Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

All electronics turned off for SIN-SFO flight - comments from multiple onboard FTers

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

All electronics turned off for SIN-SFO flight - comments from multiple onboard FTers

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21, 2019, 4:51 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by GBadger
$150 is absolutely too low. Even $500 seems low to me.

As a comparison point, on my recent FRA-SFO flight, I was in PE and one of the oxygen mask panels came down during take off. The crew could not re-stow the masks. Passengers sitting under those masks for the flight were offered $200 vouchers on the spot. They were not really impacted in any way other than they had something dangling over their heads.

IMO, this electrical issue is a much bigger deal...
Originally Posted by lotemblizej
i have gotten more for a broken seat. Once it was $1,000 in vouchers for IAD to MUC for a C seat that was stuck between vertical and horizontal that was, in fact, worse than a Y seat. FA couldn’t move it even for landing. Plane was full so no other seat available. The most miserable flight I ever had and most sleepless overnight one.
Both circumstances cited above were endured for the entire flight. 2 other FTers on the very same flight have reported that the power outage lasted for 3 11 hours, that lights are usually turned off during dinner service anyway, and that galleys had power and lights. IMO, having oxygen masks dangling above my head from FRA-SFO would have been much more of a bother and inconvenience and the broken seat described going from IAD to MUC also well beyond "inconvenience" even if the flight hadn't been a red-eye. 3 11 hours without power on a redeye when most people are sleeping anyway ... more is always better but I'd be happy with the $125 ETC seems a little low but still IMO not as bad as the 2 examples cited above.

EDIT: Apparently misread/misremembered the other 2 accounts so correcting the numbers above and slightly changing my position. Changed indicated in strikeouts and in red.

Last edited by ExplorerWannabe; Mar 22, 2019 at 9:26 am Reason: Error
Old Mar 21, 2019, 6:06 pm

Programs: UA 1K
I have had quite a few TPAC flights with various 'outages' similar those others have reported. I've always accepted whatever compensation was offered.

While I do like watching a movie or such, I'm usually satisfied if the FAs just keep my wine topped off. I can sit, drink, & ponder for half a day easily enough.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 6:42 pm

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
$150 is pathetic for no IFE, no power, inop seats in J. I'd definitely expect $500+.

Originally Posted by ExplorerWannabe
Both circumstances cited above were endured for the entire flight. 2 other FTers on the very same flight have reported that the power outage lasted for 3 hours...
I believe you've misread this - it was stated by two FT'ers that the power was not turned off until 3 hours into flight. Presumably, there was no power for the remainder of the flight (e.g., KCRYSTAL's statement of flat seat, no power, etc. for 11 hours).
ajGoes and IndyHoosier like this.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 6:56 pm

Originally Posted by gengar
$150 is pathetic for no IFE, no power, inop seats in J. I'd definitely expect $500+.

I believe you've misread this - it was stated by two FT'ers that the power was not turned off until 3 hours into flight. Presumably, there was no power for the remainder of the flight (e.g., KCRYSTAL's statement of flat seat, no power, etc. for 11 hours).
Correct, no power for 11 out of 14 or so hours.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 7:14 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta, AA, Marriott
Originally Posted by davie355

I would agree with this sentiment if Polaris tickets weren’t several thousand dollars.

You cannot accuse a paying customer of being spoiled for wanting the product advertised.
So the option the pilot had was to land somewhere when the power went out and to wait for another plane to replace the first so that you could have "what you paid for" and that might have taken a day or two ---- or he could do what he did and fly you to point B and land you safe and on-time. Had he done the first, you could not have complained about compensation, but for the second you can?
Miggles likes this.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 7:23 pm

Originally Posted by rankourabu
the airline with hard landings, and taxiway near-landings?
Those are short-haul routes, different issue. On long haul routes they settle for tail strikes
nancypants likes this.

