Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Impact of partner cash upgrades when crediting UA MP

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21, 2023, 10:04 pm
Original Poster

Hi,

I did a cash upgrade from Eco Q to Biz P on ZRH-BOM sector operated by Swiss for an upcoming flight EWR-ZRH-BOM. The ticket is 016 and EWR-ZRH is in Eco T on UA metal. I paid Swiss for the upgrade. Post the upgrade EWR-ZRH is still in T but ZRH-BOM shows P as class code.:
1. Will I get MP miles for the new upgraded class or the original booked class with UA?
2. If I change the FF to Aeroplan, will I earn according to the new upgraded class or the original booked class with Aeroplan?
Old Apr 21, 2023, 10:37 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by kalebhushan
... I did a cash upgrade from Eco Q to Biz P on ZRH-BOM sector operated by Swiss for an upcoming flight EWR-ZRH-BOM. The ticket is 016 and EWR-ZRH is in Eco T on UA metal. I paid Swiss for the upgrade. Post the upgrade EWR-ZRH is still in T but ZRH-BOM shows P as class code.:
1. Will I get MP miles for the new upgraded class or the original booked class with UA? ...
All flights on a UA ticket (crediting to UA MP) earn miles based on original ticket price. Cash upgrades paid to the partner change nothing.
...2. If I change the FF to Aeroplan, will I earn according to the new upgraded class or the original booked class with Aeroplan?
That depends on what the operating carrier reports to the crediting program, It is a mixed bag after a cash upgrade -- best to ask in the AC forum how it results after a cash upgrade on LX
Old Apr 22, 2023, 9:36 am

Hi,

I did a cash upgrade from Eco Q to Biz P on ZRH-BOM sector operated by Swiss for an upcoming flight EWR-ZRH-BOM. The ticket is 016 and EWR-ZRH is in Eco T on UA metal. I paid Swiss for the upgrade. Post the upgrade EWR-ZRH is still in T but ZRH-BOM shows P as class code.:
1. Will I get MP miles for the new upgraded class or the original booked class with UA?
2. If I change the FF to Aeroplan, will I earn according to the new upgraded class or the original booked class with Aeroplan?
I was successful on a ZRH-JFK Swiss Upgrade Bid last month. Ticket was Swiss-issued and the upgrade cleared about 48 hours before flight time. Their web page states that you do get higher mileage earning and I can confirm this. I credited the flight to Aeroplan and earned 3915 points "business discount P class" , whereas on the outbound (JFK-GVA) that was not upgraded I earned 1924 points "Economy Deep Discount L class" (in both cases not counting elite status bonus). So it looks like you get 2x for paid upgrades.

DAK
Old Apr 22, 2023, 9:41 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dkerr
I was successful on a ZRH-JFK Swiss Upgrade Bid last month. Ticket was Swiss-issued and the upgrade cleared about 48 hours before flight time. Their web page states that you do get higher mileage earning and I can confirm this. I credited the flight to Aeroplan and earned 3915 points "business discount P class" , whereas on the outbound (JFK-GVA) that was not upgraded I earned 1924 points "Economy Deep Discount L class" (in both cases not counting elite status bonus). So it looks like you get 2x for paid upgrades.

DAK
what was ZRH-JFK original booked class on your ticket? Also United P earns 150% of flown miles on Aeroplan. So I hope to receive more.
Old Apr 22, 2023, 9:45 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by dkerr
I got increased UA PQP and RDM for a cash upgrade from P to A on LX in December. I can't figure out how it was calculated. Definitely not dollar for dollar credit and I don't think it was 2x base PQP either.
Old Apr 22, 2023, 9:51 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Kacee
I got increased UA PQP and RDM for a cash upgrade from P to A on LX in December. I can't figure out how it was calculated. Definitely not dollar for dollar credit and I don't think it was 2x base PQP either.
yeah that I what I am thinking. I think it’s calculated well at https://pqp.economiles.com/
Old Apr 22, 2023, 10:05 am

what was ZRH-JFK original booked class on your ticket? Also United P earns 150% of flown miles on Aeroplan. So I hope to receive more.
The original booked ticket was L class. I do not know what the reissued ticket listed, I assume P as that is what the Aeroplan site shows I was credited for.
Old Apr 22, 2023, 10:06 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Kacee
I got increased UA PQP and RDM for a cash upgrade from P to A on LX in December....
Was the original flight cash or award purchase? What was the ticket stock?
Old Apr 22, 2023, 10:53 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Was the original flight cash or award purchase? What was the ticket stock?
It was a UA P fare.
Old Apr 22, 2023, 11:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Sometimes happens for LH-group upgrades. They issue e.g. a 220 'ticket' for the upgrade and that can cause the flight to credit like it is a '220' ticket. Has been annoying to correct when the 016 ticket would yield more, but it can work in your favor when the opposite is true.
I have not yet found rhyme or reason for when it credits like a 016 or a '220' ticket. OP, YMMV ... when crediting to AC then it should credit like a P fare.
SPN Lifer likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.