Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Flying UA with crutches

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3, 2019, 5:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: 1K 2010, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 & 18, Plat since
Flying UA with crutches

I'm new to this game; have never flown injured before. Had a nasty spill on black ice on my bicycle; two small cracks in my pelvis. This happened after I booked my SFO-FSD (via ORD) trip, which I can't skip out on. I already moved myself out of the exit row, and I don't have a mechanism to upgrade the SFO-ORD segment to F (as *G, zero chance of an upgrade).

So what's it like flying with crutches? I can get around OK, but how does it work? Where do the crutches go after you're seated? Sorry for the amazingly dumb questions! It's possible I might be able to get around by using a cane by then. Thanks for any advice!
Old Mar 3, 2019, 5:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
I don't have the best answers (I'm sure others will add), but I have observed pax putting crutches (sometimes with help) into the overhead bin -- they tend to fit on top of suitcases fairly well. If you can't stand without aid, I'm sure an FA will help stow them. You should probably be able to get 7D assigned by calling the accommodations desk if you feel like that seat assignment would be helpful -- they block it for situations like this.

As I'm pretty sure you're already aware (but thought I would flag anyway) you can always change a trip at any time to the current prevailing First fare with no change fee via GG BUYUP.
Mike Jacoubowsky likes this.
Old Mar 3, 2019, 5:35 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
Sorry to hear of your woes.

I flew on a CRJ200 (Air Wisconsin) last week and was quite surprised that someone in need of crutches was able to have them stowed even in that plane.
The FA was most accommodating, and made it as pleasant as possible for the passenger.
I hope you have such a good FA on your flight[s] as I witnessed, and wish you a speedy recovery!!
Old Mar 3, 2019, 5:35 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist | Jumpseat Platinum
Any mainline plane that's not an Airbus will have a closet that they can go in (in fact, crutches and other mobility devices have priority over everything... even crew bags). Most overhead bins can accommodate them if you prefer it closer to your seat for a faster deplaning.

Try a bulkhead seat if you can... extra leg room and less walking (though sometimes missing underseat storage)
Mike Jacoubowsky and findark like this.
Old Mar 3, 2019, 5:59 pm

Programs: UA-G MM, Priority Club Platinum, Avis First, Hertz 5*, Red Lion
Originally Posted by Mike Jacoubowsky
I'm new to this game; have never flown injured before. Had a nasty spill on black ice on my bicycle; two small cracks in my pelvis. This happened after I booked my SFO-FSD (via ORD) trip, which I can't skip out on. I already moved myself out of the exit row, and I don't have a mechanism to upgrade the SFO-ORD segment to F (as *G, zero chance of an upgrade).

So what's it like flying with crutches? I can get around OK, but how does it work? Where do the crutches go after you're seated? Sorry for the amazingly dumb questions! It's possible I might be able to get around by using a cane by then. Thanks for any advice!
I flew for several months like this, with a fractured hip as you. Crutches usually go up in the overhead bin, you will want easy access to them in case you need to use the lav in flight. Bring a pillow or 2 with you for support. Also, make sure you sign up with UA via phone for wheel chair services. It isn't worth your energy schlepping back/forth on crutches, you will be tired enough. Just build in extra check in time to get through security etc. Ask your ortho if it's ok to travel with your condition.
Old Mar 3, 2019, 6:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: 1K 2010, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 & 18, Plat since
Thanks all! I'm normally pretty observant when flying but haven't paid particular attention to people flying injured, other than those needing wheelchairs. Last week I might have been in that category; thankfully I'm improving just a tiny bit day by day. Today is the first day I've been able to put any pressure/stand on my left leg. I'll keep checking on the buy-up offers to see if anything useful pops up. Unfortunately I have direct experience showing the disadvantage of being an elite in that regard; my daughter, a GM, can routinely score a $99 SFO-ORD upgrade. I've not seen anything less than $200.

Funny; I'd not even considered laying the crutches lengthwise in the overhead. So obvious!
Old Mar 3, 2019, 6:09 pm

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Ambassador, Hilton Gold
I second everything prestonh said. I'm on crutches now (for the first time ever) due to a skiing injury and I've flown 4 times since it happened. I've either had the crutches in the overheads or the F closet depending on the plane. If you're on an Airbus, they also fit behind row 3 horizontally (I'm 6'3" and even mine fit) although I'm not sure if they consider that legal, but they FA did it anyway when I was seated in 3B on a recent flight. I've generally found the FA's more than accommodating to fetch my crutches if I need to use the lav inflight. It's been a mixed bag of help getting my carryon out of the bins but I've found in the instances where the FA doesn't help, another pax will help out.

The only other thing I'd add is do not sit in the F bulkhead if you have a leg brace (sounds like you are in Y though so may be irrelevant). My leg is in a brace kept completely strait so I cannot physically fit in the F bulkhead on the 737's without major discomfort, only on Airbus. I've had this situation arise twice since the injury and once the GA was willing to page to see if anyone would switch (I didn't care if it was aisle or window) with me, the other refused to make a page saying it was "against the rules", and that I had to ask onboard. Was a bit anxious as I knew I could not physically fly if I got stuck in the bulkead on that 738 but thankfully FA asked other pax as they got seated if someone would take my bulkead seat.

