Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United claims Goose strike, Passenger sues because 'they're lying.'

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United claims Goose strike, Passenger sues because 'they're lying.'

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2019, 10:13 am

Originally Posted by Continited
When did this supposed bird strike occur? A bird strike at cruise does seem highly unlikely... if it occurred earlier in the flight during climb out, why did they get all the way to Goose Bay? Something doesn’t add up...
Might want to check up on facts.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...flight_heights
downinit likes this.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 10:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Instead, he wants to hold United accountable and is seeking “fair compensation” for his bodily injury and severe emotional distress as a result of the “brush with death.”
What kind of bodily injury?
downinit and mrcool1122 like this.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 10:19 am

Programs: DL Plat
Originally Posted by malgudi
Only 2 of those species listed can climb above 30k feet, and one inhabits Europe/Asia and the other Africa... neither Canada. Thank you for the facts.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 10:37 am

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
Maybe the snowflake plaintiff gets sucked into a toilet and can claim emotional distress, blaming American Standard. Actually I hope he walks into a pole while texting and sues Apple for allowing him to be distracted.

UA isn't perfect, nobody is, but I've never met a pilot that would invent something in some grand coverup.

Last edited by COSPILOT; Jan 24, 2019 at 10:43 am
Old Jan 24, 2019, 10:37 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by prestonh
so the pilot statements are inaccurate?
You think the pilots actually made statements like what is being depicted by the accuser?

I have a bridge to sell you!

I know one of the pilots on that flight, spoke soon after this event happened last year.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 10:49 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Boogie711
I think even you would agree there is a WORLD of difference between "the flight was diverted because of a mechanical failure" and "We're going to claim it was a bird strike publicly, just so we don't admit we almost killed everyone on board due to negligence."
IANAL but in generally the USA court system doesn't award damages based on potential risks along the lines of "we could have died". I would think that what an individual can get for being held on board rather than deplaned in Goose Bay would be small, especially since the UA CoC has a disclaimer about incidental damages such as "I could have made a million dollar deal if only I had been allowed into the terminal."

Wouldn't the big issue for UA be how the incident was reported to the FAA? If it really was a maintenance failure that caused the problem (specifically routine or nonroutine maintenance being improperly performed) and UA blaimed it on a bird to avoid penalities or additional inspections, this could be huge (but not lead to a big payout for the plaintiff).
Old Jan 24, 2019, 11:49 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Mariott Gold
I'll let you dispute this one, I for one would appreciate getting on the ground alive. YMMV :
Where are you getting that quote from? I don't see it in the article?

FWIW, I am referring to the unattributed allegation that it was from:
Instead, they believe the incident was a result of a United mechanic over-torqueing the bolts of the cockpit window
Old Jan 24, 2019, 12:07 pm

Programs: UA-G MM, Priority Club Platinum, Avis First, Hertz 5*, Red Lion
Originally Posted by jhayes_1780
Where are you getting that quote from? I don't see it in the article?

FWIW, I am referring to the unattributed allegation that it was from:
The lawsuit.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jan 24, 2019 at 3:01 pm Reason: removed snark
Old Jan 24, 2019, 12:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Two things come to mind: first, in exchange for this lawsuit and potentially no, or trivial, damages, presumably the Plaintiff will be kicked out of MP, losing his MM status and any RDMs he may have.

Second, I thought the three hour tarmac rule doesn’t apply outside the USA.
nancypants and AceReport like this.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 12:22 pm

Programs: UA-G MM, Priority Club Platinum, Avis First, Hertz 5*, Red Lion
Originally Posted by lhrsfo
Two things come to mind: first, in exchange for this lawsuit and potentially no, or trivial, damages, presumably the Plaintiff will be kicked out of MP, losing his MM status and any RDMs he may have.

Second, I thought the three hour tarmac rule doesn’t apply outside the USA.
U.S. carriers operating international flights departing from or arriving in the United States must specify, in advance, their own time limits for deplaning passengers
Old Jan 24, 2019, 12:25 pm

The lawsuit.
Its a shame you can't (or won't) cite your cite your source.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jan 24, 2019 at 3:06 pm Reason: Quote updated to reflect Moderator edit; let's maintain civility
Old Jan 24, 2019, 12:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Boogie711
I will say I was prepared to write him off as a crazy, until I saw he's flown over 1M miles with United...
Some (many?) would interpret the million miles as evidence in support of your initial assumption.
sakaike, wrp96, Dave510 and 1 others like this.
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jhayes_1780
Its a shame you can't (or won't) cite your cite your source.
The lawsuit is linked from the original news report.
jhayes_1780 and nexusCFX like this.

I did not see a record of a bird strike in the FAA database: https://wildlife.faa.gov/databaseSearch.aspx

Doesn't mean it didn't happen, as it is a voluntary system. UAL is a pretty good reporter though, having had 503 reports attributed to it in 2018.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 12:31 pm

Originally Posted by jsloan
The lawsuit is linked from the original news report.
Thank you!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.