Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Aggressiveness of Cleanup at United Clubs

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2019, 11:30 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC E75K

Is it just me or does UA instruct its United Club cleaning staff to not allow an empty plate or cup to sit for more than 15 seconds on a table?

I'm usually trying to work with some privacy and find the constant cleaning staff hovering and asking if they can clear something away quite intrusive.

This is primarily based on my experience at the SFO United Club near Boarding Area E.

Can anyone else relate?
Old Jan 12, 2019, 11:34 am
Suspended

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Hilton Gold
They're trying to get people in and out. If you think UCs are bad, check out the Centurion Lounges. I go through four sets of silverware each time I visit one.
AirMiles2001 likes this.
Old Jan 12, 2019, 11:36 am

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Maybe they don't have enough plates and glasses and need to clean them to always have a supply for the next customers. I think it's good if they clear plates fast enough as dirty dishes with leftover food don't make the ambiance appealing. One empty glass is less of a problem in the ambiance department.
MSPpete and royng like this.
Old Jan 12, 2019, 11:41 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
And yet you check other threads and there are complaints about dirty dishes left about -- I think this is a case you can not please everyone. And yes, I have had to say -- "not yet" but I prefer that over the alternative.
Old Jan 12, 2019, 11:54 am

Programs: UA 1K 25 years/2MM, Honors LT Diamond, AVIS & Hertz Prez Club
We used to hear about how dirty the clubs were. I appreciate the attention to detail and keeping things in order. Makes for a better experience.
Just goes to show, you can't please everyone, but I prefer the present situation over the alternative.
Often1, loomis, royng and 6 others like this.
Old Jan 12, 2019, 12:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC E75K
Interesting to hear to diversity of opinion and glad to know I'm not just making this up. I think @joe_miami is onto something about them trying to increase the velocity of customer flow.
bruceba likes this.
Old Jan 12, 2019, 12:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
And yet you check other threads and there are complaints about dirty dishes left about -- I think this is a case you can not please everyone. And yes, I have had to say -- "not yet" but I prefer that over the alternative.
This.

I appreciate the diligence rather than having the UC looking like some fast food joint. I would also appreciate if the mouth of yappers talking and laughing at the highest volume like the UC is their own living room can be cleaned up in the same fashion.
lamphs, bmustaf and Live4Upgrade like this.
Old Jan 12, 2019, 1:31 pm

Originally Posted by capedreamer
Interesting to hear to diversity of opinion and glad to know I'm not just making this up. I think @joe_miami is onto something about them trying to increase the velocity of customer flow.
In my opinion it has nothing to with the velocity of customer flow. If my flight is in 4 hours, I'm going to stay in the UC 3 hours and 20 minutes even if for the last 2 hours I don't consume anything.

Maybe I misunderstood the comment. The velocity of customer able to get food on a plate is indeed related to the availability of clean plates near the food.
Old Jan 12, 2019, 2:00 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Hilton Gold
The UCs don't care if you stay and don't consume anything. They just don't want the table full of dirty plates and cups when you leave, as new arrivals won't want to sit there.
Old Jan 12, 2019, 2:26 pm

Programs: UA 1K, CO Plat, NW Plat, Marriott Premiere Plat, SPG Plat, Priority Gold, Hilton Gold
I've generally found that used plates/silverware/glassware are removed about as promptly as one would expect without being annoying.

And given the self-serve nature of a lot of the food, having people start with a fresh plate each time isn't a bad thing.
cawhite and halls120 like this.
Old Jan 12, 2019, 2:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Is it just me or does UA instruct its United Club cleaning staff to not allow an empty plate or cup to sit for more than 15 seconds on a table?
The vendor(s) that UA contracts with may instruct its UC cleaning staff not to allow an empty plate or cup to sit ... and UA may request that its vendor instruct the vendor's staff, but UA does not instruct the UA club cleaning staff.
Old Jan 12, 2019, 2:48 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Can anyone else relate?
Nope.

I appreciate they keep the SFO clubs clean. And that they're polite about asking before clearing items. Try EWR UCs some time, that may change your perspective.
halls120, cawhite, mmack and 3 others like this.
Old Jan 12, 2019, 4:27 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP. Hilton Diamond
Clean is good. I'd rather have it removed than like some Priority Pass lounge where its all a mess.
Old Jan 12, 2019, 5:40 pm

Originally Posted by joe_miami
The UCs don't care if you stay and don't consume anything. They just don't want the table full of dirty plates and cups when you leave, as new arrivals won't want to sit there.
Yes, that was my point in Post #3 .
Old Jan 12, 2019, 5:46 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Many people swing through airport lounges for just a few minutes. Nobody wants to sit at a seat with filthy food-covered plates so it goes empty. Thus, they "bus" the tables fairly constantly.

It's a good thing. I hope they don't change it. If you can't be bothered to politely waive off the crew, you are doomed to the fate of having to get yourself another fork.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.