Last note, again may be irrelevant as you mention flying SFO-ORD, however if you find yourself traveling to EWR while on the crutches, I've had numerous issues with wheelchair service there. All other stations have been great.
Old Mar 3, 2019, 6:10 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by prestonh
I flew for several months like this, with a fractured hip as you. Crutches usually go up in the overhead bin, you will want easy access to them in case you need to use the lav in flight. Bring a pillow or 2 with you for support. Also, make sure you sign up with UA via phone for wheel chair services. It isn't worth your energy schlepping back/forth on crutches, you will be tired enough. Just build in extra check in time to get through security etc. Ask your ortho if it's ok to travel with your condition.
Thanks for your personal observations. I hope I'll be able to get around without a wheelchair. Sitting isn't much of an issue; sleeping, on the other hand, has become hugely difficult. But think you're spot on regarding the pillow, or something similar. Glad I remembered to move myself out of the exit row before all the aisle seats disappeared.
Originally Posted by CruiserCLE
I second everything
Originally Posted by CruiserCLE
prestonh said. I'm on crutches now (for the first time ever) due to a skiing injury and I've flown 4 times since it happened. I've either had the crutches in the overheads or the F closet depending on the plane. If you're on an Airbus, they also fit behind row 3 horizontally (I'm 6'3" and even mine fit) although I'm not sure if they consider that legal, but they FA did it anyway when I was seated in 3B on a recent flight. I've generally found the FA's more than accommodating to fetch my crutches if I need to use the lav inflight. It's been a mixed bag of help getting my carryon out of the bins but I've found in the instances where the FA doesn't help, another pax will help out.

The only other thing I'd add is do not sit in the F bulkhead if you have a leg brace (sounds like you are in Y though so may be irrelevant). My leg is in a brace kept completely strait so I cannot physically fit in the F bulkhead on the 737's without major discomfort, only on Airbus. I've had this situation arise twice since the injury and once the GA was willing to page to see if anyone would switch (I didn't care if it was aisle or window) with me, the other refused to make a page saying it was "against the rules", and that I had to ask onboard. Was a bit anxious as I knew I could not physically fly if I got stuck in the bulkead on that 738 but thankfully FA asked other pax as they got seated if someone would take my bulkead seat.

Last note, again may be irrelevant as you mention flying SFO-ORD, however if you find yourself traveling to EWR while on the crutches, I've had numerous issues with wheelchair service there. All other stations have been great.
More great info, thanks! My leg's not in a brace, so no issue there. I can flex it front/back easily (although I have to do it manually, using my arms to move it around, because for some reason the muscles really don't seem to want to work yet). Any sideways motion and I get a pain running upward that's worse than anything I've experienced before. But I'm really fortunate that the only thing that broke were the two small pelvis fractures. How my femur took the blow and survived, I've no idea.

Last edited by Mike Jacoubowsky; Mar 3, 2019 at 6:16 pm
Old Mar 3, 2019, 6:18 pm

Originally Posted by Mike Jacoubowsky
Thanks for your personal observations. I hope I'll be able to get around without a wheelchair. Sitting isn't much of an issue; sleeping, on the other hand, has become hugely difficult. But think you're spot on regarding the pillow, or something similar. Glad I remembered to move myself out of the exit row before all the aisle seats disappeared.
It's not that you can't get around without the wheelchair, it's that you will be so exhausted from everything else you will want it and need what's left of your energy for getting to/from the airport where you don't have the wheelchair. Why walk 1/2-1mile on crutches on a connecting flight with a carryon bag, then another 1/2 mile to the baggage claim and wait then 1/2 mile to the rental car when wheelchair will do it? That's just plain insanity. I understand your viewpoint, you think you can do it, but you have to take a step back and realize you are about to run a daylong marathon which you will be running on 1 leg without backup and no training.
Mike Jacoubowsky, Katja and Kannai like this.
Old Mar 3, 2019, 6:30 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
I would also recommend the use of wheelchair service BUT allow extra time. It is exhausting to travel airport distances on crutches -- if the wheelchair is late, then the crutches still work as a backup.

Additional the wheelchair folks know where the elevators are and can take you around lines.

A backpack is the best choice luggage -- check anything else.

On the plane -- the FA's will help and take care of the crutches

An air pillow may help

The Disability Desk will help with seating arrangements if you are having problems.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Mar 3, 2019 at 7:31 pm Reason: spelling
Old Mar 3, 2019, 6:36 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
I would also recommend the use of wheel chair serve BUT allow extra time. It is exhausting to travel airport distances on crutches -- if the wheelchair is late, then the crutches still work as a backup.

A backpack is the best choice luggage -- check anything else.

On the plane -- the FA's will help and take care of the crutches

An air pillow may help

The Disability Desk will help with seating arrangements if you are having problems.
Oh, and get your ortho to get you a temp disabled parking pass from your DMV to use on your trip.
Old Mar 3, 2019, 6:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
I’m so sorry for the injury.

My husband was hit by a car last year while traveling, and I had to fly out and bring him back. It was certainly a challenge.

What we found very very helpful was introducing ourselves to the people in the row in front of us. We explained the situation, and we apologized in advance that he would be using that person’s chair to get up.
Old Mar 3, 2019, 6:57 pm

Programs: DYKWIA, But I'm a "Diamond Guest" UA 1K/2MM
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
I would also recommend the use of wheel chair serve BUT allow extra time. It is exhausting to travel airport distances on crutches -- if the wheelchair is late, then the crutches still work as a backup.
Additional the wheelchair folks know were the elevators are and can take you around lines.
All excellent advice. I've walked from the United gates on one spoke to another at SFO and EWR so many times, I never thought much about how far it actually is. Then I tried it on crutches. I'm a fit (16 min OLH) guy, but that was incredibly miserable. I would not recommend it to anyone.
Old Mar 3, 2019, 7:28 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by prestonh
Oh, and get your ortho to get you a temp disabled parking pass from your DMV to use on your trip.
OP lives in California, and they won't do that. I tried when I tore my quad a few years ago.
Old Mar 3, 2019, 7:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
FSD? Don't they have ice and snow there? Be very careful with crutches on slippery ground.

Otherwise, what others said -- use the wheelchair service.

Best wishes for a speedy recovery!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.