Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

SJO-EWR UA1079 1 Feb 2019 engine issue on take-off video {bird strike/engine stall?)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SJO-EWR UA1079 1 Feb 2019 engine issue on take-off video {bird strike/engine stall?)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1, 2019, 1:03 pm

Programs: UA-G MM, Priority Club Platinum, Avis First, Hertz 5*, Red Lion
Originally Posted by LarryJ
That's a normal repair for when the corner of the surface is damages or delaminating. It wasn't damage caused by today's incident.
I didn't say it wasn't normal repair or that it wasn't an issue for the flight. Do you know for certain that this flap damage existed prior to take-off? Is that a deferral item? best Flaps would likely have still been extended based on the altitude above field. But I wasn't there, just looking at the footage.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 1:50 pm

Originally Posted by prestonh
I didn't say it wasn't normal repair or that it wasn't an issue for the flight. Do you know for certain that this flap damage existed prior to take-off? Is that a deferral item? best Flaps would likely have still been extended based on the altitude above field. But I wasn't there, just looking at the footage.
I think the pilots in this thread clearly stated that this has been a finished and completed repair completely unrelated to and not caused by today's incident.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 2:28 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
The smooth radius of the curve matches an approved procedure for repairing (or remedying) flap damage before the panel can be replaced. The purpose of that particular cut is to eliminate jagged, high-stress points so the defect doesn't spread. The entire panel is then sealed. At a particular interval, the entire flap panel can be replaced, but until then, the repair is signed off and the airplane returns to normal, safe service. I don't believe there's a performance penalty associated with that kind of repair.

Looking at it now, I suspect it's just coincidence, and that the panel is discolored because of the smoke from the #1 engine failure, rather than structural damage occurring as the result of a birdstrike.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 4:04 pm

Originally Posted by EWR764
The smooth radius of the curve matches an approved procedure for repairing (or remedying) flap damage before the panel can be replaced. The purpose of that particular cut is to eliminate jagged, high-stress points so the defect doesn't spread. The entire panel is then sealed. At a particular interval, the entire flap panel can be replaced, but until then, the repair is signed off and the airplane returns to normal, safe service. I don't believe there's a performance penalty associated with that kind of repair.

Looking at it now, I suspect it's just coincidence, and that the panel is discolored because of the smoke from the #1 engine failure, rather than structural damage occurring as the result of a birdstrike.
Thank you, that is what I was looking for. I was not going to take the news report at face value but the photo of the flap did show something, which is what you are describing. So then, what amount of impact would cause that sort of flap damage?
Old Feb 1, 2019, 4:07 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by Redwood839
It's kind of reliable.

They made a big deal out of something like this. The plane had no issues and returned back without issues. It doesn't happen often here so I can see the hype but it's all over the place now.
More reliable:
Incident: United B738 at San Jose on Feb 1st 2019, engine shut down in flight
Old Feb 1, 2019, 4:58 pm

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
Thank you, that is what I was looking for. I was not going to take the news report at face value but the photo of the flap did show something, which is what you are describing. So then, what amount of impact would cause that sort of flap damage?
It isn't flap damage. It is the repair. They cut the arc to have a smooth surface without any stress points that would allow crack to form.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 5:01 pm

It isn't flap damage. It is the repair. They cut the arc to have a smooth surface without any stress points that would allow crack to form.
what level of impact would cause the damage necessitating a repair.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 5:16 pm

Years ago, I was on a UA 737 that had a bird go into an engine when we were 50 feet off the ground. The plane made a big lurch (I assume from losing power) and the engine made a horrible, metalic grinding sound with long flames shootinng along the side of the plane. Passengers were screaming and it was very scary.

We finished the ascent (which really ended the risk), circled awhile, dumped some fuel and made a perfect one engine landing.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 5:54 pm

what level of impact would cause the damage necessitating a repair.
I don't understand the question. There is/was no impact. The repair is typically accomplished when the skin on the flap starts to delaminate at the corner.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 5:56 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Mountain Trader
Years ago, I was on a UA 737 that had a bird go into an engine when we were 50 feet off the ground. The plane made a big lurch (I assume from losing power) and the engine made a horrible, metalic grinding sound with long flames shootinng along the side of the plane. Passengers were screaming and it was very scary.

We finished the ascent (which really ended the risk), circled awhile, dumped some fuel and made a perfect one engine landing.

Moot point, but 737’s don’t dump fuel.

I’ve been both in the cockpit flying and as a passenger during an engine failure. I get the anxiety with it, not a fun situation.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 9:45 pm

Originally Posted by clubord

Moot point, but 737’s don’t dump fuel.

I’ve been both in the cockpit flying and as a passenger during an engine failure. I get the anxiety with it, not a fun situation.
The pilot announcement included a reference to getting rid of some fuel, after which we flew around for 20-30 minutes. Then we went in and landed.
Old Feb 2, 2019, 5:43 am

The pilot announcement included a reference to getting rid of some fuel, after which we flew around for 20-30 minutes. Then we went in and landed.
You get rid of fuel by flying around for 20-30 minutes.
SFO 1K likes this.
Old Feb 2, 2019, 7:12 am

B737s don't have a fuel jettison system. The only way to reduce the fuel weight is to burn it.

This is true for most narrowbody aircraft and even some widebodies. The last narrowbody, that I can remember, with fuel jettison was the B727. The even older DC8 had it as well. The B767 had fuel jettison as an option but many were built without it. I'm not sure if the B757 had it as an option. Can't remember ever seeing one that had it.
Old Feb 2, 2019, 7:52 am

B737s don't have a fuel jettison system. The only way to reduce the fuel weight is to burn it.

This is true for most narrowbody aircraft and even some widebodies. The last narrowbody, that I can remember, with fuel jettison was the B727. The even older DC8 had it as well. The B767 had fuel jettison as an option but many were built without it. I'm not sure if the B757 had it as an option. Can't remember ever seeing one that had it.
Same point made up thread. See Meola’s answer above.

The pilot may have had other things on his mind than the announcement. I know I did.
Old Feb 2, 2019, 9:36 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Interesting comment on avherald about the gear still being down.

Due to the zoom it's hard to tell how far they are off the ground, but it does appear to be long enough into the flight to have already retracted the gear.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.