Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Edition: Window shades up? Who controls / decides?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA Edition: Window shades up? Who controls / decides?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15, 2019, 7:31 am
Used to be MBS PremExec

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Marriott Titanium w/Lifetime Plat, Hilton LIfetime ♢, National Exec, Amex Plat
I wonder how many of the 'window shades up' people are the same ones that complain about some FAs being too loud in the galley when they do their mid-flight social gigs. Or if I wanted to carry on conversations with my friend who is 3 rows behind me. They do provide earplugs, of course. I get it if everyone (or most) have their shades open, but when, seriously 75%+ of the cabin is trying to sleep, and there's a lone wolf with the shades wide open, while certainly within their right, I believe they are being inconsiderate. There has been more than one flight, while not trying to sleep, that again I could not see my movie screen because of the glare...Again, should I wear these magical, not-yet-invented eyeshades that display United's IFE directly on the eyeballs?
chavala likes this.

Last edited by MBS MillionMiler; Sep 10, 2019 at 11:33 am
Old Feb 15, 2019, 7:48 am

Programs: United 1K MM, Marriott LTPP
I'm pretty sure an FA can "command" someone to close a shade.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 7:53 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by UAinAUS
... so once people fell asleep, there was no leakage of light when the sun rose ...
I forget the route and time of year but I recall one flight where we took off at sunset. Since it was dark out, I (and the FA) forgot about the window shade. The sun rose again about an hour before landing. I recall seeing the fake "sunrise lighting" they use to "wake us" as the actual sun was rising. It was kind of perfect because my eyes GRADUALLY adjusted vs opening the shade for landing and being hit with bright light after adjusting to total darkness for several hours.

Originally Posted by MBS MillionMiler
I wonder how many of the 'window shades up' people are the same ones that complain about some FAs being too loud in the galley when they do their mid-flight social gigs. Or if I wanted to carry on conversations with my friend who is 3 rows behind me. They do provide earplugs, of course.

I get it if everyone (or most) have their shades open, but when, seriously 75%+ of the cabin is trying to sleep, and there's a lone wolf with the shades wide open, while certainly within their right, I believe they are being inconsiderate. There has been more than one flight, while not trying to sleep, that again I could not see my movie screen because of the glare...Again, should I wear these magical, not-yet-invented eyeshades that display United's IFE on the eyes?...
I would think the window shade DOWN people would be the ones complaining in your scenario since I would assume if they aren't willing to use eyeshades, they arent willing to use ear plugs. The window shades UP people seem to be the ones saying that one should use eyeshades, so I would think ear plugs are included.

How do you know 75%+ of the cabin is trying to sleep? do you poll them? do you get up and look? Sometimes, I see people with the reading light reading a book or doing paperwork. Or watching IFE. Some people may not have chosen to close their shade but for the FA's insistence. Some are like you say and are use to sitting in the dark or close their shade if they see 75%+ closed, not because they want to sleep. But I agree, there is no know workaround to enjoy IFE when the sun is shining directly on a screen or in your eyes so that is the only time I think it is acceptable to ask someone to close their window shade. Some people can sleep during the day in direct sun light (like at the beach). Some people (like me) can't sleep even with light from the various buttons and indicators around me so I use an eye shade. You can't please everyone
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 10:17 am

Programs: UA Platinum | Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by AirMiles2001
I'm pretty sure an FA can "command" someone to close a shade.
That would be interesting to know for sure! Even despite my claustrophobia/aerophobia/anxiety requiring me to often have my window shade up, I'm obviously going to consider closing it if there's a shine/glare that would disturb the cabin OR I'm notified that I'm bothering other passengers because of it. That's just out of common decency and respect...

