Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Interview with Janet Lamkin, UA President of California

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Interview with Janet Lamkin, UA President of California

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7, 2019, 10:42 pm

Programs: The Marina. Comic Relief. UA 1K and 1MM. MacBook Pro.
What about the good old mid-2000's FT flame bait: "Why doesn't UA fly LAX - HKG?"
Old Mar 7, 2019, 10:53 pm

Programs: DL Gold, AS MVPG, Globalist
I’d use a bus OAK-SFO. BART can be pretty rough, especially at night. Earlier this week I was verbally accosted by some dude who was extremely high and wanted to get to a girl who was next to me. She didn’t know him and very clearly wanted to be left alone, so I stayed put and told him to get off the train ( which he eventually did ). But yeah BART can be a pretty unpleasant experience.
seat38a likes this.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 11:59 pm

Programs: UA1k 3MM, AA Plt, peasant on everybody else, elite something or other at a bunch of hotels.
Originally Posted by smxflyer
https://crankyflier.com/2019/03/07/t...of-california/

- want more underserved / unserved markets from LAX
Might I suggest PHL?
Old Mar 8, 2019, 12:04 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM / AA PP, Marriott Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by SFO_Runner
What about the good old mid-2000's FT flame bait: "Why doesn't UA fly LAX - HKG?"
Hmmm don't get the reference, didn't join FT till a few years later... you (they!) may know UA served LAX-HKG for at least a year or two 1999-2001 where flights 1 and 2 went RTW via IAD-LAX-HKG-DEL-LHR-IAD and reverse with 744s all the way. I was working on the ramp at the time and I think they ax'd it not long after 9/11 if my memory serves me correctly.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 12:07 am

Programs: UA Lifetime GS 4mm
Smile

Originally Posted by flyerbaby19
SJC LAX seems like an obvious route
Originally Posted by docbert
There was a time this was the most contested single airline route in the world in terms of number of airlines flying it - including United.

Between a few dropping out (incl UA) and mergers, it's now down to only 4 airlines flying it (AA, AS, DL, WN), which is still a reasonable number, but I personally would love to see it come back on UA if only to increase the number of options for 1-stop connections out of the south bay.
I sat next to UA GM of SJC last fall on SJC-DEN flight, and told him while I fly AS nonstop SJC-LAX, I sometimes still fly SJC-DEN-LAX if my ticket allows sdc and I have extra time
Old Mar 8, 2019, 8:27 am

She keeps talking about how having SFO is such a big advantage for LAX, but why? Wouldn't people much prefer a direct flight from LAX rather than connect?
ContinentalFan likes this.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 10:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by eric.chen3742
She keeps talking about how having SFO is such a big advantage for LAX, but why? Wouldn't people much prefer a direct flight from LAX rather than connect?
They do. That's why LAX folks fly other airlines instead. And those of us who are still with UA get stuck or have to run when connecting thru SFO and its chronic flow control / GDP problems.

David
iapetus likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.