FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   Questions Regarding the United Club one-time pass {Archive} (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1956614-questions-regarding-united-club-one-time-pass-archive.html)

muji Jan 5, 2012 10:47 pm

Questions Regarding the United Club one-time pass {Archive}

Received a letter today from Chase/Continental thanking me for having had the OnePass credit card (had it & closed it last year). The letter says "enclosed are your anniversary benefits...when you renew your OnePass card membership..." Enclosed are two "travel discount certificates" as well as two "one-time passes for United Club".

I do not plan on renewing the card (which I actually have already closed months ago). There is nothing on the passes which indicate I need to be a current OnePass cardholder (or need to present my OnePass card along with the passes in order to gain club access).

The passes state: "This pass grants one person one-time access to United Club". If I use the passes would I likely simply hand the club staff the pass - or would they require a check to see if I am a current OnePass cardholder, etc.?

muji Jan 5, 2012 10:47 pm

Questions Regarding the United Club one-time pass {Archive}

Received a letter today from Chase/Continental thanking me for having had the OnePass credit card (had it & closed it last year). The letter says "enclosed are your anniversary benefits...when you renew your OnePass card membership..." Enclosed are two "travel discount certificates" as well as two "one-time passes for United Club".

I do not plan on renewing the card (which I actually have already closed months ago). There is nothing on the passes which indicate I need to be a current OnePass cardholder (or need to present my OnePass card along with the passes in order to gain club access).

The passes state: "This pass grants one person one-time access to United Club". If I use the passes would I likely simply hand the club staff the pass - or would they require a check to see if I am a current OnePass cardholder, etc.?

ckpeter Jan 5, 2012 11:45 pm

Does the passes have your name on it? Do the terms prohibit you from giving the pass to someone else?

If the pass can be a gift, then I don't see how they can enforce the card-holder requirement. In any case, my guess is that you can use them even without the card.

mia Jan 6, 2012 8:09 am

Moderator action

Moved to UA forum because discussion pertains to club admission, the source of the passes is incidental.

muji Jan 6, 2012 8:21 am

Originally Posted by ckpeter (Post 17758308)
Do the passes have your name on it? Do the terms prohibit you from giving the pass to someone else?

They have no names on them (but there is a blank line where you are to fill in the "United Club Guest Name"), so it appears that they can be used by, and even given to, anyone. (They also have a scannable barcode - so I wonder if upon scanning the passes the club staff might then say the passes are invalid since the scan shows that the person does not have a OnePass account.)

I'm wondering if others have received this same letter with its discount offer and these passes.

ckpeter Jan 6, 2012 8:28 am

Originally Posted by muji (Post 17760109)
They have no names on them (but there is a blank line where you are to fill in the "United Club Guest Name"), so it appears that they can be used by, and even given to, anyone. (They also have a scannable barcode - so I wonder if upon scanning the passes the club staff might then say the passes are invalid since the scan shows that the person does not have a OnePass account.)

I'm wondering if others have received this same letter with its discount offer and these passes.

I would highly doubt that the systems are that sophisticated to track whether a pass is linked to an active credit account. It wouldn't make sense for the companies to build a complex system only for a limited-circulation pass that costs them a few dollars.

My suggestion is for you to just fill in your name and go in. If there is any trouble, you can always say that this was a gift.

I will probably be receiving one of those soon. If you have any trouble using them, I would certainly appreciate if you could post back.

danpeake Jan 6, 2012 9:43 am

I got two of these and then cancelled my OnePass card. When I went to a United Club (after the OnePass credit card account had been closed and the cards were destroyed) I handed the club passes to the agent at the door, she had me sign the back, and I was granted access. It was very simple. I think you won't have a problem using them.

bj2757 Jan 6, 2012 10:47 am

I actually received 3 of them - guess they were sticky - for a card I cancelled earlier in the fall. Only got them for me - we also canx Mrs bj2757's card at the same time - guess they figure she's really gone. Our's were the Continental Cards - we still have fairly new United cards (that I wish I didn't have so I could get the even better United card).

filelover Jan 6, 2012 3:23 pm

Got these two. My card is coming to the 1 yr mark (plan on canceling it). Looks like these can be used by anyone.

Originally Posted by muji (Post 17758152)

RNE Jan 6, 2012 4:45 pm

Originally Posted by danpeake (Post 17760671)
I got two of these and then cancelled my OnePass card. When I went to a United Club (after the OnePass credit card account had been closed and the cards were destroyed) I handed the club passes to the agent at the door, she had me sign the back, and I was granted access. It was very simple. I think you won't have a problem using them.

