FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   United's Basic Economy - Discussion, Q&A, ... {Archive} (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1955471-uniteds-basic-economy-discussion-q-archive.html)

TCD Nov 15, 2016 9:10 am

Originally Posted by JBord (Post 27483178)
You won't pay if you have status, at least I didn't see that changing. But the waiting for it (and hoping it shows up) is a much bigger deal to me.

Exactly, the bag fare won't cut it when I have status and a credit card. But if I tell her she'll almost certainly be in a middle seat at the back of the plane...

aacharya Nov 15, 2016 9:16 am

I can see the appeal. I was pricing out EWR-AVL - and Allegiant has a direct flight for sub $120. Versus $300 plus on United. If United wants those travelers, they have to do something. (I would rather fly to CLT for $150 and drive than deal with Allegiant, but it's a close call).

villox Nov 15, 2016 9:20 am

My company has contracts with both Delta and United, but I haven't had to concern myself with these fares until now as I always fly UA. So I went looking for comparison to a DL flight in Concur. The Basic Economy (E) fare does not show up in the search.

Example of the difference:
MDW-ATL Dec 10-13
E: $136.20
V: $163.44

IAH-OIL-TRASH Nov 15, 2016 9:22 am

I clicked to the The Hub using the link and the picture shows happy, smiling people in what appears to be E+ seating. Deceptive advertising on both counts.

nycflyer222 Nov 15, 2016 9:28 am

Originally Posted by Duke787 (Post 27482334)
Wonder what will happen if only E+ seats remain.

This will happen frequently. So people booking BE will end up in E+, and people who paid a higher fare will be in E-. Or will UA somehow bump regular Y customers up to E+ and put BE in E-? Who knows...

Additionally, which I've already seen at gates when families book tickets with no advance seat assignments left, they will complain and scream at the gate that they're not together... and other customers will be asked to move. :mad:

ermintrude Nov 15, 2016 9:30 am

Great way to devalue your brand. I'm told this is Scott Kirby's input. I was also sent a good article by Gary Leff (VFTW) which outlines the changes - his take: Basic economy is a way of moving some passengers who buy low fares today to buy more expensive fares instead.

dw Nov 15, 2016 9:32 am

Originally Posted by nycflyer222 (Post 27483291)
Additionally, which I've already seen at gates when families book tickets with no advance seat assignments left, they will complain and scream at the gate that they're not together... and other customers will be asked to move. :mad:

And in my experience the family member who got placed in a middle seat in E+ will be asking the adjacent elite members to move to a middle seat in the back.

tods27 Nov 15, 2016 9:34 am

Originally Posted by MBS MillionMiler (Post 27482607)
Boarding Group 5 (unless you otherwise 'earn' a higher group)?

So, UA uses a WilMA method to 'save time' in boarding (it is one of the most efficient boarding methods). So, they scrap that for the sake of selling cheap fares? How is this supposed to make things 'faster', as they tout?

So, surely an anomaly, but assume there are 5 seats remaining when they clear Economy Basic people into their seats. So, all of those aisle people and possibly middles now have to get out of their seats and bottleneck things worse than the standard practice?

I have a feeling this will be one of the first 'anti-benefits' to be rescinded.

Assuming they enforce the carry-on limitation, the BG5 folks will not need to look for overhead space. At the end of boarding, there isn't much of a bottleneck, even when people need to get up to let others into the middle/aisle seats. The bigger question (which has been asked) is how will they deal with a GS on a Economy Basic ticket when they show up first in line with a carry-on and a personal item.

villox Nov 15, 2016 9:38 am

Originally Posted by tods27 (Post 27483315)
The bigger question (which has been asked) is how will they deal with a GS on a Economy Basic ticket when they show up first in line with a carry-on and a personal item.

Why would this be an issue? GS are allowed to have carry-ons even in basic economy. It would literally only be the people in Group 5 who can't have a carry-on.

"Full-size carry-on bags are not allowed unless you're a Premier member, a primary cardmember of a qualifying MileagePlus credit card, or a Star Alliance Gold member. Basic Economy fares have the same checked baggage policies as regular Economy tickets."

aacharya Nov 15, 2016 9:38 am

Originally Posted by tods27 (Post 27483315)
The bigger question (which has been asked) is how will they deal with a GS on a Economy Basic ticket when they show up first in line with a carry-on and a personal item.

I wouldn't worry about that GS too much - if booking EB, they won't be GS for long.

tods27 Nov 15, 2016 9:40 am

Originally Posted by villox (Post 27483331)
Why would this be an issue? GS are allowed to have carry-ons even in basic economy. It would literally only be the people in Group 5 who can't have a carry-on.

"Full-size carry-on bags are not allowed unless you're a Premier member, a primary cardmember of a qualifying MileagePlus credit card, or a Star Alliance Gold member. Basic Economy fares have the same checked baggage policies as regular Economy tickets."

Oops. Scanned the info too quickly.

nycflyer222 Nov 15, 2016 9:41 am

Originally Posted by dw (Post 27483310)
And in my experience the family member who got placed in a middle seat in E+ will be asking the adjacent elite members to move to a middle seat in the back.

It is REALLY, REALLY annoying. I will have no problem saying no. ;)

DBCme Nov 15, 2016 9:49 am

I wonder if UX routes will be included?
If there are several last minute gate-checked bags because of this policy, would that impact weight/balance issues? What little i remember is they use some average person weight on board, but actual weight in cargo hold?

xliioper Nov 15, 2016 9:52 am

Originally Posted by dw (Post 27482942)
Don't count on it. When DL introduced Basic Economy it was initially limited to nonstop markets where it competed directly with Spirit, etc. However, it has since rolled out to numerous business markets with no ULCC competitor and even internationally. (Though I suppose it is now facing similar LLC competition on Europe flights.)

There are no DL BE fares on TATL routes yet. TPAC yes, but not TATL. Many routes require 2 to 3 week advane purchase which is less likely to ensnare business flyers

milepig Nov 15, 2016 9:53 am

Originally Posted by JBord (Post 27483178)
You won't pay if you have status, at least I didn't see that changing. But the waiting for it (and hoping it shows up) is a much bigger deal to me.

Do we know that this and other benefits will be still awarded to E-- flyers??