Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Flying UA with crutches

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3, 2019, 7:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
OP lives in California, and they won't do that. I tried when I tore my quad a few years ago.
Who is "they"? My personal experience is from some 20 years ago, but Google search tells me that temporary disabled placards are still available with doctor's "note" (actually, has to fill out a DMV form).

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/de...t_facts/ffvr07

Not that that helps the OP with his trip on United...
ajGoes likes this.
Old Mar 3, 2019, 7:39 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by notquiteaff
Who is "they"?
The RMV. As I recall, I tried twice - once when I tore my quad, and another time when I had knee surgery. They would not accept either condition.
Old Mar 3, 2019, 8:15 pm

Programs: AA, UA lowly commoner
The RMV. As I recall, I tried twice - once when I tore my quad, and another time when I had knee surgery. They would not accept either condition.
Weird. Were you by any chance trying to get a permanent placard instead of a temp one, or did you not submit all the required paperwork? The Cal DMV most certainly does placards, as detailed in the link in post #16 . I got one a few years back when I was on crutches with a broken ankle, and a friend of mine just got one after a knee replacement. Even the DMV wouldn't be sadistic enough not to issue the placards when needed
​​​​​​​
Old Mar 3, 2019, 8:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: 1K 2010, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 & 18, Plat since
Originally Posted by porciuscato
All excellent advice. I've walked from the United gates on one spoke to another at SFO and EWR so many times, I never thought much about how far it actually is. Then I tried it on crutches. I'm a fit (16 min OLH) guy, but that was incredibly miserable. I would not recommend it to anyone.
The obvious question is, how can you fly enough to be GS and do OLH in 16 minutes? I haven't been capable of that since 1978?

I was thinking it likely I'll end up flying into C or D and out of F at ORD. If I take the shuttle, it's not quite so bad, except for the stairs down to the tarmac. I did walk from the Ortho appointment (Kaiser Redwood City) back to my bike shop on El Camino a couple days after the accident, just to prove I could. It was not fun. Of course, it's on Strava. :-) So the wheelchair thing might actually be reasonable. Hate that. Maybe one of those golf cart things instead? Never ever thought I'd be in an airport in either one!

OP lives in California, and they won't do that. I tried when I tore my quad a few years ago.
Not an issue (getting a disabled parking sticker); I take the train & bart to the airport.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Mar 3, 2019 at 8:53 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Mar 3, 2019, 8:37 pm

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
Just takes a little extra time. I flew BOS to NRT once. I had a rollerboard, rucksack and bicycle. Sprained my ankle the day before the flight. Bit of struggle getting from the curb to check with all of that on crutches, but as soon as the staff saw me, they were super helpful.
Mike Jacoubowsky likes this.
Old Mar 3, 2019, 8:57 pm

Programs: UA 1K and Million Miler, *A Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hertz Five Star,
yeh if you are flying and willing to walk through the concourse then you don’t need a handicap pass.

Last edited by Collierkr; Mar 3, 2019 at 8:58 pm Reason: Typo
Old Mar 3, 2019, 9:21 pm

Programs: DYKWIA, But I'm a "Diamond Guest" UA 1K/2MM
Originally Posted by Mike Jacoubowsky
The obvious question is, how can you fly enough to be GS and do OLH in 16 minutes? I haven't been capable of that since 1978?
Not too hard. Lots of hours on hotel exercise bikes; vittoria CS tires & latex tubes; 12 lb road bike, beetroot juice....and about 320 watts.

I did walk from the Ortho appointment (Kaiser Redwood City) back to my bike shop on El Camino a couple days after the accident, just to prove I could. It was not fun. Of course, it's on Strava. :-) So the wheelchair thing might actually be reasonable. Hate that. Maybe one of those golf cart things instead? Never ever thought I'd be in an airport in either one!
Unless your bike shop moved, I'd guess that's about a mile. Wow. Unfortunately, SFO doesn't do golf carts. So it's "the chair" for you!
Old Mar 3, 2019, 10:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: 1K 2010, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 & 18, Plat since
Not too hard. Lots of hours on hotel exercise bikes; vittoria CS tires & latex tubes; 12 lb road bike, beetroot juice....and about 320 watts.