That's good to know, especially because it flies in the face of the T&C (bolding mine).

You will receive two (2) Club passes after account opening and every account anniversary thereafter. Please allow 8 – 10 weeks after account opening for delivery of Club passes. Please allow 2 – 4 weeks from your credit card account anniversary date each year thereafter for delivery. Club passes cannot be shipped to PO Boxes or addresses outside the 50 United States and Washington D.C. To qualify for this bonus offer, your credit card account must be open and not in default at the time of fulfillment. Valid when presented at any United Club location. Each pass is valid for one (1) guest for one (1) visit. United Club representatives will retain this certificate. No cash value. Cannot be replaced if lost or stolen. All United Club membership guidelines apply. Chase is not responsible for offer fulfillment.

I received two cards myself and gave them to my son shortly thereafter, so I don't have them to refer to now, but would someone who still has a card check to see if there is any kind of serial number on it? If not, then I would suppose you're good to go because how else could COdbaUA know a particular card is associated with a closed account and therefore invalid?

okrogius Jan 6, 2012 4:50 pm

Originally Posted by RNE (Post 17763435)
That's good to know, especially because it flies in the face of the T&C (bolding mine).

Fulfillment in your quote can very easily refer to printing/mailing of passes (versus redemption at a club).

RNE Jan 6, 2012 5:11 pm

Originally Posted by okrogius (Post 17763466)
Fulfillment in your quote can very easily refer to printing/mailing of passes (versus redemption at a club).

Perhaps, but it's a stretch and we still need to settle the serial number question. Anyone?

LarkSFO Jan 6, 2012 7:48 pm

I received this mailing today as well - 2 "One-Time Passes" and 2 "Travel Discount Certificates".

One-Time Passes have three different identifiiers on the back.

1) A bar code
2) A number above the bar code (which is the same on both passes)
3) A C00xxxxx number to the left which is different on each card

There are brief T&C's on the back of the card, but none of them refer to whether this card is transferable.

The two discount certificates:

$25 off a flight $175 - $274
$50 off a flight $275 - $399
$100 off a flight $400 or more

Must be a R/T ticket
Must include a Sat night stay, book 14 days in advance
Not valid with W / S / T / L / K or G class fares

I am going to keep this card, by the way, for the time being (along with my MP Visa Signature).

Air Houston Jan 6, 2012 9:37 pm

Most likely the passes are sent out periodically as part of a batch process bulk mailing. If your anniversary is coming up soon and your batch is due to be processed - even if it isnt yet due to be mailed - you might get the mailing for a card that has been cancelled.

ckpeter Jan 6, 2012 10:23 pm

On a side note, can someone post when these passes expire? Is it one year from issue (12 months) or valid until end of next year (2013 for those received in 2012)?

LarkSFO Jan 6, 2012 11:14 pm

Originally Posted by ckpeter (Post 17764883)
On a side note, can someone post when these passes expire? Is it one year from issue (12 months) or valid until end of next year (2013 for those received in 2012)?

Mine expire 12/30/2012.

muji Jan 7, 2012 11:48 am

Originally Posted by LarkSFO (Post 17765018)
Mine expire 12/30/2012.

Mine too.

Originally Posted by RNE (Post 17763435)
You will receive two (2) Club passes after account opening and every account anniversary thereafter. Please allow 8 – 10 weeks after account opening for delivery of Club passes...To qualify for this bonus offer, your credit card account must be open and not in default at the time of fulfillment...

This must be from a different offer/mailing. Mine contained no such stipulations.

Originally Posted by Air Houston (Post 17764738)
Most likely the passes are sent out periodically as part of a batch process bulk mailing. If your anniversary is coming up soon and your batch is due to be processed - even if it isn’t yet due to be mailed - you might get the mailing for a card that has been cancelled.

Good point. I think that’s probably the case.

Originally Posted by LarkSFO (Post 17764283)
There are brief T&C's on the back of the cards, but none of them refer to whether this card is transferable.

So it should be fine for anyone to use the passes without any problems, it seems.

paule123 Jan 7, 2012 12:16 pm

Must be a R/T ticket

You left out one more important restriction - maximum discount of $20 for travel to/from Houston, Cleveland, Newark.

These discount certificates are essentially worthless. I'm cancelling the card.

