Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United deducted fewer upgrade instruments than needed...advice?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United deducted fewer upgrade instruments than needed...advice?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2019, 11:24 am

Programs: UA 1k, 1MM
I think there have been some good answers already here, but I'll add I've had this happen as well (GPU never deducted). UA will very likely catch this and you risk being downgraded at checkin. I would recommend you call in and have them fix it after a week from booking.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 11:44 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Enjoy the gift and don’t speak too loudly.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 3:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by findark
Generally this will slip by, but there is a corporate audit team that randomly looks at the history of upgraded reservations close to departure and flags ones that lack proper support. Worst case here is you have to deal with the audit flag, which probably looks like having check-in blocked and getting the airport agent to deduct the extra instrument(s). Best case you just got a freebie.

It's pretty YMMV whether you want to try to risk it or call in to get the situation fixed.
Recently I bought PP EWR-FRA which booked into an R fare. A couple of days later I received a call from UA asking how I was "upgrading" my flight since I didn't apply a GPU. The agent immediately realized that whoever flagged my itinerary didn't realize that R was now a paid fare class! So in my case there definitely was some process auditing upgrades.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 7:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by TomMM
Recently I bought PP EWR-FRA which booked into an R fare. A couple of days later I received a call from UA asking how I was "upgrading" my flight since I didn't apply a GPU. The agent immediately realized that whoever flagged my itinerary didn't realize that R was now a paid fare class! So in my case there definitely was some process auditing upgrades.
This is hilarious. UAs incompetence squared

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.