FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   United's Basic Economy - Discussion, Q&A, ... {Archive} (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1955471-uniteds-basic-economy-discussion-q-archive.html)

pierre mclopez Nov 15, 2016 8:03 am

Milwaukee 48-55-3490: max UA personal item 9x10x17

Boo_Radley Nov 15, 2016 8:04 am

The "no overhead bags" stipulation is pure genius, since now they can charge for all those BG5 bags that they used to check free.

hyho61 Nov 15, 2016 8:07 am

If anything UA should not give RDMs for these tickets but still give PQM and life time miles. Most customers want RDMs to redeem for awards.

ChicagoAlex Nov 15, 2016 8:07 am

Originally Posted by jsloan (Post 27482450)
If the search engine returns BE fares, I would have the option of selecting a flight where no BE seats were available, but I wouldn't have the option of selecting a non-BE fare on a flight where BE exists.

Unfortunately, per the Chicago Tribune article this morning:
"There's also no limit on the number per flight — any economy customer will have a choice between a regular and basic fare."

http://www.chicagotribune.com/busine...115-story.html

For the reason that JSloan describes - (and perhaps contrary to popular thought) I wish that they would not allow a carry on with basic economy for any travelers, regardless of status. This would all but eliminate any chance that corporate policies could force bookings on these fares (at least for my travel patterns). Win for frequent business travelers, win for United.

Lani1 Nov 15, 2016 8:08 am

Originally Posted by UA Insider (Post 27482275)
Hi everyone,

Today we announced our newest offering, Basic Economy, which will give customers more options when it comes to their travel needs. Basic Economy will also help to speed up the boarding process so our customers can get to where they need to be on time.

While there are some differences to the Basic Economy fare, customers will enjoy the same United Economy cabin experience and services, dining options, Wi-Fi and inflight entertainment options. Available for sale this January, customers will be able to book Basic Economy fares for spring travel.

We will continue to offer a spectrum of products, from Basic Economy to standard economy to Economy Plus, as well as premium cabin experiences in United First and United Polaris.

Watch the video at United Hub to hear more about Basic Economy from our CEO, Oscar Munoz.

Thank you,

-UA Insider

No thanks! was forced to fly Spirit Saturday - basic economy no fun!

afrozenfyre Nov 15, 2016 8:11 am

Originally Posted by hyho61 (Post 27482892)
If anything UA should not give RDMs for these tickets but still give PQM and life time miles. Most customers want RDMs to redeem for awards.

With most of these target customers earning 5x, and the low cost nature of the BE fares, the RDMs earned will be peanuts.

OTOH, if you can sit through 25k+ of BE fares, I agree you still deserve the status.

Mrtrash757 Nov 15, 2016 8:13 am

Originally Posted by sbm12 (Post 27482778)
You should have used Song and Ted as your examples. ;)

That said, the market has already proven that the product is successful. Not that it could be, but that it is. No guarantee that UA's version will succeed. But this is not a new concept that UA invented and is hoping to win with.

I think someone should show a comparison between UA/DL/AA's Basic economy- biggest difference that boggles me is the fact that you have NO overhead bags- not even if you pay? :confused::confused: alot of questions.

From my perspective, it makes total sense, because I assume the regular Y fares will go up, thus improving UA's profitability (especially in the domestic market).

However, I was looking at ORD-DTW-LAS-SLC-ORD on DL for a high demand period next year, and the difference I saw between Basic Economy and Regular Economy was barely $30 per person round trip. Thats a small amount but I am sure RM is licking their chops because it adds up... So it could be a very small difference.

Jury is out until I hear things on my end or see the fares myself. I will refrain from my full judgement.

Edit: First question was about walling off fares- totally expected the answer UA gave- we won't do it unless the customer requests it. Sorry corporate travelers :eek:

ChicagoAlex Nov 15, 2016 8:13 am

In general, this seems like a good idea - might as well fill the seats. I have numerous friends who travel a few times a year for weddings / vacations and are already not loyal to anything except price (not even really to schedule). They don't care about boarding groups, upgrades, or lifetime miles. Good business decision for United to come after them and fill planes on Saturday mornings.

Any news on whether or not they will offer award tickets in "BE" for fewer miles? I'm guessing not since award tickets already don't offer you any status-related benefits or upgrades anyways...

dw Nov 15, 2016 8:15 am

Originally Posted by fastair (Post 27482633)
I haven't read the entire thread, but I'd guess leisure markets more than most as it did say it would be market specific. Similar to Ted. But then again, commuter markets, where carry ons are at maximum could benefit the most from it...

Don't count on it. When DL introduced Basic Economy it was initially limited to nonstop markets where it competed directly with Spirit, etc. However, it has since rolled out to numerous business markets with no ULCC competitor and even internationally. (Though I suppose it is now facing similar LLC competition on Europe flights.)

dw Nov 15, 2016 8:17 am

Originally Posted by ChicagoAlex (Post 27482931)
In general, this seems like a good idea - might as well fill the seats. I have numerous friends who travel a few times a year for weddings / vacations and are already not loyal to anything except price (not even really to schedule).

United is already matching low fares in markets where they compete with ULCCs. Fares will not drop with the introduction of Basic Economy.

minnyfly Nov 15, 2016 8:19 am

I hate basic economy. I go to Google Flights and find a competitive fare for DL, only to find on their site that it's basic economy. It ruins the fare comparison process. But I suppose confusing the landscape is all part of the plan. We'll see how UA prices these, but, with DL at least, it isn't like the fares are at ULCC levels. They're not competitive with Spirit from my experiences. It's an overall price increase as basic economy takes over at the same lowest fare price.

AAerSTL Nov 15, 2016 8:19 am

Seriously haven't you guys known this was forthcoming for 12-18+ months now?

Sure the no carry-on bag and lack of PQM/PQD is new and different. Paying for things that were previously included in your base fare has been going on 15 years now. No one buys a stripped down automobile and wants premium trim level features this should be no different.

Kacee Nov 15, 2016 8:20 am

The writing''s been on the wall here for some time. UA is just keeping up with the market.

Hope there will be a way to exclude these fares from search results .

Mike Jacoubowsky Nov 15, 2016 8:20 am

Elite fee

Why not just offer an elite fee on every ticket and get it over with? I mean really...

drewguy Nov 15, 2016 8:28 am

Originally Posted by smxflyer (Post 27482732)
No PQM, PQD, PQS for basic economy? If this is a significant amount of fares, there really is no point to loyalty.

This is targeting the traveler for whom loyalty provides no benefits (i.e., don't travel enough).