RNE Jan 7, 2012 2:46 pm

Thank you, LarkSFO. I wonder if the two different C00xxxxx numbers appear identically on each pair of passes. If so, then they're not trackable. If not, they are.

FrequentFlyer9000 Feb 26, 2012 8:42 am

Does anyone know if a valid boarding pass for a United flight is required to access the lounge with these passes, or if you can access the lounge even if you are flying with an entirely different carrier/alliance?

Thanks.

RNE Feb 26, 2012 5:24 pm

Originally Posted by FrequentFlyer9000 (Post 18084391)
Does anyone know if a valid boarding pass for a United flight is required to access the lounge with these passes, or if you can access the lounge even if you are flying with an entirely different carrier/alliance?

It is not required.

TEM3 Feb 28, 2012 12:41 pm

Passes

I usually sell mine on eBay. No problems.

rickyriver Mar 5, 2012 1:43 pm

Originally Posted by RNE (Post 17768114)
Thank you, LarkSFO. I wonder if the two different C00xxxxx numbers appear identically on each pair of passes. If so, then they're not trackable. If not, they are.

it's not identical. They are off by one, e.g. One is C0***123 and the other is C0***124. The numbers of the barcodes are different and not consecutive.

My wife's card is due for renew at the end of March, and I just received hers this morning.

I have a OnePass card too. My was due to renew back in February. I already renewed it as I travel a lot with Continental. However, I didn't receive this letter with United Club Passes and discount coupons. Why was that? Did Chase know I fly with them a lot and for sure I am gonna renew? I use my wife's card to pay for my travel too, so we put about $25K on both cards last year.

I don't know if I can use the discount coupon even if we don't renew her card. Besides of having to travel to/from Houston/Cleveland/Newark, the restrictions also including not valid for Friday or Sunday, and Saturday night stay required. This basically blocks out most of the business travel.

paule123 Mar 5, 2012 2:09 pm

Originally Posted by rickyriver (Post 18139776)
I don't know if I can use the discount coupon even if we don't renew her card. Besides of having to travel to/from Houston/Cleveland/Newark, the restrictions also including not valid for Friday or Sunday, and Saturday night stay required. This basically blocks out most of the business travel.

IIRC, someone here on FT posted new policies that lifted some of those restrictions.

21A Mar 5, 2012 2:12 pm

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9700; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.8+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0.0.706 Mobile Safari/534.8+)

I'd be curious whether GG Checkpoint applies for use of these passes. I doubt it, but you never know...

eknock007 Mar 5, 2012 6:46 pm

Must be a R/T ticket

My wife just used both of her discount certificates for T class fares, $100 off each ticket. United was already the lowest fare and $100 of that is a pretty good deal. Might be a .bomb glitch.

Superguy Mar 5, 2012 7:46 pm

I gave mine to my nonstatus cousins a few weeks ago. They had a long time to wait at IAD (like nearly all day) for a flight to ZRH. They used the passes and camped out all day. Worked great for them.

rickyriver Mar 6, 2012 3:53 pm

Seriously, did you all get the letter?

Aren't those club passes and discount certificates perks you are supposed to get on your anniversary? How come the one who actually passed the anniversary and paid the annual membership fee didn't get it, but the one hasn't reached the anniversary yet and about to cancel the card get it in advance?

Not to mention I am an Premier Platinum elite member, but my wife had 0 miles last year.
:mad:

nwflyboy Mar 17, 2012 6:41 pm

Questions Regarding the United Club one-time pass

Just received my 2 free United Club passes that came as a benefit of getting my MileagePlus Explorer card.

Question: I'm flying on an award ticket soon, used United miles for tickets on Lufthansa. We've got a 6-hour layover in Frankfurt outbound. As best I can tell, United does not have a Club lounge in FRA, but LH has a couple. We have no status.

Any chance we can use these Club passes to get into one of the Lufthansa lounges in FRA?

I suspect the answer is no, but I figured it was worth asking even if it's a long shot.

Thanks.

edcho Mar 17, 2012 6:45 pm

Originally Posted by nwflyboy (Post 18220804)
Just received my 2 free United Club passes that came as a benefit of getting my MileagePlus Explorer card.

Question: I'm flying on an award ticket soon, used United miles for tickets on Lufthansa. We've got a 6-hour layover in Frankfurt outbound. As best I can tell, United does not have a Club lounge in FRA, but LH has a couple. We have no status.

Any chance we can use these Club passes to get into one of the Lufthansa lounges in FRA?