Watts are so yesterday. What's your VAM? Mine's been heading steadily downhill, and the time off the bike isn't kind to my weight. Awesome that you can work the magic on the hotel bikes. I never could. Have not tried beetroot juice, but it could help with my lung issues by making more efficient use of oxygen. Thanks for the reminder.
Unless your bike shop moved, I'd guess that's about a mile. Wow. Unfortunately, SFO doesn't do golf carts. So it's "the chair" for you!
I had a bone marrow biopsy last February that I rode to from the shop, and back. The nurse had a fit. My doctor knew that's what I'd be doing, but she neglected to tell the nurse. Had to leave AMA (against medical advice). If I can do things on my own, I do. No "chair" required at SFO on departure; flight's not until 12:20pm so plenty of time to "walk" from BART to T3. The return will be problematic because I have a Transportation Planning Advisory Committee meeting at 6pm in Redwood City, and my flight arrives SFO 5:06pm. If I wasn't impaired, I'd be able to get to the meeting about 15 minutes late. But on crutches... what's traffic like from SFO to Redwood City on 101? I suspect not fun!
Old Mar 3, 2019, 10:42 pm

Programs: DL , AC, BA, Hhonors Diamond, IH Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Watts are so yesterday. What's your VAM? Mine's been heading steadily downhill, and the time off the bike isn't kind to my weight. Awesome that you can work the magic on the hotel bikes. I never could. Have not tried beetroot juice, but it could help with my lung issues by making more efficient use of oxygen. Thanks for the reminder.
[color=#333333]
I had a bone marrow biopsy last February that I rode to from the shop, and back. The nurse had a fit. My doctor knew that's what I'd be doing, but she neglected to tell the nurse. Had to leave AMA (against medical advice). If I can do things on my own, I do. No "chair" required at SFO on departure; flight's not until 12:20pm so plenty of time to "walk" from BART to T3. The return will be problematic because I have a Transportation Planning Advisory Committee meeting at 6pm in Redwood City, and my flight arrives SFO 5:06pm. If I wasn't impaired, I'd be able to get to the meeting about 15 minutes late. But on crutches... what's traffic like from SFO to Redwood City on 101? I suspect not fun!
Am I correct that you are still resisting the idea that you should get a wheelchair at the airport? It's your life and your body--but you've had multiple people here with this same problem strongly advising you to get a wheelchair. For Pete's sake, it's not a sign of weakness to get a wheelchair when you have a flippin' fractured pelvis! (But it might be a sign of mental weakness NOT to get one!)

Good luck!
Mike Jacoubowsky and ajGoes like this.
Old Mar 4, 2019, 4:54 am

Busted my ankle in Sept while in St Thomas. They picked me up from the curb with a wheelchair, got me through security and to a special handicapped waiting area near the gate. Since the plane didn't have a jetway, they used the lift (normally to bring food up) for me to get to the main door. I was able to get to my seat, crutches in overhead. At ATL, they wheelchaired me to new gate and then in PDX wheelchaired me to my hotel van. My friend loved all the 'benefits' of early boarding etc with me.
Mike Jacoubowsky likes this.
Old Mar 4, 2019, 10:08 am

Programs: UA GS, AA Lifetime Gold, Marriott Titanium
I live in California and my ortho gave me a 6-month disabled parking pass after I had foot surgery 2 years ago.
ajGoes likes this.
Old Mar 4, 2019, 10:10 am

Programs: UA GS, AA Lifetime Gold, Marriott Titanium
I flew to Munich from SFO on crutches 2 years ago - wasn’t fun but manageable and I did it without wheelchair assistance just because I’m stubborn and like being self sufficient. I used an I-walk (peg leg type device) so that I could pull my suitcase in one hand and then carry my crutches in the other.
Old Mar 4, 2019, 4:16 pm

Not an issue (getting a disabled parking sticker); I take the train & bart to the airport.
Will you be in anyone's car at any point? Even if you do not normally drive yourself, a placard is very helpful if you will be in someone else's car as they can then park more conveniently. You can always get it and then not use it; it's harder to use a placard that you do not have.
Old Mar 4, 2019, 6:06 pm

I was thinking it likely I'll end up flying into C or D and out of F at ORD. If I take the shuttle, it's not quite so bad, except for the stairs down to the tarmac
There is no D at O'Hare and there is also no longer an airside shuttle between C and T2

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...rvice-cut.html
Old Mar 5, 2019, 9:11 am

On my flight yesterday, one passenger in F kept her crutches next to her seat during the flight for easy access (she was sitting in the window seat). I don't remember whether they fit in the overhead or not, but I imagine they had to be stowed for take off and landing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.