And since there seems to be more unruly/rude passengers by the day, I'd suggest to airlines in general to have a reprimand in order, as a way to keep some form of air-etiquette. I mean, it shouldn't result in a No-Fly list or anything, but should be enough warning to prompt them to not do it again UNLESS there's a valid excuse for it (such as my own personal reasons above).
AirMiles2001 likes this.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 11:08 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by Steve M
Bottom line, it's incredibly selfish. I guarantee that the ocean will still be there in good order, whether the shades are up or down - no need to constantly check throughout the flight.
It's not selfish at all, In fact I think it is selfish that some people think they should be closed.....
Some people like myself pick a window seat to be able to look out. I get very claustrophobic and need to look out when I need to.
SPN Lifer, demkr, eng3 and 2 others like this.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 5:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by daisyatl
So this goes to a question I posted earlier, which clearly was not too engaging as no one responded. You close the shades in order to sleep so maybe others want the shades closed when they sleep. Or maybe they like shades open. Clearly the shades affect more than the person in the window seat, which is why I don't understand the notion that window seat means you get all of the control. I am not trying to argue but it seems to be that there should be some happy medium. Maybe you should have to keep the shades open the whole time because how is fair that you get closed shades to sleep but others don't? If you were to say that you too will sleep with shades open because, you too, can use an eye mask then you are being consistent.
I think the "happy medium" is for the window pax to control the shades... just like the aisle pax has easy access to the aisle and might cause complications if they were to sleep, etc. No, you don't always get the luxury of seat selection, but you just have to deal with your lot. If I end up in an aisle or center block seat, I don't get to look out the window which I normally enjoy. That's life. You're never going to please everyone, but I think it's a pretty reasonable compromise. At least in my flying experience, my use of my own shades has never seemed to be a major issue. On my westbound TATLs, there were usually a few cracked windows here or there for the entire flight, and the overnight flights are dark outside anyway.

Originally Posted by MBS MillionMiler
I wonder how many of the 'window shades up' people are the same ones that complain about some FAs being too loud in the galley when they do their mid-flight social gigs. Or if I wanted to carry on conversations with my friend who is 3 rows behind me. They do provide earplugs, of course.
Short of really outrageous noise, I don't have a problem with these things either - to be honest I'm always surprised that people can hear FAs. I have enough trouble understanding them over the engine drone when they're taking to me

Originally Posted by daisyatl
Real life, egregious experience just this week! Flying from Florida to ORD, last row of F on a 739, in '5E', aisle seat. 5:00PM-ish departure. One above the clouds, there's this giant, bright orange ball in the sky. For over a half-hour, the only shade open letting in the setting sun was, of course, 5A's.

The slightly west flight path means that the winter sun is pointing DIRECTLY into the cabin...And I mean DIRECTLY. For over a half-hour, my seatmate (a stranger) and I literally had to hold our hands up and shield our eyes. The F/A herself saw this and without prompting, very politely asked 5A to lower the shade, even a bit...
In my opinion, when it's an issue of direct sunlight entering the cabin, it's polite to lower the shade to a point where it's not shining on anyone else. You can't really see much staring right at the sun anyway, and the spots of light can be extremely disruptive. I try to pick the shady side of the aircraft for this reason. But if a window pax really wants their shade open, I'm going to shut up and deal with it.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 10:54 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by MrGood
That would be interesting to know for sure! Even despite my claustrophobia/aerophobia/anxiety requiring me to often have my window shade up, I'm obviously going to consider closing it if there's a shine/glare that would disturb the cabin OR I'm notified that I'm bothering other passengers because of it. That's just out of common decency and respect...

And since there seems to be more unruly/rude passengers by the day, I'd suggest to airlines in general to have a reprimand in order, as a way to keep some form of air-etiquette. I mean, it shouldn't result in a No-Fly list or anything, but should be enough warning to prompt them to not do it again UNLESS there's a valid excuse for it (such as my own personal reasons above).
FA's can give orders which are based on published FARs and published airline operating policies. They cannot, for example, order you to stand on your head, take off your clothes, or finish your inflight meal. They cannot make up or invent policies which are not supported by federal regulations or airline policies. Window shade etiquette is most definitely not published in the FAA's FARs, so the only other option is for window shade usage to be defined somewhere in the operating manual, but none of us has a copy of that book to confirm its presence. So while refusing to follow a crew member instruction to lower the window shade could lead to any number of ugly results during the flight, in the end, the lack of a legal or operational basis for the instruction cannot result in any form of legal consequence provided the dispute doesn't escalate into something that would (ie, physical contact, verbal abuse, etc). If the Capt decides to call the police to meet the flight or diverts to offload you because you did nothing more than refuse to lower your window shade, while you could potentially be arrested, the charges are not going to stick or result in a conviction because the instruction had no legal basis....nor is a prosecutor or Admin Law Judge likely to even bother wasting 5 minutes on that kind of topic. United, could, however, decide to ban you, which they have the right to do.
SPN Lifer and MrGood like this.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 11:10 pm