I suspect the answer is no, but I figured it was worth asking even if it's a long shot.

Thanks.

Unfortunately not.

Often1 Mar 17, 2012 6:48 pm

Nope. They are for UC's.

nwflyboy Mar 17, 2012 8:29 pm

Oh well, I figured as much. Thanks.

Strom Mar 17, 2012 9:16 pm

Originally Posted by nwflyboy (Post 18220804)

For a 6-hour layover, I'd figure something out, but LH doesn't sell lounge access.

If you happened to be in the market for a new credit card, you could sign up for an Amex Platinum which gives you membership in Priority Pass Prestige ($399/yr) and has 2 lounges in FRA Terminals 1 and 2D. Annual card fee is $450/year, but you get $200 back in airline fees (which you can get back for purchasing gift certificates), $100 reimbursement for Trusted Traveler, automatic elite status with Hertz, Avis, and National, automatic Starwood Gold Preferred, etc.

Relevant thread: Amex Plat special: 50K points if you spend $3k in first 90 days

The PP lounges are not as nice as LH and you still have to pay $27 per guest, but ... fwiw. Good luck.

webazoid May 7, 2012 10:46 pm

United Club pass from chase: Any use at ICN, BKK, or PEK?

Got United club pass from chase. It's a onetime pass Will there be any use for it on a connecting flight thorugh ICN, BKK, or PEK? It says; 'Valid only in United Clubs. Excludes United arrivals lounge and united international first lounge".

Update 10/25/12:

Here's some FAQ's copy/pasted/modified from various posts in this thread.

Do I need to present my United credit cad with them or not? Or my united FF number?
-- No, just submit the pass at the counter and you are in.

I have two free lounge passes from the credit card. I will be traveling with an 11 year old, but read you have to be 21 to go into the club? Is that true or does one have to be with someone over 21?
--They can go in as long as accompanied by adult. The *may* be required to purchase a separate club pass.

What are the locations of United Clubs internationally:
--gru, sdq, pty, mex, gua, eze, gum, hkg, mel, nrt

Can you enter and leave a lounge as needed?
-Strictly speaking, its a one time pass that you hand over and you will lose priveledges to re-enter once you leave. However, somoe have been able to re-enter on same day after speaking w/ agent and seeing if the agent would let them return.

So I just applied for the MileagePlus Explorer card from Chase. One of the benefits it lists is two Club passes to the United Club lounges. Are these passes valid at Star Alliance business/first class lounges as well?
-- No. They are only valid at United Club locations.

Can you use other star alliance lounges?
--No.

I have two of these passes. I am traveling with my wife and two kids. Could I take my kids (4 and 8) in on these passes, or do they also need their own pass? Thanks
--Strictly speaking 1 pass per person. But YMMV depending on agent letting the kids in for free.

Can I purchase a day pass to the UA club without flying out on UA (or another alliance flight)?
--if you can get to the lounge, then yes

ual744777sta May 8, 2012 12:40 am

Unfortunately your passes will not be valid at those airports.

donho00 May 8, 2012 2:54 am

UA in BKK uses Thai Silk Lounge

superunknown May 8, 2012 8:13 pm

United day pass question regarding minors..

I have some United Day passes that I was hoping to use. \However United never responded to my online inquiry. If I bring my child (age 6) to the club, will they also require a day pass or are minors free?

Thanks!

aacharya May 8, 2012 8:21 pm

By the rules, they need a pass.

In practice, YMMV.

mrosskam May 8, 2012 8:53 pm

I received two United Club passes in the mail with my chase card. I have an upcoming trip to china that connects me in Toronto. Will I be able to use one of the passes at Air Canada's Maple Leaf Club in toronto. Also, in Beijing there is no United Club and so all United customers on first/business class ticket or who are United Club members are directed to the Air China Club, will I be able to use my United Club pass in the Air China Lounge in Beijing?

AirJam389 May 8, 2012 9:44 pm

Originally Posted by mrosskam (Post 18539664)
I received two United Club passes in the mail with my chase card. I have an upcoming trip to china that connects me in Toronto. Will I be able to use one of the passes at Air Canada's Maple Leaf Club in toronto. Also, in Beijing there is no United Club and so all United customers on first/business class ticket or who are United Club members are directed to the Air China Club, will I be able to use my United Club pass in the Air China Lounge in Beijing?

I would not expect to be able to use the passes in anything other than an actual United Club