Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

The "reverse delay" (gate not available on arrival) at ORD & elsewhere

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The "reverse delay" (gate not available on arrival) at ORD & elsewhere

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2019, 7:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by eng3
This occurs at every busy airport. I personally see it most at ORD and SFO. The last time I had Ch9, upon arrival at SFO, I listed in and literally every other arriving flight had to wait for a gate.

The delay isn't always due to a gate being unavailable. There is only so much room to get to a gate or into a gate alleyway so if you suddenly have several planes pushing back around the same time, it can take a while to clear the area so you can get in. I doubt they like to move gates around, especially since you have to move all the people waiting at the gate and all the bags over to the other gate. Also, with so many planes waiting around, the guy in charge of reshuffling the gates may be busy trying to get another plane (with higher priority) into a gate.
Airlines seem to like to schedule their flights all around the same time too.
I've wondered about this practice. I imagine it's done to simplify the ground crew's work? As a passenger, when boarding from the Greyhound sections of EWR and IAD, it takes some concentration to know if you'll go to Burlington or Jacksonville.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 7:38 pm

One reason I have a UC membership: I get to book long layovers. If we disembark on time, I can wait around/work in the UC; if we don't, it's only a minor annoyance.

I also mostly connect through DEN and ORD, which has this happen all too often.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 7:40 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by fumje
I've wondered about this practice. I imagine it's done to simplify the ground crew's work? As a passenger, when boarding from the Greyhound sections of EWR and IAD, it takes some concentration to know if you'll go to Burlington or Jacksonville.
Google for "Banked Hub". The US airlines don't do this to the same extent as someone like Emirates, but they still follow the same model at many airports.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 7:42 pm

Programs: UA 1K HH Diamond
Mostly to optimize connection times (and I'm sure financial benefits in some forms to airlines). Do a search on flight banks and there's some good explanations from airline ops people.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 7:48 pm

For all practical purposes your flight was not 'on-time'. People did not make their connection. How is it on-time?
To what person does landing and not actually letting anybody depart mean 'you arrived?'
You have not arrived until you can get off.
If you started using this definition then you can say anything. Like your driver has arrived at the airport to pick you up. Oh, except they are at another terminal. And it takes 20 minutes to come to yours.
Or your cruise boat has arrived, except it cannot dock. Even better, maybe it is not allowed to dock because of immigration issues. So has it arrived?
jessmack likes this.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 7:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by docbert
Google for "Banked Hub". The US airlines don't do this to the same extent as someone like Emirates, but they still follow the same model at many airports.
Originally Posted by rolltribe
Mostly to optimize connection times (and I'm sure financial benefits in some forms to airlines). Do a search on flight banks and there's some good explanations from airline ops people.
Thanks for the keywords — leads to some interesting reading. As with everything in airlines, that seems to come down to a question of revenue.

I was in particular referring to the practice of scheduling, e.g., IAD gates A2A, A2B, ..., A2E to all leave within 15min of each other. There seems to be both flight banking and 'gate banking' in that case, and for the passenger it seems confusing (when compared to potentially schedule A1A, A2A, ..., A5A). It's only for the ground crew that I can see it making sense.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 8:25 pm

Location: What I write is my opinion alone..don't read into it anything not written.
Deicing is a major issue this time of year. ORD doesn't (currently) have dedicated permanent deicing pads (some remote deicing is done) which adds significant time to push back as well as many addl vehicles (deicing trucks/snow removal at times) on the ramp causing even more gate congestion. Don't worry, they'll bulldoze most of the buildings over the next decade and hopefully build a more efficient system.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 8:30 pm

I imagine [banking is] done to simplify the ground crew's work?
I think in general, banking makes things a lot harder for ground crew, because they need to process a bunch of flights at once and then have a bunch of down time.

A steadier departure schedule would make more consistent use of a smaller labor pool.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 8:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by fastair
Deicing is a major issue this time of year. ORD doesn't (currently) have dedicated permanent deicing pads (some remote deicing is done) which adds significant time to push back as well as many addl vehicles (deicing trucks/snow removal at times) on the ramp causing even more gate congestion. Don't worry, they'll bulldoze most of the buildings over the next decade and hopefully build a more efficient system.
this, too. In North America, almost every other airport that I can recall where de-icing is typically needed has a de-icing pad - at least, the ones I typically fly to. Planes depart the gate, wait their turn, get de-iced, and then typically take off immediately. This solves multiple issues - including the gate occupied issue. It also highly reduces the risk of having ice build up while waiting for take off - the line builds up before the aircraft is de-iced, not after, as can be an issue if you de-ice at the gate, then have to wait in line again to take off. Also offers multiple efficiencies - including for the crews de-icing who no longer need to travel to various places to do their work.

that said, I habent had this issue much - occasionally, but not as much for me personally in the last couple of years. And when I have, it hasn’t compared to the waits I’ve had sometimes at YYZ with AC.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 10:04 pm

Originally Posted by docbert
...the alleys into the stands are so narrow that they generally can't move more than one airport at a time through them....
Watch out for the moving airports!! Very hard to land on those runways.
jsloan and docbert like this.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 11:52 pm

Originally Posted by dblumenhoff
Watch out for the moving airports!! Very hard to land on those runways.
I dunno...Naval aircraft seem to do it all the time.....
Zorak likes this.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 6:12 am

Programs: Southwest, Best Western Gold, La Quinta, Dollar
Originally Posted by StuckinITH
I had the same thing happen at ORD. It was a UAX flight. I knew I was going to have problems when the plane instead of going to the gates in the F concourse kept going and going. We visited the whole ORD airport and stopped in a distant location with no other plane in sight. After a long wait, the plane went going and going visiting the whole ORD airport again until we got to our gate in the F concourse.
That seems to be the norm at ORD more often than not. Well, maybe without the stop and long wait. If it were not for the familiar scenery outside the windows, I might have wondered if we'd landed at Rockford instead and were now taxiing all the way to O'Hare.
jessmack likes this.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 8:18 am
Carlson Contributor Badge

Programs: M&M FTL, Miles+Bonus Gold
LarryJ you better hide the username net time
Old Jan 8, 2019, 8:57 am
Original Poster

Programs: MileagePlus Premier 1K
Originally Posted by rufflesinc
I imagine having a remote gate and bussed to terminal looks pretty good at that point
EXACTLY. Anything! Just get us off the plane!
Old Jan 8, 2019, 8:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: MileagePlus Premier 1K
Originally Posted by StuckinITH
I had the same thing happen at ORD. It was a UAX flight. I knew I was going to have problems when the plane instead of going to the gates in the F concourse kept going and going. We visited the whole ORD airport and stopped in a distant location with no other plane in sight. Then the pilot said that we had to wait there as there were no gates available for our flight. After a long wait, the plane went going and going visiting the whole ORD airport again until we got to our gate in the F concourse.

I made my connecting flight but only because I never book the first option that the UA website gives me. One hour connection, not good. Two hours connection, better. And I can wait in the UC. This time there was not even time to get the newspaper in the UC.
I completely agree that I never trust a one hour connection on United anymore b/c of these reverse delays!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.