FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2019] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1949505-have-simple-question-about-united-airlines-mileageplus-ask-here-2019-a.html)

EmailKid Jul 13, 2019 10:19 pm

If you have a couple of computer you could try that.

Different browsers should do the same.

If it were me I would eat the phone fee and call if I really really wanted the seats.

mahasamatman Jul 14, 2019 12:01 pm

Originally Posted by EmailKid (Post 31301115)
If you have a couple of computer you could try that. Different browsers should do the same.

And neither one guarantees anything.

Originally Posted by EmailKid (Post 31301115)
If it were me I would eat the phone fee and call if I really really wanted the seats.

Same here.

getagb Jul 14, 2019 4:40 pm

Had a BWI-SFO-ORD multi city flight (7 days in SF). First flight was B fare, second was W (and I applied a GS RPU).

Both flights credited with 1.5x PQM & PQS, I was expecting this for the B flight but not the W. Is this a bug, or am I missing something?

mahasamatman Jul 14, 2019 4:53 pm

Originally Posted by getagb (Post 31303425)
Both flights credited with 1.5x PQM & PQS, I was expecting this for the B flight but not the W. Is this a bug, or am I missing something?

You're missing the quality of United's IT department.

Dublin_rfk Jul 16, 2019 3:41 am

I'm sure I missed the answer somewhere.
At what point do GPUs get refunded to the account they where applied from?
Case in point four (2) GPUs where applied to PHL - ANC and return. Upgrades where approved at the gate.
My understanding is the come off at T24.

StuckinITH Jul 16, 2019 4:55 am

Originally Posted by Dublin_rfk (Post 31308430)
I'm sure I missed the answer somewhere.
Case in point four (2) GPUs where applied to PHL - ANC and return. Upgrades where approved at the gate.

I don't think I understand your question. Are you expecting the GPUs to be returned even though your upgrades cleared at the gate?

At this point your GPUs are considered used and will not be returned. If you thought that your chances of clearing CPUs were great, you should have called United to remove the waitlisted GPUs. I think that you have to do that at about T-25 (or maybe I'm confusing that deadline for the deadline for other actions......).

These days on most of my routes, my RPUs only clear at the gate as United will try to see if other passengers will be tempted by the TODs.

findark Jul 16, 2019 7:03 am

If the upgrade request is never confirmed, the instrument is usually redeposited within 24 hours of departure; if you haven't seen it in a week you can call and ask as problems with the redeposit are common.

StuckinITH Jul 16, 2019 7:39 am

Originally Posted by findark (Post 31308905)
If the upgrade request is never confirmed, the instrument is usually redeposited within 24 hours of departure; if you haven't seen it in a week you can call and ask as problems with the redeposit are common.

I don't know. I read: "upgrades were approved at the gate". To me that means that upgrades cleared at the gate.

mahasamatman Jul 16, 2019 7:43 am

Originally Posted by Dublin_rfk (Post 31308430)

Only if they do not clear. There is no "24 hour" rule.

findark Jul 16, 2019 7:47 am

Originally Posted by StuckinITH (Post 31309006)
I don't know. I read: "upgrades were approved at the gate". To me that means that upgrades cleared at the gate.

Yeah, hence the "if" :)

Unclear what happened to OP, as asking for your instrument back if it cleared makes no sense.

Aussienarelle Jul 16, 2019 8:30 am

Has there been a change to the visa system that United uses?

For my last three international flights I have not been able to complete OLCI. All flights have return itineraries with United so onward tickets available, passport and GC details are on the system. It had been a "visa" issue but no visas have been required (great advantage of an Australian passport), an onward ticket which was with United), not sure why I cannot do OLCI today but checked no visa required provided stay is not more than 90 days and return ticket is in 15 days.

Fortunately on each flight I have not been waiting on an upgrade so time of check-in is not relevant but this may not always be the case.

EmailKid Jul 16, 2019 8:45 am

Originally Posted by Aussienarelle (Post 31309196)
Has there been a change to the visa system that United uses?

For my last three international flights I have not been able to complete OLCI. All flights have return itineraries with United so onward tickets available, passport and GC details are on the system. It had been a "visa" issue but no visas have been required (great advantage of an Australian passport), an onward ticket which was with United), not sure why I cannot do OLCI today but checked no visa required provided stay is not more than 90 days and return ticket is in 15 days.

Fortunately on each flight I have not been waiting on an upgrade so time of check-in is not relevant but this may not always be the case.

If there is a visa requirement for US citizens, I would be really surprised if UA would make an exception for non US passports.

As mahasamatman posted in this thread late yesterday, the crack UA IT team (or worrds to that effect)

Moreover, line empoyees at checkin counter ... there was a time where shortly after the merger I could NOT check in for any Int'l flight despite having my passport verified and checked in online with both PMUA and PMCO.

This lasted for at least two if not three years, and resolved itself all by itself all of sudden with no action on my part,

Aussienarelle Jul 16, 2019 8:53 am

Originally Posted by EmailKid (Post 31309246)
If there is a visa requirement for US citizens, I would be really surprised if UA would make an exception for non US passports.

As mahasamatman posted in this thread late yesterday, the crack UA IT team(or worrds to that effect)

Moreover, line empoyees at checkin counter ... there was a time where shortly after the merger I could NOT check in for any Int'l flight despite having my passport verified and checked in online with both PMUA and PMCO.

This lasted for at least two if not three years, and resolved itself all by itself all of sudden with no actio on my part,

The inability for OLCI has only been the last four weeks but a couple of the destinations have been the same as prior countries to which I have traveled with no OLCI issues - do hope I do not have to wait two/three years for it to resolve itself.

My point about the passport is that an Australian passport (similar to a US passport) has little visa requirements for non-business travel of less than 30/60/90 days.

Yes perhaps UA IT is now giving job security to the check-in folks (my comment to the phone reps for all the things I now need to call them about to get fixed)

goodeats21 Jul 16, 2019 12:08 pm

Originally Posted by Aussienarelle (Post 31309280)
The inability for OLCI has only been the last four weeks but a couple of the destinations have been the same as prior countries to which I have traveled with no OLCI issues - do hope I do not have to wait two/three years for it to resolve itself.

My point about the passport is that an Australian passport (similar to a US passport) has little visa requirements for non-business travel of less than 30/60/90 days.

Yes perhaps UA IT is now giving job security to the check-in folks (my comment to the phone reps for all the things I now need to call them about to get fixed)

I was not able to OLCI for my Intl trip earlier this month...first time in ages. Normal Round Trip on 016 ticket. Same USA passport that has been used for OLCI many times before, etc.
I was also unable to view any Boarding Passes on the App for the entire trip. Not sure if related.

Something unusual seems to be going on....

Aussienarelle Jul 16, 2019 2:42 pm

Originally Posted by goodeats21 (Post 31310087)
I was not able to OLCI for my Intl trip earlier this month...first time in ages. Normal Round Trip on 016 ticket. Same USA passport that has been used for OLCI many times before, etc.
I was also unable to view any Boarding Passes on the App for the entire trip. Not sure if related.

Something unusual seems to be going on....

Good to know it is not just me.

Although I have been able to see all the BPs on the app after check in at the airport.