Last edited by AltaBound; Mar 23, 2019 at 10:15 pm Reason: correct grammar
Old Mar 21, 2019, 8:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Gadot
So the option the pilot had was to land somewhere when the power went out and to wait for another plane to replace the first so that you could have "what you paid for" and that might have taken a day or two ---- or he could do what he did and fly you to point B and land you safe and on-time. Had he done the first, you could not have complained about compensation, but for the second you can?
The point is that people paid for something and the airline didn't deliver. The economy fare gets you there safely and on time. The business class fare adds comfort to that.

Since they delivered on the "safe and on time" part but not the "comfort" part, I'd say that fair compensation is the fare difference between business and economy for that flight. That's in the $2000-$3500 range.
davie355 and IndyHoosier like this.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 8:10 pm

Programs: UA 1K and Million Miler, *A Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hertz Five Star,
So everyone here is saying that they can’t cross an ocean without IFE? Yes it is inconvenient but I don’t think it is worth more than $150 on ANY ticket price. What is next? Asking for comp when you don’t get TSA precheck?
nancypants likes this.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 8:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Collierkr
So everyone here is saying that they can’t cross an ocean without IFE? Yes it is inconvenient but I don’t think it is worth more than $150 on ANY ticket price. What is next? Asking for comp when you don’t get TSA precheck?
I'd say the the real problem is that the seat doesn't move, making it essentially broken. That is the main difference between business and economy.

If I pay several thousands of dollars extra for something and it doesn't work, I want my several thousand dollars back.
DenverBrian, wrp96 and IndyHoosier like this.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 8:32 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Million Miler, Marriott platinum, lifetime platinum
I received 175 just for having no internet FRA SFO, and approx. the same for having no ability to charge my computer EWR KEF this year as well.
What was offered, IMO, for this, was a joke.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 9:05 pm

Programs: UA 1K and Million Miler, *A Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hertz Five Star,
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
I'd say the the real problem is that the seat doesn't move, making it essentially broken. That is the main difference between business and economy.

If I pay several thousands of dollars extra for something and it doesn't work, I want my several thousand dollars back.
i actually agree that a broken seat, especially one that I fully reclined and then won’t go back, would be a big problem.
DenverBrian likes this.
Old Mar 22, 2019, 5:46 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta, AA, Marriott
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
The point is that people paid for something and the airline didn't deliver. The economy fare gets you there safely and on time. The business class fare adds comfort to that.

Since they delivered on the "safe and on time" part but not the "comfort" part, I'd say that fair compensation is the fare difference between business and economy for that flight. That's in the $2000-$3500 range.
So vegas, I am confused - I must be getting mad cow disease. It would have been ok for them to land and get everybody safe with electronics a day or two later, but since they tried to get everybody home, they were at fault? Does not seem quite fair to me
Old Mar 22, 2019, 5:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by AltaBound
Those are short-haul routes different issue. On long haul routes they settle for tail strikes
Thats true - and dive planes after seeing Venus
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/tired...dive-1.1139316
Old Mar 22, 2019, 6:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So vegas, I am confused - I must be getting mad cow disease. It would have been ok for them to land and get everybody safe with electronics a day or two later, but since they tried to get everybody home, they were at fault? Does not seem quite fair to me
No I think they made the right call by continuing. But that does not mean that they are not liable for failing to deliver the product that was paid for. The fact remains that people paid thousands of dollars extra for something that they did not receive. Again, getting you there safe and sound is covered by the economy fare.

Also, you should get that mad cow disease checked.
Old Mar 22, 2019, 8:41 am

Programs: All of them, UA-Plat, 1MM*G
It's not a matter of fault. It's a matter of getting what you paid for. You pay thousands more for a J seat over a Y seat. If the J seat is defective, you haven't gotten it -- and shouldn't owe the premium paid for it. Let's say you go into a restaurant and order a Waygu steak, but the restaurant is out of Waygu and steak you get served is just a regular sirloin. Both provide similar nourishment (i.e., get you from point A to B safely). But do you pay for the Waygu that you ordered? Or do you ask for the bill to be adjusted to reflect the price for the sirloin that you were served?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.