably 2X for that "cabin". If it was just a wider seat, it wouldn't be priced anywhere near what airlines are pricing it now. Also, UA and others are getting a lot of revenue just from selling more legroom. That's a testament that people ARE willing to pay for more comfort.
You're indirectly making my point for me. There is a much smaller market for width than there is for seat pitch.
ExplorerWannabe likes this.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 3:22 pm

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by jsloan
You're indirectly making my point for me. There is a much smaller market for width than there is for seat pitch.
There's no way to compare them since there isn't an option for a non-premium cabin with wider seats. PE is not that. What we know is people are willing to pay for more comfort.

Actually, there is a test... Europe. They sell plenty of seats as "business" where they block the center seat. They get more money for it than UA and others charge for extra legroom.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 3:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There's no way to compare them since there isn't an option for a non-premium cabin with wider seats. PE is not that. What we know is people are willing to pay for more comfort.

Actually, there is a test... Europe. They sell plenty of seats as "business" where they block the center seat. They get more money for it than UA and others charge for extra legroom.

So, PE is a premium cabin but Euro-Biz isn't? Considering what's included in each fare, that makes no sense at all.

If there were a market for wider seats, airlines would offer wider seats. With only one exception I can think of (JAL vs. ANA), the airlines that have tried to resist the narrowing trend have found that they cannot charge a price premium.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 3:51 pm

Originally Posted by Newman55
It's funny how some people think an inch in an economy seat makes it somehow comfortable. Regardless, airlines don't buy aircraft for economy passenger perceived comfort.
An extra inch wide does make a difference to a lot of people, even if they aren't larger.

In the age of immediate information and reviews (Yelp, TripAdvisor, etc), future airline customers will make decisions based on all of this compiled data. The airlines and planemakers choosing narrower seats will ultimately be affected by this decision process. They can try to obfuscate the information but real data from consumers will find a way.
DenverBrian likes this.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 3:58 pm

Originally Posted by atword
An extra inch wide does make a difference to a lot of people, even if they aren't larger.

In the age of immediate information and reviews (Yelp, TripAdvisor, etc), future airline customers will make decisions based on all of this compiled data. The airlines and planemakers choosing narrower seats will ultimately be affected by this decision process. They can try to obfuscate the information but real data from consumers will find a way.
If economy passengers were actually booking away from the 737 in favor of the 320, then the airlines would know about it and buy aircraft accordingly. They don’t because most passengers don’t notice.

I’ve never noticed the inch (or less) on the 320 in economy. People’s perception of a flight is a lot more affected by other factors like service, on-time arrival, their neighbors, cabin temperature.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 4:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You would have written the same thing 10 years ago, and then again 5 years ago. Yelp was founded in 2004; TripAdvisor was founded in 2000. SeatGuru was founded in 2001.

The simple fact is, people will say that they care about many things, and at the end of the day, they will choose the cheapest option.
artvandalay likes this.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 4:03 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
I wish it worked this way because airlines would be incentivized to sell seats that way but the reality is that we've migrated the opposite direction because that's what the sales numbers tell the airlines. People will tell pollsters a number of things, say whatever they want on Internet bulletin boards, etc. but at the end of the day, the numbers the airlines care about are ticket sales and the data currently tell them to cram coach riders in as tight as they can. I'm sure we'll see different approaches when the sales numbers tell them to change.
jsloan and atword like this.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 4:07 pm

If economy passengers were actually booking away from the 737 in favor of the 320, then the airlines would know about it and buy aircraft accordingly. They don’t because most passengers don’t notice.

I’ve never noticed the inch (or less) on the 320 in economy. People’s perception of a flight is a lot more affected by other factors like service, on-time arrival, their neighbors, cabin temperature.
I really think it's great that you don't notice. Ultimately our opinions won't matter. Data will continue drive everything in the future and it will become more refined. From airlines making decisions on what aircraft to buy and how many seats to install, to their future customers also utilizing customer-generated data to make informed buying decisions based on seat experience. There are physical differences between the B737 and A320 series, just as there are differences in seats between airlines. In time there will be more information more readily available, to a wider audience.

