Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Is it possible to get different fare classes on same itinerary?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is it possible to get different fare classes on same itinerary?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15, 2019, 12:55 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Get a travel agent or call United. You can't do this online.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 1:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Ari
Get a travel agent or call United. You can't do this online.
In the 1% of cases where you actually want to do this, multi-city search will allow it to be done online.

Take, for example, the EWR-TLV / TLV-ZRH-EWR-MIA itinerary described. For dates in March and April, I get $1,462.84 if booked in V on the outbound (which OP said was the lowest available at that time) and W on the return.

If I force a fare break at ZRH, enabling me to up-fare only ZRH-EWR-MIA, the fare jumps to $8,338.84, as Y fares must be used all the way through.

Even if we assume that the agent did something weird and combined fares that can't actually be combined, the ZRH-MIA W fare is more expensive than the TLV-MIA W fare would have been -- it's $1511.93 to fly V on EWR-TLV and W on ZRH-EWR-MIA.

Kleinnaf Did you look at your receipt afterwards? Is it possible that the agent up-fared the entire trip without mentioning it specifically?
Old Feb 15, 2019, 2:02 pm

I have not looked at the receipt in a while
but I do remember that only the zrh-ewr was in W and not EWR-MIA.
The GS desk did have to call the rate desk to make it work. Didn't take long though
Old Feb 15, 2019, 2:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kleinnaf
I have not looked at the receipt in a while
but I do remember that only the zrh-ewr was in W and not EWR-MIA.
The GS desk did have to call the rate desk to make it work. Didn't take long though
That makes even less sense. TLV-MIA W is cheaper than ZRH-MIA W, which itself is cheaper than ZRH-EWR W.

I have no idea what they did to make that price out for you and have it actually be cheaper than W all the way through, but I'm guessing that it wasn't something they'd do for a non-GS member.
Old Feb 18, 2019, 1:10 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jsloan
In the 1% of cases where you actually want to do this, multi-city search will allow it to be done online.

Take, for example, the EWR-TLV / TLV-ZRH-EWR-MIA itinerary described. For dates in March and April, I get $1,462.84 if booked in V on the outbound (which OP said was the lowest available at that time) and W on the return.

If I force a fare break at ZRH, enabling me to up-fare only ZRH-EWR-MIA, the fare jumps to $8,338.84, as Y fares must be used all the way through.

Even if we assume that the agent did something weird and combined fares that can't actually be combined, the ZRH-MIA W fare is more expensive than the TLV-MIA W fare would have been -- it's $1511.93 to fly V on EWR-TLV and W on ZRH-EWR-MIA.

Kleinnaf Did you look at your receipt afterwards? Is it possible that the agent up-fared the entire trip without mentioning it specifically?
You're right. I misread the OP. I thought the OP was trying to do something else which is specify segment by segment.
Old Feb 18, 2019, 2:46 pm

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by jsloan
That makes even less sense. TLV-MIA W is cheaper than ZRH-MIA W, which itself is cheaper than ZRH-EWR W.

I have no idea what they did to make that price out for you and have it actually be cheaper than W all the way through, but I'm guessing that it wasn't something they'd do for a non-GS member.
They probably upfared TLV-EWR, which is cheaper in W class than TLV-MIA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.