Wiki Posts
Search

Standby and e+

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8, 2019, 5:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1k
Standby and e+

9.8 times out of 10 on flights sfo/ewr, the stand by folks take middle e+ seats, when there are plenty of middle seats available in regular y. In fact, flying ewr-sfo tonight, and all of the middle e+ filled up and there are windows available in e-. Is this a bunch of silvers flying standby? This seems like an inconvience to a low 1k like me.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 5:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Non-revs? Why do you think employees should be relegated to E-?

Not sure where you get the idea you are owed or promised an empty seat next to you. GG extraseat, if you want one guaranteed. You got the seat you paid for. If you want another one, buy it.

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Mar 8, 2019 at 5:27 pm
Old Mar 8, 2019, 5:29 pm

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
Non-revs? Why do you think employees should be relegated to E-?

The reason is customer centricity.

Employees are no more entitled to E+ than OP is entitled to an empty middle seat.

It comes down to who gets the short end of the stick.
Employee in E+ --> customer gets short end, employees get long end.
Employee in E- --> customer gets long end, employees get short end.

There is no win-win. The airline has to choose one person to please and one person to shaft. OP complains of being shafted. That is a fair complaint because OP is a paying customer.
JMBResona likes this.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 5:30 pm

Likely non-revs. If they are in E+ and BG3 that's usually a good indicator.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 5:34 pm
Original Poster

Makes sense. Didn’t consider nonrevs, but should have. I certainty don’t feel entitled to an empty middle (I’ve probably had 2 empty middles in the last 150k miles between sfo/ewr)... maybe a little tired of no chance of an upgrade & then seeing the amazing perk of an empty middle taken away as we board, while e- has empty non middle seats.

Old Mar 8, 2019, 5:36 pm

Originally Posted by davie355
Employees are no more entitled to E+ than OP is entitled to an empty middle seat.
Pretty sure all of this stuff is pretty clearly spelled out, so employees probably are, by union contract, entitled to E+ on a space-available basis, whereas OP is not, unless they purchased EXTRASEAT, entitled to an empty seat.

It also speaks to the non-customer centricity of western corporations.
I don't think that the U.S. is famous for having extraordinarily lavish benefits for front line employees. Non-rev travel is part of employee compensation at every major airline.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 5:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by davie355
...Employees are no more entitled to E+....
Uh, where do you get that assertion from???? Let’s stick to facts.

Additionally, I’ll provide a simple example for you. 15 NRSAs standing by. 10 E- seats and 5 E+ seats (2 of which next to 1Ks). Are 15 boarded? 13? 10? The answer is 15.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 5:47 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Employees are entitled to what their employer either contracts or chooses to give them.

There is no short end of the stick from a customer perspective. OP failed to purchase the extra seat. It is none of his concern whether UA leaves it empty, sells it at full Y or gives it to an employee.
rmadisonwi and fezzington like this.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 5:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nottarockstar
Makes sense. Didn’t consider nonrevs, but should have. I certainty don’t feel entitled to an empty middle (I’ve probably had 2 empty middles in the last 150k miles between sfo/ewr)... maybe a little tired of no chance of an upgrade & then seeing the amazing perk of an empty middle taken away as we board, while e- has empty non middle seats.

Again, it’s not a “perk”, but it would have been “good luck”.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 5:52 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH

Again, it’s not a “perk”, but it would have been “good luck”.
Ok, got it. Sorry I asked a question.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 5:54 pm

My experience is GAs will usually clear standby passengers in Y from front of cabin to back, regardless of status. The only time E- is filled first is on very lightly loaded flights where a whole row is available, or if 2 are traveling together and the only two seats together are E-. Since it happens literally front to back, I imagine the system preselects the front most seat and the GA just accepts it.

On PS flights, E+ middle may be preferred over E- window due to the meal and drinks.
nottarockstar and sexykitten7 like this.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 6:08 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by prometa
My experience is GAs will usually clear standby passengers in Y from front of cabin to back, regardless of status. The only time E- is filled first is on very lightly loaded flights where a whole row is available, or if 2 are traveling together and the only two seats together are E-. Since it happens literally front to back, I imagine the system preselects the front most seat and the GA just accepts it.

On PS flights, E+ middle may be preferred over E- window due to the meal and drinks.
this was really my question: are the GA’s just going front to back (or the computer)? I can’t imagine all of the standby passengers are paying for e+ at the gate.

Old Mar 8, 2019, 6:13 pm

this was really my question: are the GA’s just going front to back (or the computer)? I can’t imagine all of the standby passengers are paying for e+ at the gate.

If there are lots of empty seats on the flight it is probably not sold out; if it is not sold out and there are stand-bys, those stand-bys are probably non-rev.

The case where a revenue passenger is standing by for a non-full flight, or there is a flight booked full that goes out with lots of empty middles, is rare.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 6:31 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Yes, the seats are really filled front to back. Sometimes, I had an empty seat next to me when I was in the Exit Row, Row 21. It's easy to check that it's done that way if on your next flight you look at the assignments of the standbys.

Sometimes I wish that on the CR2s they would assign the standby seats back to front as they put the standbys in the front and then they ask for volunteers from the front seats to move to the back for weight and balance.
Old Mar 9, 2019, 4:33 am

Programs: AA PPro, TP Gold, UA Silver, Bonvoy/Hilton Gold, Global Entry
Originally Posted by threeoh
Pretty sure all of this stuff is pretty clearly spelled out, so employees probably are, by union contract, entitled to E+ on a space-available basis, whereas OP is not, unless they purchased EXTRASEAT, entitled to an empty seat.

I don't think that the U.S. is famous for having extraordinarily lavish benefits for front line employees. Non-rev travel is part of employee compensation at every major airline.
I can’t imagine ANA will ever block seat 1A for pilots as part of a union contract.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.