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum; Hyatt Diamond/GLOB
Originally Posted by bocastephen
FA's can give orders which are based on published FARs and published airline operating policies. They cannot, for example, order you to stand on your head, take off your clothes...
Oh man, I wish I had known that before my last flight.

I knew it seemed odd.

I probably should apologize to the older couple sitting across the aisle.
username and ajGoes like this.
Old Feb 16, 2019, 11:56 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by bocastephen
FA's can give orders which are based on published FARs and published airline operating policies. ... They cannot make up or invent policies which are not supported by federal regulations or airline policies. ....
They can BELIEVE that they can. Sometimes belief is all it takes to cause a problem.
SPN Lifer, demkr and chavala like this.
Old Feb 16, 2019, 12:48 pm

Programs: Latam Pass Black; UA 1K, 1MM; Marriott LT
So, based on some responses, FAs can do what they want... if you don't want sun in your eyes, book early and book the window, otherwise, rely on the compassion of your fellow traveler....

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Feb 17, 2019 at 1:56 am Reason: vuglar comment removed
Old Feb 16, 2019, 1:36 pm

Programs: NEXUS, MileagePlus Silver, Frontier Diamond, IHG Spire, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
On Turkish, they actually close everybody's window shades when they make the beds. If somebody opens when the sun is up, they will come over quickly and close it. I appreciate this on their long haul flights.
Old Feb 16, 2019, 8:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by trmbn65
On Turkish, they actually close everybody's window shades when they make the beds. If somebody opens when the sun is up, they will come over quickly and close it. I appreciate this on their long haul flights.
That sounds better than Air France, where they might violently slam the window shade down and stare at you like your kindergarten teacher after you spilled paint on the floor.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 8:54 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
... this guy is staring out that window as if the miracle of aviation was bestowed upon mankind just this morning, ... this dope is gaping at every cloud like he’s the third ... Wright brother
https://local.theonion.com/passenger...956-1832728158

Originally Posted by zigenbock
I get very claustrophobic and need to look out when I need to.
Here is a suggestion from a fellow claustrophobic passenger: DON'T pick the window seat. Being right next to the fuselage, as well has having the overhead bin right above you, makes the claustrophobia worse. Especially on the long-hauls where the sleeping issue is most prevalent, they are most likely to be on twin-aisle aircraft. Pick a seat in the middle section on the aisle, and you'll feel far less cramped, constrained, and anxious than if you sit at the window.
GFrye likes this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jun 22, 2019 at 10:11 am Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Feb 20, 2019, 9:09 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
This is a topic that should be consolidated under "Window Shades UP or DOWN?". With more than 133 replies in this thread in just over a week it's definitely a popular debate, likely because the views are so polar.

The only semi-helpful addition might be a poll, although judging by the likes received in post #2 vs. post #3 it might be clear where the poll results might potentially end up.

Originally Posted by Steve M
Here is a suggestion from a fellow claustrophobic passenger: DON'T pick the window seat.
Not sure that is universally applicable. Pretty sure that's a very individual preference based on many factors, not the least whether the claustrophobia is coupled with some other phobias.
SPN Lifer and MrGood like this.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 9:14 am
Suspended

Window passengers control the shades, aisle passengers control aisle access. Does that sounds like a fair deal?
I mean, if the window-shade-up crowd thinks that "use an eye shade if you don't sit at a window and want darkness" is a valid point, so is "I don't want to get up so you should wear a diaper if you don't sit at the aisle and need to do a #1 or #2 ".

(Apologies to the middle seat crowd who gets screwed twice...)
chavala and MrGood like this.

Last edited by GFrye; Feb 20, 2019 at 10:00 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.