I think customers may choose an A220 (CS series) seat over a B737 seat if experience reviews were readily available, there was a choice at booking, and an airline were to leverage such reviews.
BF263533 likes this.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 4:13 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cesco.g
The A320 body was "right-sized" by Airbus to allow 6 seats max across for relative comfort. This is much harder to do the wider the aircraft gets, which gets airlines to easier cram in an additional seat - as Boeing and we all learned from carriers turning 787s and 777s into (9-&10-across) sardine cans.
Don't forget that Boeing in the mid 1950s "right-sized" the 707 cabin width that the 737s use. Those 1950s passengers were born in the Great Depression and just were recovering from WW II, where they had food rationing stamps. By the1980s when Airbus set their cabin width we and our parents were quite a bit wider and our grandparents 6 feet under.

Sardine can. I have used that phrase many times here on Flyertalk. The .1 inch is one inch more room and one inch less of your seatmate's body overlapping onto you.
atword likes this.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 4:17 pm

I really think it's great that you don't notice. Ultimately our opinions won't matter. Data will continue drive everything in the future and it will become more refined. From airlines making decisions on what aircraft to buy and how many seats to install, to their future customers also utilizing customer-generated data to make informed buying decisions based on seat experience. There are physical differences between the B737 and A320 series, just as there are differences in seats between airlines. In time there will be more information more readily available, to a wider audience.

I think customers may choose an A220 (CS series) seat over a B737 seat if experience reviews were readily available, there was a choice at booking, and an airline were to leverage such reviews.
You’re right, my personal opinion doesn’t matter because the data the airline has shows that the vast majority of economy passengers don’t care enough about that inch either (probably because they didn’t notice it in the first place).
Old Apr 12, 2019, 4:27 pm

Programs: UA *G 1MM LT United Club & Global Entry
LOL

If it ain’t Boeing, it ain’t going...

SL
Old Apr 12, 2019, 5:28 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
It's funny how some people think an inch in an economy seat makes it somehow comfortable.
In fact, studies show that an extra half-inch of width in economy can make a substantial difference in passenger comfort. Airbus Calls for 18 inch Minimum Seat Width
Originally Posted by jsloan
The simple fact is, people will say that they care about many things, and at the end of the day, they will choose the cheapest option.
I believe you're missing a qualifier there. Some people buy only on price. Many do not. The fact that airlines are able to sell business class and premium economy at a substantial mark-up indicates that many people will, in fact, pay for more space.

And more to the point here, DL's success shows that not caving into the lowest common denominator can in fact produce outsized profits. I would argue that UA and AA have hurt their business and revenues by ignoring passenger comfort (and passengers' corresponding willingness to pay a premium for a better product).
DL provides an even better test case. And JL with its "Sky Wider" economy seats. Both are direct "apple to apple" comparisons.

Last edited by Kacee; Apr 12, 2019 at 5:36 pm
Old Apr 12, 2019, 5:36 pm

Originally Posted by BF263533
Don't forget that Boeing in the mid 1950s "right-sized" the 707 cabin width that the 737s use. Those 1950s passengers were born in the Great Depression and just were recovering from WW II, where they had food rationing stamps. By the1980s when Airbus set their cabin width we and our parents were quite a bit wider and our grandparents 6 feet under.

Sardine can. I have used that phrase many times here on Flyertalk. The .1 inch is one inch more room and one inch less of your seatmate's body overlapping onto you.
I quick search on Wikipedia would show you’re wrong. Boeing sized the 707 fuselage based on the tooling it had. Airbus intentionally settled on a wider fuselage, but that comes with a trade off in efficiency.

To return to an on topic discussion, United had a contract with Boeing and won’t (or can’t) break it unless a Boeing breaches the contract. I’ve seen no suggestion that the MAX grounding breaches the contract. Therefore, United will continue taking delivery of the MAX, which it has determined is economically superior to other comparable products.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.